A&H

Open Age Instructions to Club linesmen

The Referee Store
Unless I know them personally, there is no way I would take their word that they are 'qualified'.

I have had a parent, who had been involved in their kids' football for ten years, react with surprise when i told him I had passed the Level 1 course. "What, you have to pass a test to be a referee?"

Some, unfortunately, believe they are 'qualified' just because they are 'experienced' :-(

Unless they can prove their qualification, I;m not taking their word for it!

It might just be me but when I ask for a CAR I don't normally get many volunteers. My briefing goes like this,
" Just do ins and outs please, no offsides, remember all of the ball over all of the line, if you don't know which way the throw is just tell me and I will make my best guess. If there are any problems during the game, get my attention when play stops and I will come over and talk to you. Thanks for volunteering."

I played in a match this season (U15), the ball went out for a throw in, ref turned to our CAR who shrugged his shoulders (it went out of play like a game of pinball) and the ref just guessed and gave it against us. A parent from our team the shouted "Oi ref that was ours" to which the ref replied (shouted very loudly) from about 30 yards away "Shut Up!!!!!!!!" (*commence roar of laughter from both sets of parents and both teams*)

In fairness is as being a little flippant when I used the word cheat. Brian Hamilton has articulated my thoughts very well.

Impartiality and competence are the key issues, not cheating.

I'm very much with Dan on what I say to them. I simply say the following:

In and out of play, if no idea as to who it came off simply raise flag.
Can raise flag for offside, I will decide if he is offending I.e. Interfering with play, it will be backup to me thinking he was offside already unless I've been caught out and miles away from play.
No flags for fouls, all mine.
Be as close to play as you can be to add to your decision ( some I get are old boys), if miles away I will decide.
Any dramas with players or crowd etc just raise flag, I will deal with it, do not come on the FOP.
Thank you very much for your assistance it is appreciated.

I've had everything from club linesman, from them being on their phone rather than watching play, fighting with subs, constantly raising their flag when guy was ten yards onside to those who have been almost as helpful as neutral assistants and have helped massively.

I've recently over from Westmorland into west riding so it was a shock for me to not have CAR's doing offsides as well as goal kick/corner and throw-ins...

My first game in West riding I approached the managers about liners doing offsides as well as throw ins and corners, to which they said "good luck finding one to do that, they'll run a mile"...

I personally think that CAR's should be expected to have a basic knows ge of offsides and be able to apply it to assist the referee. After all if they don't understand some of what I call the smaller details eg can't be offside from a goal kick then I can always wave play on and thank them for raising their flag at least

I can't imagine why you would want an AR whose neutrality you cannot trust.

My first year of refereeing (in Nelson, for Matty's benefit) the practice was to have ARs always watching their own defence, and ask them to call offsides. In my experience there were far too many times when I suspected that the AR either didn't understand the rules (in spite of the talk before the game) or worse were deliberately flagging any attacker who got through their line. Then you're left in the awkward situation of having an AR in a better position to see the offside, and suspecting they are wrong but having no way of knowing for sure.

Here in Wellington, the advice from coaches is clear - use clube ARs if you want them, but only ask them to call ball in or out of play. I see no reason to use them for maybe 1 or 2 times in the game where I can't be sure the whole ball has crossed th line.

Here in Nottinghamshire it is expected we use AR for offside and throw ins. Nothing more, but we are expected to over rule if we disagree, which I sometimes do but I don't normally have a problem with CAR. I do check their knowledge of offside etc before I give them my flags and most of the time they know what to do.

Reading through the four pages of this thread was a treat - but I'm amazed at how many CFAs do not give clear guidance to their referees. And how a referee can be expected to make even semi-accurate calls on offsides is beyond me... sometimes the ball can be lumped from the defending teams' corner flag to ten yards inside the opposition half, how the hell are referees expected to make a call in such a situation?

At Kent FA, we are advised to use CARs for:

Ball in/out (throws, goal kicks, corners) and which way
Offside
Goalkeeper off line at PK
Feet offences at Throws

We are also generally told to not allow CARs to offer an opinion as to fouls, however, I generally tend to give CARs an option to put their flag up if they spot something, mainly because I know a lot of them very well (been reffing the same 12 teams from a league (most of the time, at least!) for around 18 months now).

My pre-match talks will generally go as follows:

"Good afternoon, thanks for volunteering to help out today, much appreciated.
As I'm sure you guys already know, we're instructed to give these talks before every match and so I will just give you a quick run through of what I will be requiring your help with today.
Please try to stay in-line with your 2nd last defender at all times if you can, this way you're best positioned to spot offsides and you should avoid most criticism about not keeping up.
Throws, if whole of the ball is over the line please flag which way - if you are unsure please raise flag straight up and I will go with my instinct.
Offsides, please remember the player must be active, he must have touched the ball or be making a clear effort to get to the ball, or have interfered with another player clearly... just because he's in an offside position doesn't mean he's committed the offence. If the ball has run through to GK etc please don't flag, no need to unnecessarily stop the game!
Corners and goal kicks, corner is a straight flag downwards towards the corner arc, goal kick a straight flag along the 6-yard line please.
And finally, fouls, generally I will pickup all fouls and make the decisions, however if you spot something off the ball or something where you are much closer than I am, or I am distracted by a player down or similar, please feel free to flag and I will come to you for clarification.
Any grief from parents players or managers please put your flag up at ball out of play and give me a shout.
Any questions?
Cheers lads, enjoy the game!"

Back