A&H

Manager calls after game

TheFoodieReferee

Level 5 Referee
Had a funny one tonight, done a 2:15pm ko, home side got beat 4-2. Alls well, handshakes all round.

Text the home manager to chase up a bank transfer payment who then decides to call me to say secretary will sort tomorrow, fine with me but….

He then goes ‘I reserved my right to speak to you after the game and I’m reserving it now’ and proceeds to start going on about every single decision in the game. He claimed that I didn’t acknowledge his CAR with offside despite them putting the flag up and then straight down so you’ve got no chance of seeing it. The away side constantly flagged, I knew myself some were incorrect so let play go on but he just carried on saying I made so many and decisions.

For me, I think it was more just saltiness that he got beat by the better side on the day.

Anyone got any ideas on how to handle this in the future? Obviously thinking I should’ve just said, no worries mate, I’m not having this conversation now, see you later.

The Referee Store
That should do it.

He reserves no right at all, it's football not the consumer rights act!
Looking back I should’ve just done that.
If he wanted to say anything, do it to my face after the game. Lucky I’m way too laid back and reasonable to have lost my rag and said something I shouldn’t have!

Obviously awful from the manager.

Is there something you could do different with the CAR offsides. It must have looked really messy if you have CARs flagging randomly. How were you ”selling” your decisions? Were you ignoring them, waving them down, did you tell the CAR’s to stop flagging OS and only ball in/out?

Depends what you are doing. Sometimes I like to hear managers out and hear their side of the game. Talk it through etc etc. Now most of the time this doesn't work as they are just salty/deflecting their defeat on to you. Also if I'm busy doing anything else, they can do one. But if I have time, might be worth the conversation.

But I do like it when it is constructive. Had one with a player today after a game, he was annoyed over a really non-decision in the midfield. Talked it through, we both agreed to disagree. But he was actually cool about it.

Had a funny one tonight, done a 2:15pm ko, home side got beat 4-2. Alls well, handshakes all round.

Text the home manager to chase up a bank transfer payment who then decides to call me to say secretary will sort tomorrow, fine with me but….

He then goes ‘I reserved my right to speak to you after the game and I’m reserving it now’ and proceeds to start going on about every single decision in the game. He claimed that I didn’t acknowledge his CAR with offside despite them putting the flag up and then straight down so you’ve got no chance of seeing it. The away side constantly flagged, I knew myself some were incorrect so let play go on but he just carried on saying I made so many and decisions.

For me, I think it was more just saltiness that he got beat by the better side on the day.

Anyone got any ideas on how to handle this in the future? Obviously thinking I should’ve just said, no worries mate, I’m not having this conversation now, see you later.
Thanks for your help today, I appreciate it. All the best for the rest of the season.

That should do it.

He reserves no right at all, it's football not the consumer rights act!
Actually there are leagues who give managers this right one up here allows 3 hours although never had anyone phone me though I would check leauge rules if he’s within a ruled time frame I would mention to leauge sec.

As soon as you realised he was ringing just to moan at you, you should have politely told him that you weren't going to listen and hung up. Once you've done your admin, done your own personal reflections, and reported any other matters to the competition, your job is done and you should be enjoying your weekend - as should he!

You call the appropriate people who can discipline the manager, give them the facts, and let them deal with it.

I’d also ask how the manager got your personal phone number and decided it was a good idea to harass you after the game was over. I'd never call a coach after a game to say "Hey, your sub in the 65th minute sucked. Why didn't you add a midfielder since you guys were being completely overrun in the center of the park?"

You call the appropriate people who can discipline the manager, give them the facts, and let them deal with it.

I’d also ask how the manager got your personal phone number and decided it was a good idea to harass you after the game was over. I'd never call a coach after a game to say "Hey, your sub in the 65th minute sucked. Why didn't you add a midfielder since you guys were being completely overrun in the center of the park?"
The CFA give managers your number mine do it all the time do that and it will look like your questioning them so I wouldn’t.

Actually there are leagues who give managers this right one up here allows 3 hours although never had anyone phone me though I would check leauge rules if he’s within a ruled time frame I would mention to leauge sec.
The league might have a policy but no way is that in the SCOR and getting signed off.

I just don't see a world where this would be healthy for the game.

