A&H

Let's talk social... from Neale Barry

The Referee Store
Worse than being called a UKIPPER?

I'm reporting you for racism and..... well, all manner of things Nazi..... shocking Sir! Truly shocking! .... ;) :D

(Sorry! Couldn't resist - I just know they're watching....... :p )

I'm reporting you for racism and..... well, all manner of things Nazi..... shocking Sir! Truly shocking! .... ;) :D

(Sorry! Couldn't resist - I just know they're watching....... :p )

It's truly saddening that you view your posting of a racist insult to be such a laughing matter......

Apparently, not only are you a racist, you're happy about it?

:rolleyes:

It's truly saddening that you view your posting of a racist insult to be such a laughing matter......

Apparently, not only are you a racist, you're happy about it?

:rolleyes:

There appears to be no "this bloke's a hand-wringing pratt" option on this forum so it looks like it'll have to be the "ignore" one instead..... hey ho...... :cool:

I have a few friends who are teachers or Police officers and they all either use a nickname on social media, or spell their names backwards so it's hard for people to identify them directly.

Teachers here are advised to have no social media presence whatsoever and I and many others actually don't have Facebook etc. To be honest not even sure I should be doing this here really - ridiculous as it sounds posting anything makes me twitchy.

To be honest not even sure I should be doing this here really - ridiculous as it sounds posting anything makes me twitchy.

That's what's wrong with society today. The apologists, lawyers and hand-wringing "offended" have ruined it for everybody. Everyone now operates under a climate of suspicion and fear of accusation. Thought police are waiting on the edge of every post to nail you if your mind ain't "right". ;) :(

A London referee was suspended for 5 years due to comments made on Facebook, although this was subsequently reduced to 6 months on appeal to the FA. And I know of one referee who received a lengthy suspension due to comments on a forum even though he was posting anonymously, this being because the evidence stacked up so much against him he had no defence.

It also doesn't stop there. A few years ago a few Sheffield Wednesday fans posted alleged derogatory comments about the then chairman Dave Allen. He went to court to force the forum moderators to have over actual contact details of those who has posted under pseudonyms, and whilst the judge rejected most of the 11 claims, he ordered the court to hand over details of 3 supporters and legal action was then taken. I believe this was then settled out of court.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1002015/sheffield-wednesday-fans-sued
I knew of the SWFC case and that forum anonymity is no guarantee of escape.

As for a webmaster being served with a request for user info, if the correct procedure is followed, then he has to disclose it, the cited Data Protection Act compels him to do so, if the correct procedure is followed.

And for those who think it's all a joke, I posted the OP in good faith to try to help and the same goes for subsequent info. Padfoot, jofusref and RustyRef have offered their personal experiences. Don't blame us if it happens to you.

Thank god I used the name Mickey Mouse when I signed up eh :D

In all seriousness, as I said prior, not just in refereeing circles but in professional ones too, in this day and age it is imperative that you vet what you post on the inter web as do gooders and those without stable employment will always look to land you in it. Of course some comments deserve reporting but these are rare

As for the racism/ukip debate again... :rolleyes:

Just wanted to give a first hand example of this in action. When I was assaulted earlier this season, I posted on Facebook how upset I was that it had happen; I was very careful not to mention the player, club, venue and as far as I was concerned, there was no way to identify the game. However, in the personal hearing, the representative of the player produced a screenshot of the post (my account is private and cannot be viewed by non-friends, so somebody let me down there). The committee agreed that it wasn't relevant, but it just goes to show that you can't say anything these days.

I imagine this will be even more relevant when I go into legal practice, which is why I never post anything controversial on Facebook, nor do I retweet or say anything on Twitter that could be deemed inappropriate at any point in the future.

Good thread by Brian. In Australia there used to be a reasonably well used referees forum. Naturally it discussed games from our national competition with some posts critical of the referees. Some posts were constructive criticism, some were just bagging them out by referees forgetting to take off their supporters hat (guilty).
The head honchos at Football Federation Australia noticed this forum. They knew who was posting under what psuedonym (so, a few of us got our names known at the top levels for all the wrong reason). From what I've been advised by some others, they made it clear to some of their national level assessors and development panel officials that if you ever want to have a career, don't post on that forum. Ever. In any description. Underhanded gestapo-like attacks shut down the only Australian refereeing forum, which was quite sad to see.

So yes, bad things can certainly happen. And of course, posting under a psuedonym or not, bagging out a referee is still breaking your own code of conduct.

On the topic of people bagging out their employer - IMO, if your facebook profile states who your employer is then every single thing you post can well be accountable to that employer, in the sense that you're saying things while representing that employer. No different to saying them on the street wearing their uniform. If you name your employer then don't post anything you wouldn't say in front of your post.

I like to get political and join football trolling pages , so I don't name my employer.

Just wanted to give a first hand example of this in action. When I was assaulted earlier this season, I posted on Facebook how upset I was that it had happen; I was very careful not to mention the player, club, venue and as far as I was concerned, there was no way to identify the game. However, in the personal hearing, the representative of the player produced a screenshot of the post (my account is private and cannot be viewed by non-friends, so somebody let me down there). The committee agreed that it wasn't relevant, but it just goes to show that you can't say anything these days.

I imagine this will be even more relevant when I go into legal practice, which is why I never post anything controversial on Facebook, nor do I retweet or say anything on Twitter that could be deemed inappropriate at any point in the future.
there are always colleagues only too happy to stab u in the back given any oppertunity

Back