A&H

Mid season promotion

I did say 'around', and it was a question as 4 out of 8 in a national promotion list is a statistical oddity. Perhaps they've got exceptional training in the area or surrounding clubs are extremely generous markers.

The Referee Store
I did say 'around', and it was a question as 4 out of 8 in a national promotion list is a statistical oddity. Perhaps they've got exceptional training in the area or surrounding clubs are extremely generous markers.
At that level there are various considerations before the list is finalised, e. g. geography, observer marks (which are scrutinised regularly to see any potential anomalies), availability, administration, etc.
Making statements about generous Contrib observers is disingenuous and not helpful.

Demand for the level does influence promotion decisions.
Last year a high number of L4s from Sheffield & Hallamshire were promoted because there was a demand in that area. This year just one. Not because the rest are not good enough, but because there’s no demand.
The demand is Staffs and Derby is clearly higher.

Last year a high number of L4s from Sheffield & Hallamshire were promoted because there was a demand in that area. This year just one. Not because the rest are not good enough, but because there’s no demand.

Me and another ref I'm good mates with were close to meeting the requisite criteria for mid season, I was 3 games and 1 observation away ( but this is going back to early - mid December before the start of all this weather we've had) and I think he was 3 lines away, considering both our availability, had we got those last few in we'd have met the criteria.

Both based Derby way. Feeling a bit gutted now seeing that.

Didn't think this was the case for promotion to 2B?

Me and another ref I'm good mates with were close to meeting the requisite criteria for mid season, I was 3 games and 1 observation away ( but this is going back to early - mid December before the start of all this weather we've had) and I think he was 3 lines away, considering both our availability, had we got those last few in we'd have met the criteria.

Both based Derby way. Feeling a bit gutted now seeing that.
Just have to accept that close to meeting the requisite criteria is no the same as meeting the requisite criteria
I wasn't far away at my level, but 58th percentile on club marks ruled me out. I wouldn't have promoted me on that basis alone (unlike most of us, i value club marks as much as assessments (near enough)) and I was a decimal place away on assessments anyway (I didn't meet the required number of games but neither did a promoted colleague of mine). Ultimately, tick all the boxes otherwise like me, expect the expected and don't be perturbed about it. The summer is only a few months away; a few months could work in your favour in the long run
If you're good enough (which I'm sure you are), promotion will take care of itself and there's no rush. A minor setback IMO

Last edited:
I've received my Level 4 confirmation as well, quite thrilled! Congrats to all the 5-4s and 4-3s who made it!

Anyone happy to split a room at St.Georges on Saturday the 4th? No single rooms available (only double or more) and I've got quite the distance to travel! 😄

I've received my Level 4 confirmation as well, quite thrilled! Congrats to all the 5-4s and 4-3s who made it!

Anyone happy to split a room at St.Georges on Saturday the 4th? No single rooms available (only double or more) and I've got quite the distance to travel! 😄
The 3 Stooges from Manchester are staying at the Premier Inn 5 miles away on the Saturday night. We are travelling together after our games on the Saturday.

Back