A&H

New card wallet set recommendations

The Referee Store
Sadly, it's a weekly occurrence in CFA Disciplinary Offices and extra work for the RDO's, chasing numbers of referees who submit incorrect reports.
Simple to get right, lazy if wrong.
Can only imagine!

Had a fun one a fortnight ago. Two yellows: Player from away side gives the name of a player from the home team who is injured and not in the match day squad. Few minutes later (the second caution) and a home player gives his name as the away player who’d got that previous yellow.

Crikey, we’re massively O/T 😀 @MumRef - A&H were always the best. BD (B&D?) the Aldi version

Can only imagine!

Had a fun one a fortnight ago. Two yellows: Player from away side gives the name of a player from the home team who is injured and not in the match day squad. Few minutes later (the second caution) and a home player gives his name as the away player who’d got that previous yellow.

Crikey, we’re massively O/T 😀 @MumRef - A&H were always the best. BD (B&D?) the Aldi version
Good thing you completely ignored the names given and went by the shirt number, otherwise you might have shown red after the second yellow!

Good thing you completely ignored the names given and went by the shirt number, otherwise you might have shown red after the second yellow!
Was an interesting exchange of emails with CFA for sure 😂 No idea what either of them was playing at.

Sure, that sounds like a real stat...
It is absolutely correct, they waste a massive amount of time due to referees reporting the wrong player name. Think it through, if only 1 in 100 team sheets are wrong (and it is way more than that in my experience) that is hundreds if not thousands of incorrect names submitted.

I'm just going to ask the same question I ask every time this discussion comes up and that I never get a decent answer to: how come this seems to be a problem only in England?

I certainly recall people on here from Scotland, Australia and the US say that relying on team sheets/team lines and therefore going through the quicker and easier process of writing a shirt number then showing a card rather than having to engage with the player is perfectly normal.

And in real life, I've had an Italian AR give me feedback that he thought my card-giving was slow and wound players up, and a Croatian ref I AR'd for who definitely didn't bother with the slower process. But yeah, happy to hear more input!

I certainly recall people on here from Scotland, Australia and the US say that relying on team sheets/team lines and therefore going through the quicker and easier process of writing a shirt number then showing a card rather than having to engage with the player is perfectly normal.
Perhaps they have a culture of accurate and consistent team sheets? Most leagues have rules about providing them that they don't bother to enforce

And in real life, I've had an Italian AR give me feedback that he thought my card-giving was slow and wound players up, and a Croatian ref I AR'd for who definitely didn't bother with the slower process. But yeah, happy to hear more input!
Think it might be the different culture of football in England. I've managed teams, and at the time I was supposed to be submitting the team sheet I was inevitably chasing late players, putting up the nets and corner flags (because the players couldn't be bothered), often chasing the referee who more often wasn't even there at the supposed team sheet exchange, and so on. Which means I was rushing, and that leads to mistakes.

In my experience the team sheet numbers are much more reliable on Saturdays than Sundays, which perhaps adds weight to the "drunkenness" element.

In Scotland team lines are used in every competitive match from the lowest youth/grassroots level all the way up to the SPFL. Although leagues require different information at a minimum the referee must write the final score and subs used on the form. Other leagues can require both half time and full time scores, goal scorers and times, and subs on, player off and time. The teamlines are then submitted via post/electronically to the appropriate league secretary.

It is the responsibility of the team to ensure that all their details, shirt number, player name and reg number are completed accurately.

As a result, most referees in Scotland will now just take a number rather than a name, and this means the caution procedure can be completed quickly.

Mistakes can and do arise with teamlines but the emphasis is on the clubs to ensure they are correct rather than the match referee having to double check the clubs have completed them properly. Last season I was involved in a match where home number 3 was sent off, terrible tackle, quick card, no name asking to get him out of there.

I reported Mr X who was listed as number 3 on the teamline. The club appealed the sending off on the grounds that they had made an error on the teamline and it was actually Mr Y who was sent off (he had been listed as 15).

At the disciplinary hearing the committee transferred the ban from Mr X to Mr Y and also fined the club £50 for improperly completing their teamlines that caused this situation.

Back