A&H

Man City v Spurs

The Referee Store
No excuses for Haaland to lay hands on the referee though.

Verbals, context some may forgive, but you cannot allow physical contact.
Yes exactly - Virgil VD got a red card for an offence and then got extra time for saying 'you're ****ing joking'. No screaming in his face and no touching the referee. The FA are showing double standards here and its going to cause outrage if nothing is done about it.

As much as I want this thread to be over… what about some learnings for us mere mortals at grassroots:

- the referee stands still and is surrounded by complaining players. Don’t do this. Back away (e.g. towards a corner). This means you get more players in view, less chance of someone behind your back, and more obvious if someone comes at you to complain.

- a GK coming 50 yards to complain must be cautioned. Every observer expects this. Just spot it and give it. If you have to find the GK after a melee, use body language/signals so everyone knows what it’s for.

- a player screaming in your face and/or touching you must be at least YC. You decide if RC.

- use your whistle to shut players up. Practice multi beeps. Blow loud. SHUT. THEM. UP. If they are not holding their ears you’re not blowing hard enough!

- if you use your whistle and you still have a player obviously aggressively approaching you then YC

- pre-match, beginner NARs need reminding about mass cons - to look for player numbers …and AR1 stops benches getting involved. AR2 stands back, makes the triangle and does not get trapped!

- before you start giving out all the cards, don’t panic. Make sure players are calm. Talk to your key AR first-both if necessary, and in person rather than comms if it sells better. Take the time to rethink the original offence. Talk through the cards together. Then give the cards.

(Strictly speaking not a mass con in this scenario but at grassroots be prepared!)

No excuses for Haaland to lay hands on the referee though.

Verbals, context some may forgive, but you cannot allow physical contact.
Having watched it back he steps towards Haaland so just as well he put his hands on him or he would of ended up headbutting him at the time I agreed with you watching back I’ve seen this.

Yes exactly - Virgil VD got a red card for an offence and then got extra time for saying 'you're ****ing joking'. No screaming in his face and no touching the referee. The FA are showing double standards here and its going to cause outrage if nothing is done about it.
VVD committed a foul and the ref got that initial decision right. I'm not outraged.

VVD committed a foul and the ref got that initial decision right. I'm not outraged.
So it's ok for a player to hit a referee's hands in anger/frustration?

I do find it weird that the forum isn't publicly annoyed by this, but were for Mitrovic.. strange that

Reactions: one
I think VVD's was alot worse than it's been summarised as there including refusal to leave the field for a period of time if I remember correctly ??? (Genuinely not sure, but that's what memory tells me)

It's not okay to commit OFFINABUS offences if it's in response to a blatantly incorrect decision, but it certainly makes it more understandable. Obviously there is still a line, but we don't know what was said by the City players.

Oh yes, we all know OFFINABUS is fine if it's in response to an incorrect decision. :wall:
The post spoke about double standards. City have been charged with failing to control their players.

If a player was fouled, but got up quickly and delivered a stunning pass to an onside player 3 yards clear of the defenders, then realised the referee had given the strangest decision of the season, then shouted at the referee and touched the referee's arm and got a YC for dissent, but then a retrospective 3-match ban.... all because the ref got it badly wrong... then I might be outraged.

And ridiculous to compare it with Mitrovic's behaviour.

The way he was shouting at the ref and the contact may be minimal. But if the FA are serious about stamping out abuse of officials at grassroots level then they should have come down hard on him and he should have got a prolonged ban that would have given him Christmas off. This is due to his stature and how he's a role model to millions around the world and it would show the grassroot players that this behaviour is unacceptable.

The post spoke about double standards. City have been charged with failing to control their players.

If a player was fouled, but got up quickly and delivered a stunning pass to an onside player 3 yards clear of the defenders, then realised the referee had given the strangest decision of the season, then shouted at the referee and touched the referee's arm and got a YC for dissent, but then a retrospective 3-match ban.... all because the ref got it badly wrong... then I might be outraged.

The only ridiculous thing is a referee trying to justify abuse due to incorrect decisions. You should know better than that.

He's made a human error, just as Haaland did when missing a near open goal. Hooper will have been cursing himself on his long drive home, but I've certainly been too quick on the whistle when I could and should have played advantage, and I think most referees will have been. I did it in a big local derby in an Isthmian League game with over 1000 spectators and I was still thinking about it days later. I didn't do it deliberately, I just misread the situation and made a stupid decision.

