A&H

Palace Vs Liverpool

Don't think you can look at the number of fouls and correlate that to how many cards there should have been. A foul is only a caution if it is reckless, SPA or PI, and aside from Konate, who was warned, I don't recall any Liverpool player who was committing a lot of fouls. I've just looked at the BBC live text commentary and no Liverpool player had more than 2 fouls, although granted it only adds up to 16 so one is missing.

Diaz 2
Gomez 1
Konate 2
Tsimikas 1
Gakpo 2
Quansah 2
Endo 2
Nunez 1
Szoboszlai 1
Gravenberch 2
Fair enough with the foul count but that just didn't seem right. Thought there were a few Liverpool fouls where if you're gonna caution a Palace player for something similar, you're gonna have to caution a Liverpool player too 🤷🏻‍♂️

The Referee Store
Nobody expected the second yellow. Too deep in defensive half and no USB feel to it that one might expect of SPA. A first YC at a push, but doesn't fit with the usual higher bar for the C7

The result would've been the same without VAR, one PK given, one not so (just tother way round)
How on Earth we haven't seen a goal by either team during a lengthy check is beyond me. What if Palace had scored during those few minutes?
Huge amount of added time. I'd agree with the general consensus that the game again had the feel of the Officials taking centre stage. The red card was very harsh IMO. It didn't feel right at all. Broken record syndrome, but it's not the game most people want or expect

8 yellow cards for Palace including Ayew's 2Y/R & Roy Hodgson's for his protests on the touchline. Didn't have the feel of a 8 yellow card kind of performance. Do the automatic club fines still occur if a team amasses 5/6 yellows in a game? Liverpool's 2 yellow cards didn't come until stoppage time, both cynical fouls followed by kicking the ball away.

Carding in the game seemed a bit inconsistent at times. As I said earlier in thread, considering the so called clamp down on dissent, after the VAR penalty review, how has TAA got away with getting in the referee's ear at the screen and continued his protests all the way into the penalty area, where VVD also had plenty to say for himself along with finger pointing.

8 yellow cards for Palace including Ayew's 2Y/R & Roy Hodgson's for his protests on the touchline. Didn't have the feel of a 8 yellow card kind of performance. Do the automatic club fines still occur if a team amasses 5/6 yellows in a game? Liverpool's 2 yellow cards didn't come until stoppage time, both cynical fouls followed by kicking the ball away.

Carding in the game seemed a bit inconsistent at times. As I said earlier in thread, considering the so called clamp down on dissent, after the VAR penalty review, how has TAA got away with getting in the referee's ear at the screen and continued his protests all the way into the penalty area, where VVD also had plenty to say for himself along with finger pointing.
Almost every Palace card was SPA. I don't recall any particularly nasty tackles (worst was probably the Ward one that got ignored because Salah scores), but if players are going to constantly commit SPA, a good referee will end up with lots of cards regardless. It might not feel like an 8 card game to you, but it certainly felt like there was a lot of "taking a yellow" whenever Liverpool looked to break to me.

I've seen suggestions Ayew's second actually came when he stopped the quick FK after his foul - haven't seen that replay, but ref was certainly slow to go to his pocket so that's plausible.EDIT: misunderstood what I was reading, that was the first yellow.
Either way, I don't think SPA is out of the question - the player is heading into space on the wing and has Salah breaking the line only 1 pass away.

VVD is captain. Without knowing that anything he said crossed any lines, it's a bit odd to demand cards for pointing.

Last edited:
Liverpool have had two games this week dominated by VAR and to my eyes VAR inconsistency. I thought Nunez made a clear foul in the buildup to the 2nd against Shef, probably worse foul than the re-refereed VAR foul that chalked off the Palace pen.

And for the first against Shef, i thought VVD carelessly fouled the defender at the corner. I was fully expecting that to be rerefereed but it wasn’t.

And I also thought the 2nd yellow here was unecessary but acceptable.

TBH I don’t know what SPA is in football (or futsal). It is not defined in the LotG and that is a massive clanger that IFAB should fix.

Rio Ferdinand just described it as a "tactical foul" but said it shouldn't be a yellow card because he was already on one. 😂🤦‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

Think VAR has done well here. It was definitely a foul in the build up to the first penalty, and certainly what I think was a clear and obvious error not to give it. Not helped by Andy Madley's positioning, you can't be static just outside the centre circle when there is challenge near the edge of the penalty area. Second one was a clear penalty but not easy to see real time.
These players making these comments are hilarious to me. I didn't watch the game (just a 3 min highlight package that seems to have shown everything I need to know + extra clip of Ayew's first yellow card) and I feel like all the outcomes were correct.

Second yellow did look a bit cynical to me, he was getting a bit handsy.

Back