A&H

Palace Vs Liverpool

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
Busy day for VAR, 2 penalty reviews for Palace - 1 given in real time then overturned on review for a foul in the build up, the 2nd not given in real time, but game then stopped 1 min 45 seconds later after the challenge then given after a review...

The Referee Store
I think in fairness, looking at the replays of the first half incident, the referee's view was blocked by the Palace player Hughes, so might not have seen the grab around the waist. However not sure why it then took so long to review on screen as it looked fairly obvious from the goalside and side on views.

TAA & VVD could consider themselves lucky to escape cautions for their repeated protests at the 2nd half penalty and VVD trying to slap the ball out of the penalty taker's hand.

Reactions: es1
Konate could be considered lucky not to be in the book for persistent infringement.

Ward lucky that Salah put that away - nasty lunge on Jones that definitely would have been a penalty and second yellow for him too!

Think VAR has been effective here. Wish they could just stop the clock though!!

Ayew very silly red. But think it is understandable for the 2nd yellow - because of the space to run it was spa imo.

Rio Ferdinand just described it as a "tactical foul" but said it shouldn't be a yellow card because he was already on one. 😂🤦‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

Think VAR has done well here. It was definitely a foul in the build up to the first penalty, and certainly what I think was a clear and obvious error not to give it. Not helped by Andy Madley's positioning, you can't be static just outside the centre circle when there is challenge near the edge of the penalty area. Second one was a clear penalty but not easy to see real time.

I don't disagree but 17 Fouls and only 2 yellows for Liverpool, that's a pretty ridiculous stat that suggests a fair amount of PI 🤷🏻‍♂️
By which player? Konate got his final warning on what could easily have just been the PI booking, but I didn't notice any particular other player standing out as a repeat offender.

I don't disagree but 17 Fouls and only 2 yellows for Liverpool, that's a pretty ridiculous stat that suggests a fair amount of PI 🤷🏻‍♂️
Don't think you can look at the number of fouls and correlate that to how many cards there should have been. A foul is only a caution if it is reckless, SPA or PI, and aside from Konate, who was warned, I don't recall any Liverpool player who was committing a lot of fouls. I've just looked at the BBC live text commentary and no Liverpool player had more than 2 fouls, although granted it only adds up to 16 so one is missing.

Diaz 2
Gomez 1
Konate 2
Tsimikas 1
Gakpo 2
Quansah 2
Endo 2
Nunez 1
Szoboszlai 1
Gravenberch 2

Ayew 2 fouls on Opta for his 2 yellows. I think you could have sold second yellow as careless, it was an attempt to play the ball, albeit mistimed.

Back