A&H

Law changes

Sorry but 'You can now be offside in your own half?' Or do you mean the player was originally offside in the attacking half but steps back into their own half to receive it after being originally in an offside position?

The Referee Store
Sorry but 'You can now be offside in your own half?' Or do you mean the player was originally offside in the attacking half but steps back into their own half to receive it after being originally in an offside position?
Confusion always tends to arise when people use the word 'offside' without the necessary clarification. The type of incident being referred to is when a player who was in an offside position (and therefore in the opposition half) when the ball was played or touched by a teammate then commits an offside offence within their own half

They adapted to goal kicks in own area instantly.

but yeah handball OMG how is anyone supposed to know when FIFA and UEFA do not agree and we get decisions like Rodri’s (hided).

As @Russell Jones alludes to, it's important to differentiate between offside position and offside offence to avoid confusion. When the change was introduced in 2016, in the FAQ section that accompanied the laws, the IFAB was careful to make that distinction clear, stating as follows:

Screenshot_2022_0306_140247.png

As @Russell Jones alludes to, it's important to differentiate between offside position and offside offence to avoid confusion. When the change was introduced in 2016, in the FAQ section that accompanied the laws, the IFAB was careful to make that distinction clear, stating as follows:

View attachment 5497
So the IDFK can be taken in the defending team's,the team given the IDFK,attacking half? I still found that wording a bit confusing.

So the IDFK can be taken in the defending team's,the team given the IDFK,attacking half? I still found that wording a bit confusing.
It's pretty straightforward.
Free kicks are taken where the offence occurs.
It is not an offence to be an offside positon.
The offence happens, when following being in an offside position when last played or touched by a team mate an offside player, plays the ball, interferes with play or an opponent, or gains an advantage.
If at the point one of those offences occurs in the opponents half the free kick is from there, where the offence happened.

Wouldn't it just be simpler if we took the free kick from the position of the player when a teammate last touched the ball (i.e. the offside position)? In fact, I'm pretty sure this is what most of us do anyway..

In 99.9% of times, it won't matter and no one pays attention to where the kick is taken so long as it is roughly close to correct position. It's about knowing where the correct position is according to law so in the 0.1% that matters, you take it from the correct position.

Wouldn't it just be simpler if we took the free kick from the position of the player when a teammate last touched the ball (i.e. the offside position)? In fact, I'm pretty sure this is what most of us do anyway..
The simplest thing would be to just keep it as it was instead of trying to fix something that wasnt broken to start with.

The simplest thing would be to just keep it as it was instead of trying to fix something that wasnt broken to start with.
It was broken though. The offence occurs when you touch the ball, being stood in an offside position when the ball is played isn't an offence. So for years the free kick has been taken from the wrong position, this law change fixed that.

It was broken though. The offence occurs when you touch the ball, being stood in an offside position when the ball is played isn't an offence. So for years the free kick has been taken from the wrong position, this law change fixed that.
Retreating into your own half should make it reset again,imo. Receiving the ball in your own half is not benefitting from being in an offside position as being in your own half should negate it. If its not an offence to stand in an offside position then no harm is done if you retreat there to receive it.

Just don't bother with it, unless being observed
I can't see the point in losing all respect (and that is what happens) for the sake of being a 'clever dick' over a few yards of territory so far from goal
Besides, since when is offside restarted from the correct place anyway?

Just don't bother with it, unless being observed
I can't see the point in losing all respect (and that is what happens) for the sake of being clever over about a few yards of territory so far from goal
Besides, since when is offside restarted from the correct place anyway?
Common sense doesn't seem to be at a premium these days. Big salaries have to be justified somehow.

Common sense doesn't seem to be at a premium these days. Big salaries have to be justified somehow.
'The Art of Refereeing', some book I recall skim reading. A central premise being not to meddle with trifling infarctions. Exact restart location a long way from goal being one such consideration
Typically, by getting fussy about these things, respect has gone out the winda by the time you need it for a KMD later in the game
Each to their own, but I manage my games my way and I ain't having the 'last week's ref' argument over such triviality

Retreating into your own half should make it reset again,imo. Receiving the ball in your own half is not benefitting from being in an offside position as being in your own half should negate it. If its not an offence to stand in an offside position then no harm is done if you retreat there to receive it.
Of course you have benefitted from it, you are standing offside when the pass was made.

It IS benefitting - a player running from 20 yards behind a defender to play the ball is gaining an advantage, which is why defenders mark attackers closely and don't allow then to do that. If they are in offside position when pass made then its obviously illegal.

IFAB's LOTG meeting has been postponed, so you have time to pass on your views . . . 😴

It IS benefitting - a player running from 20 yards behind a defender to play the ball is gaining an advantage, which is why defenders mark attackers closely and don't allow then to do that. If they are in offside position when pass made then its obviously illegal.
Yes,but that is not what I said. I think I am confused here by this interpretation of the law. If a player is beyond the second last defender but doesnt receive or touch the ball then he is not offside yet,correct? But if he retreats into his own half to receive it where he isnt offside then he is offside? I am thoroughly confused if this is the case.

Yes,but that is not what I said. I think I am confused here by this interpretation of the law. If a player is beyond the second last defender but doesnt receive or touch the ball then he is not offside yet,correct? But if he retreats into his own half to receive it where he isnt offside then he is offside? I am thoroughly confused if this is the case.
With respect, I think you need to have a good read of the offside law as it really isn't that complicated. Offside is judged only at the point the ball is played, not when it is received.

Back