A&H

Verbally distracting.......

Padfoot

The Persecuted One
Watching my son play this morning.....

The referee on the game is from out of area, never seen them before, came across as very very over officious during the pre match phase.

Anyway....1st half progresses......the away side have an attacker making a threatening run down the wing, near the PA.....as the home (my side) defenders are moving into challenge for the ball, I hear someone screaming, and I do mean screaming (I was 40-50 yds away and heard it clearly) "Don't foul Don't foul".......
I realise at this point it is the referee who is approx. 10 yds from play, and screaming at the top of his voice at our defenders......
Now, being 13 yr old kids, they naturally hesitate at the verbal onslaught directed towards them.....the result being the attacker skips around both of them and scores.

Ok, I'm all for communicating with players......and I accept that maybe the defenders should have ignored the distraction ( play to the whistle and all that) but easier said than done when you're 13 and the ref is screaming at you from a short distance away!

I question the words used the by the ref, personally if you're going to try to verbally guide the players the phrase "steady" is better....and obviously the volume needs to be appropriate to the situation......maybe with adults you can scream at top volume, but with kids its absolutely inappropriate.

Unless we have a referee who knows me, and my role as an assessor, I never volunteer that information, or even that I am a ref, so I didn't have the opportunity to explore it with the referee (I would have liked to know the thought process behind why he felt it necessary or appropriate to shout in such a manner at kids) but it left a poor impression of what was otherwise an average performance.

The Referee Store
Remember that young referees are being coached now as part of referee academies, and they will be taught to use preventative talking to avoid problems. The referee will probably think he has only done what he was taught to do.

Remember that young referees are being coached now as part of referee academies, and they will be taught to use preventative talking to avoid problems. The referee will probably think he has only done what he was taught to do.

Shame it wasn't a young referee!! It was a more "mature" colleague.

And there is "preventative talking" and there is scaring the **** out of kids!

Ah, fair enough. Perhaps he should still use the "vocals" then but tone the volume down a bit for kids games.

Watching my son play this morning.....

The referee on the game is from out of area, never seen them before, came across as very very over officious during the pre match phase.

Anyway....1st half progresses......the away side have an attacker making a threatening run down the wing, near the PA.....as the home (my side) defenders are moving into challenge for the ball, I hear someone screaming, and I do mean screaming (I was 40-50 yds away and heard it clearly) "Don't foul Don't foul".......
I realise at this point it is the referee who is approx. 10 yds from play, and screaming at the top of his voice at our defenders......
Now, being 13 yr old kids, they naturally hesitate at the verbal onslaught directed towards them.....the result being the attacker skips around both of them and scores.

Ok, I'm all for communicating with players......and I accept that maybe the defenders should have ignored the distraction ( play to the whistle and all that) but easier said than done when you're 13 and the ref is screaming at you from a short distance away!

I question the words used the by the ref, personally if you're going to try to verbally guide the players the phrase "steady" is better....and obviously the volume needs to be appropriate to the situation......maybe with adults you can scream at top volume, but with kids its absolutely inappropriate.

Unless we have a referee who knows me, and my role as an assessor, I never volunteer that information, or even that I am a ref, so I didn't have the opportunity to explore it with the referee (I would have liked to know the thought process behind why he felt it necessary or appropriate to shout in such a manner at kids) but it left a poor impression of what was otherwise an average performance.

It worked...they didn't foul?

Anyway, how on earth can a referee be over officious in your book??

I thought you were the definition of officious?

It worked...they didn't foul?

Anyway, how on earth can a referee be over officious in your book??

I thought you were the definition of officious?

There is "professionally efficient", which is what I class myself as......and there is nit pickingly officious.......which is where todays specimen fits in.

Nit Pickingly officious....
Making 13 yr old kids line up, insisting that they are "shoulder to shoulder", then proceeding to lecture them for 5-10 minutes on what he does/does not expect from them, explaining that he is the only one on the pitch with "full knowledge of the rules" so "there is no point arguing with me, as I will be right and you will be wrong".....etc etc....

Again, have no problem in referees setting their stalls out, so to speak, but "appropriately" is again the key word. 13/14 yr old kids will switch off in the first 1 minute or 2 of such a speech......

Professionally efficient....
"Ok lads, play to the whistle, don't back chat me, have a great game...."

Making 13 yr old kids line up, insisting that they are "shoulder to shoulder", then proceeding to lecture them for 5-10 minutes on what he does/does not expect from them, explaining that he is the only one on the pitch with "full knowledge of the rules" so "there is no point arguing with me, as I will be right and you will be wrong".....etc etc....

Again, have no problem in referees setting their stalls out, so to speak, but "appropriately" is again the key word. 13/14 yr old kids will switch off in the first 1 minute or 2 of such a speech......

Sounds like he needs a short spell in OA male to sort that out...

somebody might want to remind him he cant have full knowledge of the rules, we dont have rules in foot ball.
maybe he thinks he is being proactive in foul prevention
when i go to see my local senior club the top ars are always shouting
dont foul, arms down , clean tackle

Has Padfoot been out-Padfooted?!

Who was it!!? Fess up?!

Btw I'm amazed that anyone would consider talking to players as being a bad thing? Especially as an assessor....worrying

Has Padfoot been out-Padfooted?!

Who was it!!? Fess up?!

Btw I'm amazed that anyone would consider talking to players as being a bad thing? Especially as an assessor....worrying

If you had bothered to read the post properly instead of just trying to find something to take a cheap shot with.....you would have seen....

Clearly I have no problem with talking to players, however that "talking" needs to be appropriate.......what is worrying is a referee who thinks that an adult screaming at top volume at children is appropriate.

I'd say that if that at 12/13 year old then communicating in a normal adult way is fine. They've obviously not been coached properly or refereed properly before or would just get on with it.

Now as for the cheap pop if I wanted to make a cheap pop I'd have added that with your involvement it's highly likely. THAT is a cheap pop - and is a joke before you lose your mind over it.

I'd say that if that at 12/13 year old then communicating in a normal adult way is fine. They've obviously not been coached properly or refereed properly before or would just get on with it.

Now as for the cheap pop if I wanted to make a cheap pop I'd have added that with your involvement it's highly likely. THAT is a cheap pop - and is a joke before you lose your mind over it.

You really believe that an adult screaming at children at the top of their voice is an appropriate form of a communication? Wow. Just wow.

Anyway......off to ruminate further over what to score this particular referee......and whether appropriate feedback might be in order via his CFA's RDO.......

1GJN7.gif

How dare the kids be told what to do! God this post annoys me.

Then maybe you should stop contributing to it?

It isn't about telling kids what to do per se.....its about how we, as referees, can do it in an appropriate manner. If you can't or won't, understand how an adult, especially one in a position of authority, screaming at kids at the top of the voice, is an inappropriate method of communicating then I can only hope that you are not involved in youth football.

Back