A&H

2019 L3 promotion

Would that change if I made it into AA though?

You would be reliant upon those around you and the tightness of the marks on your supply league.
I know of AA’s over the years not going up, two this year who finished 6th and 7th with AB’s who finished higher for observers being taken.

The Referee Store
Precisely what i don't like about
Same here. Don't give out freebies. Marks have to be earned and if you don't do what you are supposed to, then you have to learn to deal with the outcome.

I used to say to referees at L4, don't exhibit any "style" until L3. Now I say, don't exhibit any at all; just do the job right.
Precisely what i don't like about progression. There's a contrived way of doing things which suppresses new ideas and individuality. Not sure what the alternative is however. I maintain that the overall standard of officiating in football is poorer than any other sport i can think of, so the wisdom passed down from the very top is not the ticket

Precisely what i don't like about

Precisely what i don't like about progression. There's a contrived way of doing things which suppresses new ideas and individuality. Not sure what the alternative is however. I maintain that the overall standard of officiating in football is poorer than any other sport i can think of, so the wisdom passed down from the very top is not the ticket

I'd contend it's worse in cricket, where the top tier of officials now just rely on TV technology and league umpire appointments are much more down to who you know, rather than how you perform.

Michael Hayden Amateur Football Alliance
Christopher Hastings Army FA
Daniel Smith Army FA
Peter Conn Army FA
Gareth Dunn Army FA
Thomas Ratheram Bedfordshire FA
Ryan Dix Berks & Bucks FA
Stephen Williams Berks & Bucks FA
Charlie Bullock Berks & Bucks FA
Stephen Parkinson Berks & Bucks FA
Nicholas Metcalfe Berks & Bucks FA
Daniel Todd Berks & Bucks FA
James Cox Birmingham FA
Luis Martin Birmingham FA
Ashley Clarke Birmingham FA
Adam Davies Cheshire FA
Oliver Nolan Cheshire FA
Zharir Mustafa Cheshire FA
Rowan Clarke Cornwall FA
David Constable Derbyshire FA
Stuart Ash Devon FA
Christopher Joyce Durham FA
Paul Cooper Durham FA
Connor Scott Durham FA
Garry Fletcher-Tindall East Riding FA
Mathew Wright East Riding FA
Ayrton Hursey Essex FA
Paul Stratton Essex FA
Joseph Gray Essex FA
Mark Pond Essex FA
Eugene Robinson Essex FA
Thomas Staten Gloucestershire FA
Samuel Fudge Gloucestershire FA
Ryan Saward Gloucestershire FA
Peter Lowe Hampshire FA
Paula Wyatt Hampshire FA
Thomas Moisey Hampshire FA
Gary Connell Hertfordshire FA
Matthew Fletcher Hertfordshire FA
Shaun Gregory Huntingdonshire FA
Nick Dunn Kent FA
Joseph Mckay Kent FA
Jordan Crossley Lancashire FA
Matthew Mcquillan Lancashire FA
Abid Hussain Lancashire FA
Alexander Beckett Lancashire FA
Mark Hughes Lancashire FA
Matthew Jackson Leicestershire & Rutland FA
Daniel Woolley Lincolnshire FA
Lee Hartley Lincolnshire FA
Lawrence Torz-Brown London FA
Toby Enstone London FA
William Davis Manchester FA
Declan Brown Manchester FA
Matthew Young Manchester FA
Alexander Kelly Manchester FA
Yasmin Saeed Manchester FA
Michael Mackey Middlesex FA
Neil Fyfield Middlesex FA
Thomas Harvey Norfolk FA
Dane Mccarrick North Riding FA
Luke Scott Northamptonshire FA
Martyn Gospel Northamptonshire FA
Joe Woolmer Northamptonshire FA
Adam Nichol Northumberland FA
Craig Chatten Northumberland FA
Darren Williams Northumberland FA
Christopher Hunter Nottinghamshire FA
Lewis Morgan Nottinghamshire FA
Scott Mason Nottinghamshire FA
John Okole Oxfordshire FA
Luke Lazenby Sheffield & Hallamshire FA
Wayne Cooper Sheffield & Hallamshire FA
Ashley Royston Sheffield & Hallamshire FA
Matthew Bacon Sheffield & Hallamshire FA
Jamie Conde Staffordshire FA
Richard Watson Staffordshire FA
Niall Smith Staffordshire FA
Emily Heaslip Suffolk FA
Bradley Mingay Suffolk FA
Andrew Connor Surrey FA
Harrison Blair Surrey FA
Luis Nunes Surrey FA
Ciaran Fidler Sussex FA
Will Briers Sussex FA
Jamie Waters West Riding FA
Stephen Rushworth West Riding FA
Majid Ali West Riding FA
Darius Bradley West Riding FA
James Welsh Wiltshire FA
Brian White Wiltshire FA
Samuel Read Wiltshire FA
Graham Pearce Wiltshire FA
Daniel Pattison Worcestershire FA
Ricky Brookes Worcestershire FA

