A&H

Refs can be mean...

Fair enough. From the angle I've seen it seems hard to say is a pen or not. Defender does a strange sort of jump and attacker stands up too quick after the whistle. Anyway, the person marking you must have thought it wasn't a pen.

The Referee Store
Fair enough. From the angle I've seen it seems hard to say is a pen or not. Defender does a strange sort of jump and attacker stands up too quick after the whistle. Anyway, the person marking you must have thought it wasn't a pen.
It was a somewhat strange one. The audible impact was convincing, something someone at a distance couldn't have taken into account
I'll just forget about it now. I've given it... It's more than supportable.... the complaints were nonsense... losing is hard to take for most folk
Puts our job into perspective though. I was unwelcome at the 'after party'... Typical of the culture in the game. They didn't deserve to lose so somebody must be blamed. I just see these things as 'good experience'

Last edited:
Yes, I was sufficiently certain at the time, not least because the contact was audible. I was more than satisfied on seeing it from this different angle. Only reason a doubt crept in was because the Secretary was very dissatisfied with the decision. Just a blinkered viewpoint - nothing new.
Positioning was spot on (by luck or by crook). I don't think it was a stonewaller personally, but more than supportable IMO
BTW, I'd already (earlier) cautioned the same player (that went down) for simulation (cheating). I happen to love cautions for simulation
I'd like to pick up on one point there, that I haven't seen discussed on here much, if at all.

The use of sound to help make a decision, I've found that it often helps make a decision maybe half a dozen times a match if you're in the middle and a coupe of times if you're on the line.

I'd like to pick up on one point there, that I haven't seen discussed on here much, if at all.

The use of sound to help make a decision, I've found that it often helps make a decision maybe half a dozen times a match if you're in the middle and a coupe of times if you're on the line.
That's a tricky one when the ball was won in a fair tackle/challenge, but in the follow up there is a sound. Similar situation for me last Saturday when I was AR, didn't flag for a "soundy follow-up" on a fair tackle, but the referee gave the free kick from a bit o a distance. We discussed it half-time and he thought he could have been mistaken and blew too quickly and probably because of the sound. His decision was obviously met with a lot of noise and his AR praised for not flagging. Luckily the free kick did not end in the back of the net and was soon forgotten.

Had one last week where the keeper was just a bit late missed the ball and contact to the shin was audible. He tried the innocent game, but even his defenders said you could hear the contact from halfway. From where I was, I couldn't 100% see the contact but the sound really helped sell it. Must be difficult in a full stadium

Well L4 is a frustrating place
My season - First 5 games observed (all in 2022) average 72.81 (8/49) (No end-of-season appointments as I've done my 10 games 😒)
Last 5 games (all in 2023) no observations
Hence no benefit to me of having dual-running seasons. I'll be saying to Mr O Coordinator, 'if i get off to a good start next season, don't do the same thing again because I want my observations to span the dual seasons'

I won't get promoted on account of Club Marks. Got hammered by Home Club Secretary last night for awarding this PK. Just can't win.... we all face the same frustrating predicament

That is some of the worst defending I've ever seen!

Had one last week where the keeper was just a bit late missed the ball and contact to the shin was audible. He tried the innocent game, but even his defenders said you could hear the contact from halfway. From where I was, I couldn't 100% see the contact but the sound really helped sell it. Must be difficult in a full stadium
A full stadium has never been an issue for me! :p

Back