A&H

New v Ful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and managers are contractually obligated to answer and it’s a bad example to kids if they lie.
Cheating is a bad example to kids, yet players constantly roll around on the floor as though they have been shot. Or shout for their ball, despite it clearly not being theirs.

Managers will have scuffles on the sideline with the opposition. They will also run up and screen in 4th officials face if a decision doesn't go their way. This doesn't seem like a good example to children?

When exactly can managers not be honest?

The Referee Store
Cheating is a bad example to kids, yet players constantly roll around on the floor as though they have been shot. Or shout for their ball, despite it clearly not being theirs.

Managers will have scuffles on the sideline with the opposition. They will also run up and screen in 4th officials face if a decision doesn't go their way. This doesn't seem like a good example to children?

When exactly can managers not be honest?
In post match interviews they get asked a question

The FA did.
because he refused interviews, not for saying no comment. Mourinho refuses to answer questions all the time and LVG walked out of several press conferences at Man U.

Managers can answer these questions without lying and without criticising the ref for making one mistake. Especially when players are seen as untouchable when it comes to manager comments but they often make plenty of mistakes.

because he refused interviews, not for saying no comment. Mourinho refuses to answer questions all the time and LVG walked out of several press conferences at Man U.

Managers can answer these questions without lying and without criticising the ref for making one mistake. Especially when players are seen as untouchable when it comes to manager comments but they often make plenty of mistakes.
He no commented a interview once and was fined 10k look it up.

Exactly this.

Referees are humans. They're going to make mistakes. Funnily enough, they're going to make less mistakes than most players but players won't receive anywhere near as much criticism for their mistakes.

But all this about lying not setting a good example to kids is nonsense.

Constantly criticising referees incites violence and abuse at grassroots. The number of incidents this season at grassroots are increasing significantly. I've had to send off 3 managers in youth football alone, who obviously all thought they were Pep Guardiola in another life. One for 2 dissent cautions, one for calling me a "c**t", amongst numerous other things and the other for running into the oppositions technical area and swearing at a 12 year old on the bench. Funnily enough, they all happened in U13s games!!

Respect towards referees has to be set from the top downwards. Managers criticising referees for what are genuine mistakes or managers lack of knowledge in the LoTG isn't the way forward.

Exactly this.

Referees are humans. They're going to make mistakes. Funnily enough, they're going to make less mistakes than most players but players won't receive anywhere near as much criticism for their mistakes.

But all this about lying not setting a good example to kids is nonsense.

Constantly criticising referees incites violence and abuse at grassroots. The number of incidents this season at grassroots are increasing significantly. I've had to send off 3 managers in youth football alone, who obviously all thought they were Pep Guardiola in another life. One for 2 dissent cautions, one for calling me a "c**t", amongst numerous other things and the other for running into the oppositions technical area and swearing at a 12 year old on the bench. Funnily enough, they all happened in U13s games!!

Respect towards referees has to be set from the top downwards. Managers criticising referees for what are genuine mistakes or managers lack of knowledge in the LoTG isn't the way forward.
Sorry will disagree if you don’t like the questions then it’s media asking them who need punished.

Sorry will disagree if you don’t like the questions then it’s media asking them who need punished.
Yeah but no one is under an obligation to answer a question. They're not going to be fined if they go, "I don't want to answer that".

The media's job is to ask questions, they do it in all walks of life. Look at questions being asked to politicians, members of the Royal family, celebrities. They're under no obligation to answer the questions.

I must say I don't think Marco Silva's comments were that bad really, not at least compared to Arteta's who has got away with his.

Silva is just implying the inexperience of the referee reffing in his biggest game in terms of crowd size has affected his performance and was in his eyes influenced by that.

Whilst we got to respect the refs, opinions should be allowed in interviews aslong as there is no personal abuse/bias towards the referee. You could argue Silva was suggesting some bias by saying the referee was influenced by the crowd but only he knows whether he was implying bias there.

Why? I'm a journalist and I'm well within my right to ask if a manager thinks a decision is correct or not.

They then CHOOSE to either answer to call the ref a disgrace or accuse them of ruining the game. Or they can still be honest and say "look I thought it was a yellow but it's a 90 minute game and there's more at play than a few decisions by an official"

The media's job is to ask questions, they do it in all walks of life. Look at questions being asked to politicians, members of the Royal family, celebrities. They're under no obligation to answer the questions.
No silly we should ban Journalists from asking questions that produce answers we don't like :) So the poor poppets answering don't get in trouble

They shouldn’t be punished for honesty when asked a direct question sports like Rugby and Boxing now both allow this when asked directly
But they aren't punished for simply being honest. A manager is well within their rights to say they believe the referee had a poor game or that they didn't agree with a specific decision.

The problem is that they try to get personal and maybe even suggest other things are at play.

Look at an interview between Arteta/Klopp & Postecoglu. Both are their honest opinions, but they go about it in completely different ways.

one of the best things ive ever seen on this topic was jim gannon refusing an interview with sky because his TV waste working and they hadn't fixed it!

there's nowt online i can see about ferguson getting fined aside from the BBC boycott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back