In a bizarre twist of fate, was contacted by the FA today and told that I had now been added to the list of those promoted to Level 3. In total shock as you might imagine! Would love to celebrate tonight .... but maybe after the fitness test might be wiser :)

@Darius, @Monotone Whistle et al .... see you in Coventry for the July meeting!

:):)
Stuff of dreams. Well done. Hope to join you soon.

In a bizarre twist of fate, was contacted by the FA today and told that I had now been added to the list of those promoted to Level 3. In total shock as you might imagine! Would love to celebrate tonight .... but maybe after the fitness test might be wiser :)

Never in doubt! I'll be watching you on the tele soon. Bye bye Spartan

Congratulations but surely a weird feeling ? Was there an admittance of error or essentially have they implied you were "second best" or "best of the worst" possibly due to unforeseen circumstances ?

Congratulations but surely a weird feeling ? Was there an admittance of error or essentially have they implied you were "second best" or "best of the worst" possibly due to unforeseen circumstances ?

I would hazard a guess that someone turned down promotion, it happens fairly frequently, they then take the next placed person. L4 to L3 is a big step up in terms of commitments and not everyone wants it. It isn't like levels 7 to 4 where you have to apply for promotion, from L4 onwards you are automatically in the promotion (and demotion) mix, you aren't asked if you are interested in promotion or not.

I would hazard a guess that someone turned down promotion, it happens fairly frequently, they then take the next placed person. L4 to L3 is a big step up in terms of commitments and not everyone wants it. It isn't like levels 7 to 4 where you have to apply for promotion, from L4 onwards you are automatically in the promotion (and demotion) mix, you aren't asked if you are interested in promotion or not.

I'm fully aware of how the system works and the requirements of stepping up.
I know the feeling of receiving the email of promotion to L3 however, I suspect individuals would react differently to it should that email come approaching a month after the true 4-3 candidates were informed.

I'm curious if a rationale was given in this instance and if it has been explicitly stated that promotions were turned down or indeed other errors were made by the FA.

I suspect individuals would react differently to it should that email come approaching a month after the true 4-3 candidates were informed.

:D:D:D

In my Supply League pool there had previously been 5 promotions announced (from a total of 58 referees I believe). Or, as you so elegantly put it "the true 4-3 candidates" :rolleyes:. Given that I was not (quite) AA banded I can totally believe that I might have been viewed as #6 on the list. That said, in light of the vagaries of both different observers and marking from clubs, the difference between myself and #5 (or #7) was, I'm sure, negligible.

It did indeed feel very weird because it was unexpected. And I can't compare to getting the letter at a different time because that didn't happen to me. All I know is that it's the culmination of 6 years of extremely hard work and feels all the sweeter because I'm not in the first flush of youth (my son has just finished his first season as an official ...)

I'm fully aware of how the system works and the requirements of stepping up.
I know the feeling of receiving the email of promotion to L3 however, I suspect individuals would react differently to it should that email come approaching a month after the true 4-3 candidates were informed.

I don’t know if this reads in a different tone to how you’d intended, but I think this is a bit insulting towards Russell, who has obviously had a superb season to be in a position to be offered promotion.

Personally I wouldn’t give the shiniest **** when the email came, if I were offered Level 3 I’d be on cloud nine. To imply that somehow Russell isn’t a true promotion, like he’s some kind of ‘phoney’ second-rate choice, is a bit off. In my humble opinion anyway!

Back