He had an excellent game, evidenced by the fact that Mike Dean sat unemployed until second half stoppage time, but every human being will make mistakes.
Excellent & honest comment.

Those type of errors often happen at the end of games, aswell. When your body is tired, your concentrating lapses aswell. Get fit to referee, not referee to get fit !

I've long since deduced that referees stop improving after a certain number of years. Arguably by the time a referee gets to National League or National League South, that's it. Beyond such a certain level, it occurs to me that we're all much if a muchness and promotion is largely a function of luck (and likely, positive discrimination going forward). The reason I believe this, is because elite referees make the same mistakes as their colleagues lower down on about the same frequency

This mistake was an 'absolute howler' IMO, not just a howler. If I do that this weekend, the consequences will be unthinkable

It's normal that verbal misconduct is allowed to pass in such circumstances. Too busy wanting a hole in the ground to open up rather than double down with cards and sin bins
I am afraid if you truly believe what you have said, then you are way off the mark. Not only do Referees develop once they are under the leadership of the PGMOL & especially if they are fortunate enough to get to the PL, but this is physically, technically & mentally. With regard to the latter, with the PL being shown all over the world, the amount of attention the official receives is probably no one on this website can comprehend. It is in a completely different stratosphere

I think this is where VAR should come into play. There should be retrospective punishments for this type of behaviour if the referee is hounded like this and doesn't get the opportunity to act
This incident any type of similar incidents are always looked at retrospectively. It is also the case that anytime a Referee is surrounded by 4 or more players from the same team at this level of level of football, then the Referee is obliged to report it. City have since been charged.

Yes exactly - Virgil VD got a red card for an offence and then got extra time for saying 'you're ****ing joking'. No screaming in his face and no touching the referee. The FA are showing double standards here and it’s going to cause outrage if nothing is done about it.
Let the FA deal with it, which the FA are doing. To also bear in mind, that the Virgil VD incident is not an exact like for like situation.

I am afraid if you truly believe what you have said, then you are way off the mark. Not only do Referees develop once they are under the leadership of the PGMOL & especially if they are fortunate enough to get to the PL, but this is physically, technically & mentally. With regard to the latter, with the PL being shown all over the world, the amount of attention the official receives is probably no one on this website can comprehend. It is in a completely different stratosphere
Hi and 🤗 welcome, comes across as a bit condescending if you are saying no one else on here can understand something but you can. Please bear in mind that there is a lot of disagreement on this forum about some incidents, some laws, and the application of some laws. But what you will find is that many threads are more about how the laws and the various bodies (and media!) could support TV referees better and prevent abuse in all its forms (and its “trickle” down to grassroots).

Hi and 🤗 welcome, comes across as a bit condescending if you are saying no one else on here can understand something but you can. Please bear in mind that there is a lot of disagreement on this forum about some incidents, some laws, and the application of some laws. But what you will find is that many threads are more about how the laws and the various bodies (and media!) could support TV referees better and prevent abuse in all its forms (and its “trickle” down to grassroots).
I apologise that you feel that my reply is condescending, that was not my intention, it was meant to come across as a constructive disagreement with the initial post. I am certainly not saying that no one else on here but me can understand something. Everyone is entitled to their opinion & I have shared mine.

Those type of errors often happen at the end of games, aswell. When your body is tired, your concentrating lapses aswell. Get fit to referee, not referee to get fit !
Pretty certain Hooper in the former there, but as a general point, it's a fair point.

Why therefore, do PGMOL Referees make similar mistakes to their amateur colleagues, arguably (a strong argument) with the same sort of frequency? My beliefs are in no way disparaging towards these Professional Referees. If you've interpreted that then you've misinterpreted me. I'm aware that they are not just elite referees, but elite individuals in many respects (I've met enough of them in person)

One stark contrast between Elite Refs and amateur counterparts , is their proven ability and immense courage to officiate under the unimaginable cauldron of a massive arena and the World's gaze and scrutiny. But they don't have a monopoly on physical and mental capabilities that others can match

The overall refereeing of the game has never been in such a bad state. A very in-depth discussion would be needed to get at why that's the case
I don't think it's possible for any individual (SG1/SG2/L1/L2a/L2b etc) to meet the 'expected standard', because the 'expected standard' is impossible. But the evidence is there for us all to see, PGMOL R's make mistakes all of the time, the likes of which are no different from those seen down the leagues

Last edited:
Back