A&H

Man Utd Vs Liverpool

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
Early leniency from Michael Oliver? TAA probably lucky to escape without a caution for a lazy trip on the edge of his own area on Rashford.

The Referee Store
There were a number of early SPAs given this weekend. I was pleasantly surprised. Then naturally when the big derby with the global audience happens, we go back to keep the cards away early!

TAA should have h had a yellow, and whoever slid into Diaz from behind in front of the benches as well.
TAA then gets a very soft yellow as a reward.
I thought in real time that Rashford might have been offside for the goal but I had a good replay and VVD's big shoulders are playing him on.

What I learn from these opening premier league games is that players at grassroots are going to need reminding that the game on TV now as very different laws. The use of cards is now totally different.

Another day, another referee and Fernandes could have easily got a 2nd yellow for his post-goal theatrics.

Another day, another referee and Fernandes could have easily got a 2nd yellow for his post-goal theatrics.
What struck me was how slow he was to get there to even attempt to manage it, was always going to be a flash point. That said once he got there he didn't exactly take control of the situation so possibly wouldn't have made a difference

That is one of the most ridiculous situations in football. Wrestling the ball out of the net doesn't speed things up as the other team won't restart until they are ready and the referee tells them to kick off. It actually slows the restart down more often than not as the referee has to get involved in a load of handbags.

That is one of the most ridiculous situations in football. Wrestling the ball out of the net doesn't speed things up as the other team won't restart until they are ready and the referee tells them to kick off. It actually slows the restart down more often than not as the referee has to get involved in a load of handbags.

Especially when every goal is checked by var. Even the clearest goals don't kick off less than 45 seconds after they go in.

Don’t agree here. It was United’s restart and as much as I dislike Fernandes, he was moving towards the restart Point. Salah was actually stopping him. I agree with @bester, the referee was far too slow to intervene.

View attachment 5850

What is this line drawn against?
It's as if they've placed the line exactly where they want it to make it onside...
They are using technology that is designed to adjust to the 3D nature of real life, and drop the line down from the part of the body able to play the ball that is closest to the goal line. Keep, in mind that now includes the part of the arm that would be even with the bottom of the armpit. All that said, this sometimes does seem an exercise in false precision.

They are using technology that is designed to adjust to the 3D nature of real life, and drop the line down from the part of the body able to play the ball that is closest to the goal line. Keep, in mind that now includes the part of the arm that would be even with the bottom of the armpit. All that said, this sometimes does seem an exercise in false precision.
Yes, I've actually studied the process in detail because I was interested in the geometry for another reason
It does produce occasional illusions of players rightly/wrongly onside/offside. Whilst the drawing of the lines manually is crude, it is the correct method but it does take a short while to do which explains the delay in the VAR process. This is the bit which technology will take over from such that we won't need to see the unconvincing method of drawing lines any longer

View attachment 5850

What is this line drawn against?
It's as if they've placed the line exactly where they want it to make it onside...
Firstly, the part of the body which is closest to the goal line is identified for each of the two players. A contentious process involving armpits & sleeves!
The vertical lines between that part of the body and the ground are then added. Note, the lines are not normally vertical (but that level of complexity is the preserve of geeks). Finally, the lines on the ground parallel to the goal line are added to see which player's relative position on the ground is closest to the goal line

The drawing of the vertical lines is particularly crude. Arguably, it's absurd because it completely lacks the precision the rest of the process is based upon. Hence the process which is apparently very precise, lacks a degree of accuracy

Especially when comparing the horizontal location of two vertically contrasting body parts (head of one player, foot of another), an illusion is created which makes the outcome look dodgy. This is indeed an illusion

Once they employ the technology proposed at the World Cup, all this will go away. No stupid drawing of lines etc. The AI can and will determine the location of many many skeletal positions in 3-dimensional space. And I've read white-papers which claim the process is very precise and accurate (two cm or less) and instantaneous. For now, a human will still be required to determine an offside offence, but it's only a matter of time (from what I've read) before the AI will threaten the need for a Match Official

That's the thing with VAR, ultimately, it's to the demise of on-field Match Officials. Bizarrely however, it's mostly the Refereeing Community (and of course the 'money men') who are driving the process towards that outcome. What's great for prolonging careers right now, will ultimately negate the need for them in the future

The top two thirds of this post is fact. The last bit is obviously my projection of where I'm confident we're headed

Last edited:
The VAR showed Rashford to be in an offside position but he was less than 5 cm offside so the benefit of the doubt is given to the attacker.

so if the AR had flagged for offside, would he have been charged with an incorrect KMD ?
... or what if VAR reckoned 5.01 cm offside and he kept his flag down ?

either way, we are in the realms of physically impossible to see, so AR either gets lucky or unlucky with their guess.

Or is there some tolerance built in before it hits the threshold of an incorrect KMD ?

so if the AR had flagged for offside, would he have been charged with an incorrect KMD ?
... or what if VAR reckoned 5.01 cm offside and he kept his flag down ?

either way, we are in the realms of physically impossible to see, so AR either gets lucky or unlucky with their guess.

Or is there some tolerance built in before it hits the threshold of an incorrect KMD ?
I believe it is to do with the thicker lines for the defenders, that means someone who is technically a few cm off will be deemed to be onside. Don't know for sure, but I think ARs will be protected in situations like this and not face incorrect KMIs.

Back