And to be honest, I just wouldnt go anywhere near a league that allowed this. I'm not keeping my phone open for someone to ring and question me about a game up to 3 hours later. Aside from any other post match obligation (reporting, attending CFA lead hearing as examples) once I leave that game, I'm finished for the day.

The CFA give managers your number mine do it all the time do that and it will look like your questioning them so I wouldn’t.
That’s fair, but I would imagine the phone number is not an open invitation to bash a referee following a game. If a high school or college coach did this to me, I would immediately call my assignor. The assignor would then likely call the school’s athletic director (the coach’s hiring manager). For clubs, I would assume that call would go to the club director.

That’s fair, but I would imagine the phone number is not an open invitation to bash a referee following a game. If a high school or college coach did this to me, I would immediately call my assignor. The assignor would then likely call the school’s athletic director (the coach’s hiring manager). For clubs, I would assume that call would go to the club director.
If he’s within a allotted time in Leauge rules they would most likely back him.

I reserve the right to hang up on any manager who rings me up after a game.

On a different note, any system that allows team members (managers, players etc) to have access to contact details of the match officials needs think through the consequences.

All our digital match cards (team sheets) have the phone numbers of the coaches and referees. This is great in case a team does not show or on the rare occasion something needs to be asked/told BEFORE the match.

(The digital match card also has e.g. location, GPS link, links to team/player histories and previous cards/bans, links to league tables… competition rules, LotG… etc etc. genius really.)

I reserve the right to hang up on any manager who rings me up after a game.

On a different note, any system that allows team members (managers, players etc) to have access to contact details of the match officials needs think through the consequences.
Someone at the home team needs to have their contact details, otherwise how are they going to let them know if the game is postponed for any reason? Especially at short notice where clubs are always told to phone rather than email as you can't assume referees are checking emails 24x7.

Someone at the home team needs to have their contact details, otherwise how are they going to let them know if the game is postponed for any reason? Especially at short notice where clubs are always told to phone rather than email as you can't assume referees are checking emails 24x7.
Club calls appointment officer (with a back up person in place as well). Appointments officer calls referee.

If you have an online system, game status in system is updated by league secretary who is informed by club asap. Referees are to check system before leaving home.

Both systems have been working for leagues I have been in.

Club calls appointment officer (with a back up person in place as well). Appointments officer calls referee.

If you have an online system, game status in system is updated by league secretary who is informed by club asap. Referees are to check system before leaving home.

Both systems have been working for leagues I have been in.
That's daft, putting a middle person in the way just increases the risk the message doesn't get to the officials.

And what happens if the game is called off when the referee is already in his car on the way to the game, something that happened to me a few times over the years? Can't check the system, whatever that might be, if you are driving, but you can answer the phone on hands free.

Home clubs have had my phone number for every one of the hundreds, if not thousands, of games I've refereed over the years. I can't recall a single occasion where they have phoned me after the game to have a moan, I can certainly remember many where they have called me before the game to tell me it is off.

That's daft, putting a middle person in the way just increases the risk the message doesn't get to the officials.

And what happens if the game is called off when the referee is already in his car on the way to the game, something that happened to me a few times over the years? Can't check the system, whatever that might be, if you are driving, but you can answer the phone on hands free.

Home clubs have had my phone number for every one of the hundreds, if not thousands, of games I've refereed over the years. I can't recall a single occasion where they have phoned me after the game to have a moan, I can certainly remember many where they have called me before the game to tell me it is off.
These systems have been working here for decades. There is a problem needing a solution. If what work for us doesn't work where you are, surely another solution exists that is better than puting the fox in charge of the henhouse ☺️

If a notice is that late and the referee ends up at the ground, they get paid for their services (anywhere between 50% to 100% rate). Again a working system here.

In regards to your last paragraph, you being or having been in a position of authority, as an observer and I assume also an organiser (and a perfect referee ☺️) are far less likey to get those sort of calls compared to a first year or second year referee who has had a bad day in office refereeing at lower grassroots divisions.

Really not trying to quash your system. I just think there is enough abuse happening on the field for newer referees and opening them up to it happening after the game is not the best idea. I assume if it does happen a lot of it goes unreported.

Last edited:
Back