A&H

OFFINABUS towards me report

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 4W Referee
Had a player call me a spastic at full time today, red card all day fine.

On WholeGame I’ve put through the dismissal and detailed the incident in the box it gives you.

Is there anything else I need to do?

As I passed the away changing room I also heard the word repeated (about me), does that need an extraordinary report?

The Referee Store
Yep, that needs an extraordinary incident to accompany as it will potentially lead to an additional element to the charge relating to discriminatory language.

Make sure you reference the sending off that you’ve submitted at the start of the extraordinary incident report.

Had a player call me a spastic at full time today, red card all day fine.

On WholeGame I’ve put through the dismissal and detailed the incident in the box it gives you.

Is there anything else I need to do?

As I passed the away changing room I also heard the word repeated (about me), does that need an extraordinary report?
needs a report had a similar case last season as it’s discriminatory language against a protected characteristic.

I would suggest you need two extraordinary reports actually.

One to ensure the language used initially is picked up on, as this should be escalated to a higher level than just plain OFFINABUS.

And then the second for the additional OFFINABUS post-game. This may be a little trickier if you weren't able to identify the player in question, but I always think that if in doubt you should just report as much as you can and let the CFA work out how much they want to action.

One to ensure the language used initially is picked up on, as this should be escalated to a higher level than just plain OFFINABUS.

And then the second for the additional OFFINABUS post-game. This may be a little trickier if you weren't able to identify the player in question, but I always think that if in doubt you should just report as much as you can and let the CFA work out how much they want to action.
Agreed, the 2nd will result in a charge against the club rather than a player.

Done exactly that and the CFA got in touch the next day to follow up so job done.

Thanks for everyone’s help here.

Honestly though the process so far is making me regret the report and see why other officials I’ve seen in the area don’t bother reporting it.

Players aren’t stupid so the only neutral witness is myself, the rest are his teammates. I know from prior experience this means no sanction.

And in the meanwhile I’m having to give loads of details of the incident because it’s my first report as an official so my original report missed bits. Which is just constant reminders of the abuse.

Just a bit naff and means I won’t really feel like reporting next time unless I’m certain I have another witness.

Keep the faith! CFA's and The FA deal with many instances of reports where the referee has no other witnesses, and will deal with each case on the evidence provided. In grassroots cases there will only be a witness in very rare cases.
Moving into the "not bothering to report" camp leads to you becoming "Last week's referee", so please avoid that.

The advantage this season is that the CFA's have the power to deduct points for continuing misconduct. While there may be no sanction against the club, they may find them guilty - which starts the potential points deduction clock. Clubs are not going to get wise to this until it happens to them, when it is too late....

Honestly though the process so far is making me regret the report and see why other officials I’ve seen in the area don’t bother reporting it.

Players aren’t stupid so the only neutral witness is myself, the rest are his teammates. I know from prior experience this means no sanction.

And in the meanwhile I’m having to give loads of details of the incident because it’s my first report as an official so my original report missed bits. Which is just constant reminders of the abuse.

Just a bit naff and means I won’t really feel like reporting next time unless I’m certain I have another witness.
Football is no different to the law of the land, as in there has to be a premise of innocent until proven guilty. Think of it the other way, if a player accused you of misconduct would just be happy if this accusation was just taken at face value without an investigation and you were found guilty?

The CFA will have also asked the other club for their observations, it won't just be you. The player / club will be charged and they can either accept the charge, accept with mitigation, request a written hearing or request a personal hearing. In my experience of the last two options clubs inevitably tie themselves in knots and get themselves found guilty even though the referee is the only witness.

And even if they do talk their way out of it, so what? You've done your job, what happens from there on isn't down to you.

I'm the disabled person getting abused whilst the abusers, at best, have some admin to do, that's what.
That's just part of refereeing I'm afraid, not the getting abused bit, but sometimes players and clubs will appeal and get off.

I've been assessing / observing / coaching on games where referees have reported things that simply didn't happen. One one occasion a referee reported that he was punched by a manager, he was certainly threatened but there was zero physical contact. That's an extreme example, but I've been at many games where what the referee reported simply didn't happen. So there has to be some kind of process to let clubs and players challenge serious charges.

Plus it is vastly better than it used to be. It isn't that long ago that a simple red card could be appealed, and going back a bit further even cautions could be appealed. At least now it is only extraordinary incidents that can be appealed, the days of referees getting dragged to appeal hearings for bog standard red cards are long gone.

I'm the disabled person getting abused whilst the abusers, at best, have some admin to do, that's what.
Hey bud.

I know it is personal and to say don't take it personally is doing you a disservice.

The bodies will investigate it, he may or may not be found guilty. If the individual is found innocent, you have contributed towards a strike/stain (even if that isn't formally communicated).

The coaching team and his fellow players will know the truth and be furious at the admin storm this player has caused even if they get off lightly.

This player will learn a lesson. Either cut that language/behaviour out or risk a second referee having the courage to report them for a similar offence further down the road. Hence why the process needs people to be consistent and honest.

Also and this can be your silver lining - You aren't getting appointed to that team for the foreseeable future.

The above is what your report has contributed to, and you have done the right thing reporting it.

Stout heart. Ultimately if they do this to you, they'll do it to the next referee, and next week's referee might be the seventeen-year-old lad who's had to give up playing and will pack it in if they behave like that. We've got a responsibility to do the boring, unpleasant bits of admin and reporting so that the players and clubs realise there are standards of behaviour they have to uphold.

So, I can vouch for this one given that I was called a 'fking spacker' and issued a red card which then resulted in the offending player spitting straight in my face. Reported it to my CFA via an extraordinary report on WGS. Spoke to my RDO regarding it a few hours after it happened. Since then, my CFA have been absolutely incredible. Tehy charged the player for the OFFINABUS getting a 6 game ban from all footballing activities along with a fine and mandatory education as well as charging him for the assault, of which, he got a 7 year ban from all footballing activity and mandatory education. Bare in mind, this only happened just under 3 weeks ago!

My words would be to report it and let the CFA deal with it. Like others have said, make sure you do report it, sometimes, as in life, we might not get the desired outcome, however, from the report, its noted and any further issues of this nature will have a previous occurance which in turn, will help out in a disciplinary.

So, I can vouch for this one given that I was called a 'fking spacker' and issued a red card which then resulted in the offending player spitting straight in my face. Reported it to my CFA via an extraordinary report on WGS. Spoke to my RDO regarding it a few hours after it happened. Since then, my CFA have been absolutely incredible. Tehy charged the player for the OFFINABUS getting a 6 game ban from all footballing activities along with a fine and mandatory education as well as charging him for the assault, of which, he got a 7 year ban from all footballing activity and mandatory education. Bare in mind, this only happened just under 3 weeks ago!

My words would be to report it and let the CFA deal with it. Like others have said, make sure you do report it, sometimes, as in life, we might not get the desired outcome, however, from the report, its noted and any further issues of this nature will have a previous occurance which in turn, will help out in a disciplinary.
Well done for handling this. Hope you are OK. No one should have to go through what you have been through.

Back