A&H

who has which flag...

es1

RefChat Addict
my fault, i knew this observer had a specific foible about which assistant has which flag and I forgot yesterday. it won't lose me any marks as it'll be minor development, but...

his argument is that the first named assistant on moas should have the chequered/coloured flag while the second should have the plain yellow. in every single other match I do, the senior assistant gets the chequered/coloured flag regardless of moas order

anyone have any thoughts on this?

The Referee Store
my fault, i knew this observer had a specific foible about which assistant has which flag and I forgot yesterday. it won't lose me any marks as it'll be minor development, but...

his argument is that the first named assistant on moas should have the chequered/coloured flag while the second should have the plain yellow. in every single other match I do, the senior assistant gets the chequered/coloured flag regardless of moas order

Yes, the observer needs reconsider his life choices

absolute hogwash

You get to determine which assistant is Senior, not MOAS. And if you do happen to care about flag colour, the Senior gets the checked/more orange one.

It really doesn't and shouldn't matter to anyone, but if you are going to kick up a fuss about it, the observer should at least get it right!

You get to determine which assistant is Senior, not MOAS. And if you do happen to care about flag colour, the Senior gets the checked/more orange one.

It really doesn't and shouldn't matter to anyone, but if you are going to kick up a fuss about it, the observer should at least get it right!

that's not quite what he's suggesting...

he's saying I can choose who is senior, but the one named on moas first should get the chequered flag.

on my games, 100% of the time, senior gets the chequered flag

If that makes its way into the report as any kind of development advice I would absolutely be chucking that back at the observer co ordinator.
Utter hogwash.
I've never EVER been told who has what flag but the standard on the Tele is senior has chequered and the junior has the plain yellow.
What happens if you have ervo com where the flags are the same??

If that makes its way into the report as any kind of development advice I would absolutely be chucking that back at the observer co ordinator.
Utter hogwash.
I've never EVER been told who has what flag but the standard on the Tele is senior has chequered and the junior has the plain yellow.

my thoughts are that it won't affect the mark and just to let it slide (especially as I've already rocked the boat this season already)...it's his last year observing as well

my thoughts are that it won't affect the mark and just to let it slide (especially as I've already rocked the boat this season already)...it's his last year observing as well
TBF I don't even think there isn't a competency for it to go in the report against.
Probably over reacted at the ridiculousness of it 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: es1
Utter hogwash.

Yip, if its said on phone, I would laugh and sigh, ok....

if its in print, it be escalated

Any idea what his logic is for this ?

I can only think it relates to printed programmes and allowing spectators to work out which AR is which, but that's tenuous

On every game I've ever been part of, if there is difference in the flags, senior AR gets the more patterned or orange one.

That one goes straight in at number 1 on my list of bizarre observer foibles ! Other unusual ones I've seen are obsessions with the colours of whistles and pens and pedantic views on which half the referee should be in at KO

that's not quite what he's suggesting...

he's saying I can choose who is senior, but the one named on moas first should get the chequered flag.

on my games, 100% of the time, senior gets the chequered flag
Yeah, I do follow - I just still think he's wrong. You pick who's Senior, that person gets the fancy flag.

It's actually occurred to me that it could matter who has which flag if if they have different buzzes - and so therefore, what matters is that you know if you should be looking bench side or to the junior line when it buzzes. Personally, if I had buzzers I would set it up so that the "bench buzz" has the fancy flag and the "junior buzz" has the less fancy flag, so I can easily give them to the appropriate assistant pre-match.

But MOAS doesn't come into it even in that one scenario where it might matter, and I certainly wouldn't get into switching the flags onto opposite poles so that they match moas!

Reactions: es1
Any idea what his logic is for this ?

I can only think it relates to printed programmes and allowing spectators to work out which AR is which, but that's tenuous

On every game I've ever been part of, if there is difference in the flags, senior AR gets the more patterned or orange one.

That one goes straight in at number 1 on my list of bizarre observer foibles ! Other unusual ones I've seen are obsessions with the colours of whistles and pens and pedantic views on which half the referee should be in at KO

that was his rationale

speaking of coloured whistles, one if my lines said he was recently advised (closed book) by an observer to get a black whistle as observers at L4 and up don't like colours...

I've had a blue whistle for 8 years and never received a comment!

This was definitely a thing when I was in the system, but I think the rationale for it is no longer valid. We were told that the first named had the checked flag so the assessor knew who was who. At the time it was rare for contact to be made at the game so they needed a way to tell assistants apart for reporting.
Now the observer obviously makes contact before, on the day and also after so this is not relevant any more.
Some assessors / observers are stuck in the past and really don’t like change. It was the same in my time as well.

I have a whistle that matches each coloured shirt that I wear.
I wear a garmin as my main watch and have a watch band that matches my shirt colours as well.

I thought the FA had mandated that the first listed AR on MOAS should be senior and bench side? That is certainly the case at higher levels, I was sure someone had told me it went down to L3.

I thought the FA had mandated that the first listed AR on MOAS should be senior and bench side? That is certainly the case at higher levels, I was sure someone had told me it went down to L3.

Never heard this, ever, even as a rumor and certainly doesn't exist at contrib or supply level

If they have, it's not being implemented below Step 1 round here.

Certainly not at contrib and all the Step 2 lines I have done so far we've had a discussion as a team of 3 about which way round to do it, taking into account all the usual stuff

Whenever I've been AR on MOAS on NWCFL or FA Cup/Vase early rounds, there's been a discussion in the 3 at to who is dugouts, so as I know it, not necessarily first listed.

Nah! Not a thing. Enough appointments as there is without having to check that senior was listed 1st

Nah! Not a thing. Enough appointments as there is without having to check that senior was listed 1st
Perhaps they were planning it and never did then. It is definitely in place in the top few divisions, hence why you always see Stu Burt and Gary Beswick named first and with the benches (the latter probably wishes he wasn't at the weekend)

Back