A&H

Your "go to" phrases that you always use

The Referee Store
one that i used on sunday after an sending off a player for telling me to **** off.
Coach: "Why did you send him off ref, you have to tell"
Me: "He knows what he has done. ask him he will tell you"
I then sprint away and carry on with the game

Another that i use now that i dop junior league for dissent

"Ahh. You want big boy rules? well thus is what happens for the big boys when they show dissent" I then caution him

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually the captains for my age groups are very unfamiliar with the role so at kick off it's just "Hi guys enjoy the game". I always found speaking to team captains a bit odd to be honest, half of them forget they actually are the captain and have no idea why you've called them over! A guilt trip about my nerve hearing loss goes some way to cracking down on verbals. Yet to see it go the other way, surprisingly...

one that i used on sunday after an sending off a player for telling me to **** off.
Coach: "Why did you send him off ref, you have to tell"
Me: "He knows what he has done. ask him he will tell you"
I then sprint away and carry on with the game

Why not just tell him?

No 10 ? your voice is boring me now ....if I hear it again your getting booked ....(nice loud voice so everyone hears )

"Ref are you watching this game " or similar sarcastic comment ...will normally get ...."player .....let me do the reffin and you just concentrate on your first touch "
that's a winner :D the player normally crawls under a stone while his bench and team mates rip him apart

Sarcasm is a great weapon :)

No 10 ? your voice is boring me now ....if I hear it again your getting booked ....(nice loud voice so everyone hears )

"Ref are you watching this game " or similar sarcastic comment ...will normally get ...."player .....let me do the reffin and you just concentrate on your first touch "
that's a winner :D the player normally crawls under a stone while his bench and team mates rip him apart

Sarcasm is a great weapon :)

These two are going straight in the repertoire!!

No fella i dont know the rules of football as last time i checked they were laws not rules

or

Really I must be reffing a different game to u player

To "foul throw" shouts - "Why?"

"Yes the ball DID hit his arm, doesn't mean it was deliberate"

"Most obvious penalty I've given all season"

Having succumbed to the Frozen phenomenon I find myself skipping along and humming this song whenever I see a suspect tackle .. just "Let It Go" !!

One that I used recently that will be going into my arsenal

Player (after I penalise him for a foul) "That is a disgrace Ref"

Me: "I agree, its a disgrace that you/your striker missed that sitter 10 minutes ago" OR "It's a disgrace that you are losing 7-1"

Got me an appreciative laugh from the spectators :)

One that I used recently that will be going into my arsenal

Player (after I penalise him for a foul) "That is a disgrace Ref"

Me: "I agree, its a disgrace that you/your striker missed that sitter 10 minutes ago" OR "It's a disgrace that you are losing 7-1"

Got me an appreciative laugh from the spectators :)

Presumably you made your witty remark whilst cautioning the player for dissent?

...On whether you are the referee at that particular game or not? :)

Else no. Pretty much nailed on caution for dissent.

I agree with SM.

Always be cautious of criticising the performance or ability of any player, it will come back to bite you.

And nothing hurts your match control more than double standards. You can't be wearing earrings and jewellery while you're telling a player to leave the pitch to sort his equipment out, so equally you can't caution a player for dissent while you're telling him he's rubbish.

If they moan at me I usually try and say something witty to make em laugh. The other week I was doing a youth game and one of the player's shouted "OMG Ref!!! are you having a laugh did you not see that!!" My very vociferous reply to him was "Hashtag, Shut up and get on with it lol" the coaches and the parents on the sideline burst out laughing at this point, the player just shook his head in an embarrassed fashion.

Back