A&H

Referee Match Wallet

I
Anyone know what level writing numbers is acceptable at in England?
I would guess you mean flashing cards. Because I write numbers (along with the players name). To be honest I coach and sometimes I’m allowed to referee them. If I know the player, I just write their initials and number and show the card- I know who they are I don’t need to ask their name. That’s how I see it. One lad who I coach I have booked 4 times, I always write the same set of stuff down on my card for him and I know exactly who he is.

The Referee Store
Cards can't be flashed at L2B and below. That doesn't mean you can't take a number though, if you have the player names written in your book you can ask their name, then write a caution next to their name. Observers might well be suspicious if you are using write on cards, and you might find yourself getting asked in the debrief to show the card so that the observer can see it has names written on it (remote debriefs might help with this, sorry Mr Observer but I've wiped it clean since the game 😂).

Having a yellow and a red in the book can cause a problem. Think I've mentioned this before, but I was senior AR on a National League game where there was an absolute shocker of a tackle between the benches and centre circle, a clear red card. The referee was on it straight away and I saw the red in his wallet, he then pulled yellow from the other side and all hell broke loose. If I had any idea he was going to go yellow I would have been on the buzzer until it electrocuted him.

Likewise, a player seeing yellow only for you to pull red might not lead to a very pleasant reaction, conversely if he sees red he is less likely to be cooperative. I keep the cards in my pockets and have thick cardboard in the book to make it easier to write.

Cards can't be flashed at L2B and below. That doesn't mean you can't take a number though, if you have the player names written in your book you can ask their name, then write a caution next to their name. Observers might well be suspicious if you are using write on cards, and you might find yourself getting asked in the debrief to show the card so that the observer can see it has names written on it (remote debriefs might help with this, sorry Mr Observer but I've wiped it clean since the game 😂).

Having a yellow and a red in the book can cause a problem. Think I've mentioned this before, but I was senior AR on a National League game where there was an absolute shocker of a tackle between the benches and centre circle, a clear red card. The referee was on it straight away and I saw the red in his wallet, he then pulled yellow from the other side and all hell broke loose. If I had any idea he was going to go yellow I would have been on the buzzer until it electrocuted him.

Likewise, a player seeing yellow only for you to pull red might not lead to a very pleasant reaction, conversely if he sees red he is less likely to be cooperative. I keep the cards in my pockets and have thick cardboard in the book to make it easier to write.
If you use a match card (I use refstop) with names written on and you mark the caution on there is that the same principle as write on cards? I’m going for promotion and don’t want this to hinder that’s all.

If you use a match card (I use refstop) with names written on and you mark the caution on there is that the same principle as write on cards? I’m going for promotion and don’t want this to hinder that’s all.
Yes, that should be fine. The key thing is that you isolate the player and take their name, you are only likely to run into problems if you are seen to flash cards and then just write the number down.

I use the Ref Stop White match cards, write all the names down with corresponding numbers before I go out - go for a caution to blue 7, bring him over, pull white card and check name against blue 7 - 'is it John Smith?' 'yes, ref' 'thanks, here you go' - pull yellow card from pocket and show it, jot down time in yellow card, put both away, get on with game.

Using a wallet or a card (or any other means you prefer) wont hinder your promotion, you can use whatever you want - as long as you administer the process in whatever way is best for you to that allows you to confirm the name of the offender and jot down the time (and offence if you wish) then you have done what is required.

Yes, that should be fine. The key thing is that you isolate the player and take their name, you are only likely to run into problems if you are seen to flash cards and then just write the number down.
Thanks for that. I do follow that process, I just find it easier to have names written down then cross check with the name on the team sheet.

Thanks for that. I do follow that process, I just find it easier to have names written down then cross check with the name on the team sheet.
Same for me - when you get teamsheets in advance it makes sense to write all the names down, makes administering cautions and substitutions much faster and smoother

Also saves the embarrassment of asking a player with a complicated name to spell it out for you while everyone else waits! (I learnt that one the hard way)

Dont understand the taking of names. Just take number offence and time. Then after the game crosscheck with the teamsheet. Whats the reasoning for taking the players name? Not knocking it just dont see the reasoning

Dont understand the taking of names. Just take number offence and time. Then after the game crosscheck with the teamsheet. Whats the reasoning for taking the players name? Not knocking it just dont see the reasoning
In England, you can be marked down for doing that when being observed. It's to stop cards being flashed around like you would see in the PL.

Madness if u ask me. I take the player aside take his number and explain to him why he is being booked. Rarely ever flash cards as it can look messy at times

Madness if u ask me. I take the player aside take his number and explain to him why he is being booked. Rarely ever flash cards as it can look messy at times
Yeah I would hope that its something they change in the future to - As long as you follow the correct procedure you shouldn't be marked down for it.

Is a requirement in England below a certain level. Thankfully, 99% of my matches I'll have teamsheets before which I've copied onto my match card. So just a time and FT/HB etc written in their box once they confirm their name.

ETA: Without teamsheets, regardless if it's Archie Fagin-Smythe (Boglington Town Under 11 Reserves) or Cristiano Ronaldo in some charity match, they're telling me and it gets written down.

That's fine as long as the teamsheet matches the players' shirt numbers, which over here in England grassroots football is not always the case. Late arrivals are commonplace, especially on Sunday mornings, so late changes happen.
If you report tbe wrong name it causes issues for the Disciplinary Team, the club, and you.

Referee should check teamsheets before the game. If the team has the wrong name beside a number than that player gets punished. Written in our league rules that the team is responsible to make sure the match card is filled out correctly. Takes the responsibilty away from the referee

That's fine as long as the teamsheet matches the players' shirt numbers, which over here in England grassroots football is not always the case. Late arrivals are commonplace, especially on Sunday mornings, so late changes happen.
If you report tbe wrong name it causes issues for the Disciplinary Team, the club, and you.
Would Observers not mark down for that at Levels 4, 3 and 2B?

Would Observers not mark down for that at Levels 4, 3 and 2B?
As an Observer at 3 and below, I check with the referee which players were cautioned or dismissed, but do so by shirt colour/number, not players' names.
Observer reports mention (e. g.) Home 5, not names, as we don't usually have access to a teamsheet.
As long as the referee isolates the offender(s) and engages briefly with them to make the necessary record, job done.

Referee should check teamsheets before the game. If the team has the wrong name beside a number than that player gets punished. Written in our league rules that the team is responsible to make sure the match card is filled out correctly. Takes the responsibilty away from the referee
It is a league rule in many English grassroots leagues too, but errors occur and create work.
Five/ten seconds to record a name is also a little extra calming down time for the player.

The league I currently referee in, it is not a requirement to provide team sheets to ref, therefore, I need to take name for reporting admin. Taking names also makes sure (at a lower level more so) that the player you are carding is who they say they are, some players swap shirts etc etc.

Edit: I have been observed in the last three games as going for promotion and I know for a face that my observer would want to see name taken and process applied.

Last edited:
It is a league rule in many English grassroots leagues too, but errors occur and create work.
Five/ten seconds to record a name is also a little extra calming down time for the player.
And that's the reason flashing cards was banned. Even at contrib level there are mistakes with numbers of the team sheets and this creates additional work for the FA, at grass roots levels those mistakes are vastly higher. Difficult to put the right team sheet numbers down on a Sunday morning when hungover Harry and drunk Dave, who only got in at 4am, are turning up at kick off time.

Back