A&H

Verbally distracting.......

1GJN7.gif

Imitation....etc etc

The Referee Store
How dare the kids be told what to do! God this post annoys me.
I think you've misread. The issue doesn't appear to be that they were told 'no foul', it's about how it was said.
Nothing wrong with saying 'no foul'....I hear it a lot. I think it's largely personal preference as to what you want to say here. I don't think there's any need to worry about the exact wording used.
But referees do need to remain aware of how they're doing it. For instance, I wonder how many referees think about whether they're actually alerting the attacker to the presence of a defender and are actually benefitting the attacker? The referee may as well be shouting 'man on!' sometimes.
Referee definitely needs to be very aware of baulking the players. Sounds like the ref was probably a bit over the top here.

Sons team lost eh? :p

More seriously, I have come across the shrieking ref from time to time (the ref type rather than the one you refer to) who uses the phrase "don't foul" (or should that be "DON'T FOUL!") and it is annoying for everyone involved. It kind of amuses me when team mates shout at each other not to foul, but the ref getting involved? The mind boggles :confused:

Perhaps it's because I'm used to being told to do the above in supply league games that I don't consider it unusual.

In fact the other week I was told to 'shout so loud that they could hear me on other side of the pitch'

I think you've misread. The issue doesn't appear to be that they were told 'no foul', it's about how it was said.
Nothing wrong with saying 'no foul'....I hear it a lot. I think it's largely personal preference as to what you want to say here. I don't think there's any need to worry about the exact wording used.
But referees do need to remain aware of how they're doing it. For instance, I wonder how many referees think about whether they're actually alerting the attacker to the presence of a defender and are actually benefitting the attacker? The referee may as well be shouting 'man on!' sometimes.
Referee definitely needs to be very aware of baulking the players. Sounds like the ref was probably a bit over the top here.

What I took from this is that the players were obviously distracted by the calls and were therefore less able to prevent the subsequent goal. Perhaps the referee was too forceful in his tone, but the wider point it raises is how communication in play needs to be very carefully managed so as to avoid controversy. There are occasions, I think, where a referee is well advised to have a preventative word. For example, if he can see a player is frustrated by time-wasting tactics and seems like he might be about to commit a SFP/VC offence. Or perhaps when a player is beginning to impede or hold another player, and you want to make clear that if it develops any further it becomes a foul. And of course, I don't believe there is any harm in indicating to a keeper whether he/she can pick the ball up, if asked. However, education can take place at a different time. On the pitch, the referee's role is to judge what happens; and thus it should--where it is not inadequate--remain remedial, not prophylactic.

I agree about referee's being conscious of their impact. Personally, I don't even shout 'advantage' if a player is about to shoot for fear of baulking him. Perhaps technically incorrect but I'm okay with that - I still signal with the arms. Never caused any problem but doesn't come up much. I would expect an assessor to at least ask about it though.

I agree about referee's being conscious of their impact. Personally, I don't even shout 'advantage' if a player is about to shoot for fear of baulking him. Perhaps technically incorrect but I'm okay with that - I still signal with the arms. Never caused any problem but doesn't come up much. I would expect an assessor to at least ask about it though.

Likewise and I've never been pulled up for not vocally signaling advantage either

Back