A&H

players understanding of the offside rule!

Surely the LOTG not being explicit means a rolling ball at a goal kick isn't an offence.

The Referee Store
No your right SM it doesn't, however for the record the ball does not have to be stationary from a goal kick. Players don't really understand any law though. Tonight I gave a penalty and was adamantly told by the players that if it wasn't DOGSO it HAS to be a yellow card. Love it.

Yes. Been there.
One thing I always ask the linos, with the captain present at the coin-toss, is to keep the flag down until the player offside actually touches the ball.
The ignorance of players over the LOTG is poor, though I was no better when I was playing!!
+1
I say the same thing and sldo almost always add that the signals given by the lines men are for meant for me and not the players

I had one that made me chuckle Wednesday....

Yellow vs Blue, yellow already won league, blue mid table mediocrity.

Yellow 6-0 up, ball played over the top by them, just before ball played I check the offside line to see a striker in the middle, unmarked but onside.

Sure enough ball goes over and he scores.

Then I get the constant protests of 'he was offside ref' followed by the obvious no from me.

One player says 'tell me how that wasn't off side ref' I said 'the player who received the ball and scored had at least two opposition players between him and the goal line at the time the ball was played'.

He then said 'I knew you'd say that, you refs always say that'

I did laugh!

Back