A&H

Law changes

one

RefChat Addict
How long does it take for players to understand the major and common law changes?

3 seasons on and we still get opponent players coming to a dropped ball saying I'll kick it to them. This happens in almost every dropped ball and at all levels. "Noooo, they had the ball and they will get the dropped ball. You have to stay back".

What other old laws do you get quoted by players?

The Referee Store
There's plenty of referee's in England who are still using the old drop ball law, I'd like to say a small minority but...

"He's got to go off" after you let a player stay on after assessment because you'd cautioned the offender.

Reactions: one
Restarting from an offside in the other half is fun
Fortunately I only had it three times, once as ref, once as Ar
Accompanied of course with shouts that the restart cant be there, and so on

The drop ball law seems to be understood by the majority now. Thankfully.

Handball is a complete mess at the moment due to the revisions and inconsistent applications. Players demand for every handling incident, and some ref's give in, some don't, it's all over the place.

The one that's still confusing for players, because of the rarity of it happening is offside in the player's own half.

I would say handball is the worst imo, every time it hits a hand, even when belted at the player from a yard is a cry of handball!

Don't get me started on those that shout for it when it bounces off the top of a shoulder, or the players side of the body or pecs...

The practice over recent years of stage managing drop balls has led to all kinds of assumptions and expectations. In my game this past weekend I had stopped play to restart with a drop ball to the defending team in the middle of their own half. An attacking player, encouraged by his coaches, wanted to play it back to the defending keeper. I explained that it didn't work like that. The defending player then said he would pass the ball back to the keeper in the expectation that the keeper would be able to pick the ball up.

The one that's still confusing for players, because of the rarity of it happening is offside in the player's own half.
I've never had that but it's one of those unique situations you hope will happen at some time just to 'enjoy' the response when you give it.

Yes had that the other day, Coach was incredulous that the player was flagged offside in her own half, she had a complete meltdown when I said " and that (where the player touched the ball) is where we're taking the free kick as well!" :p

EVERY non perfect throw is "Foul throw", part of one foot touching the pitch "foul throw"; "Its not from THERE lino" - when oppo, only the opponents of course, take a throw in less than a yard from the 'correct' spot - obviously their own team can take a throw where they like!

Advantage played, pass made or shot taken, "We'll have the free kick now ref"

I'm convinced most don't know that you can't be offside from a GK, defenders will move up to halfway and attackers will dutifully follow them!

I've never had that but it's one of those unique situations you hope will happen at some time just to 'enjoy' the response when you give it.
And this really wasn't a substantive change--that has been the law as far as the offense itself for forever. The only change was where the IFK takes place. It used to be that setting up the kick itself made clear where the OSP player was at the time the ball was played. Now, taking the kick in the other half just feels so strange.

As an aside, I had a game years ago where I failed to flag (I didn't think my R would see or understand the flag, but that's a different story . . . )an OS that now would create a scoring opportunity. G19 game OSP forward when GK punts. Lousy punt goes much more up than out, and first players near it completely misjudge and miss completely. That OSP attacker running back ends up being the first player to the ball 25-30 yards from goal line!

Yes had that the other day, Coach was incredulous that the player was flagged offside in her own half, she had a complete meltdown when I said " and that (where the player touched the ball) is where we're taking the free kick as well!" :p

I missed my Ar flag the only time its happened when I been in the middle, even with buzzer ( no comms)
It was central, and for some reaaon I thought the AR was buzzing me about a foul, even tho it was central and I was looking at it
It was only when he ( correctly) stood his ground and kept the flag up,the penny dropped
Even he said afterwards, it was his first and he even considered just letting it go,

I missed my Ar flag the only time its happened when I been in the middle, even with buzzer ( no comms)
It was central, and for some reaaon I thought the AR was buzzing me about a foul, even tho it was central and I was looking at it
It was only when he ( correctly) stood his ground and kept the flag up,the penny dropped
Even he said afterwards, it was his first and he even considered just letting it go,
I've seen it flagged in the Championship but the fk taken in own defensive half by the team given the fk.

I'm guessing the ref is thinking, "If they are happy, then so am I" - whether his observer thought the same thing I don't know!

Charging an opponent in whichever way you want is still thought of as being a legitimate challenge.
Especially if its "shoulder to shoulder" absolutely :p

The fact that the opponent's 'shoulder' seems to include his whole torso, front and back in some cases, doesn't seem to matter!:)

I've seen it flagged in the Championship but the fk taken in own defensive half by the team given the fk.

I'm guessing the ref is thinking, "If they are happy, then so am I" - whether his observer thought the same thing I don't know!
I honestly don't think that much of a big deal would be made out of it.
It's only a big deal at any level where it affects the game.

Pre match with many a level 3. First third, not really to fussed where the kick is taken, general area, 2nd third, a tiny bit more picky, 3rd third on the absolute spot.

Free kick placement just isn't a massive deal at the senior levels unless it's in a goal scoring area.

I honestly don't think that much of a big deal would be made out of it.
It's only a big deal at any level where it affects the game.

Pre match with many a level 3. First third, not really to fussed where the kick is taken, general area, 2nd third, a tiny bit more picky, 3rd third on the absolute spot.

Free kick placement just isn't a massive deal at the senior levels unless it's in a goal scoring area.
Yes that's true James, but I've found Championship refs DO get a bit picky around the halfway line. I guess they think it affects their control, if everyone has seen the foul has taken place in one half but the fk taken in another, even, if, as you say the actual distance between the two is immaterial - which I agree, at that level, it absolutely always is.

This happened in a premier league game right at the the start of the season and the commentators were incredulous.

I get players not knowing the laws but when it's literally your job I just don't understand it.

This happened in a premier league game right at the the start of the season and the commentators were incredulous.

I get players not knowing the laws but when it's literally your job I just don't understand it.
Said that many times, but it IS a professional players job as well!

Back