A&H

5-4

What clubs hate are unexpected cards, e.g. dissent or OFFINABUS where no one has heard what has been said.
As a personal interest, what’s the solution?

Someone commits dissent by word, quietly to the ref/AR in the corner opposite the benches, 95% of refs aren’t pulling a card out Step 6+ I’d argue? Is this right? I get its meeting expectations, but is it technically allowing this behaviour to snowball?

I will add, there are undoubtedly ways to manage these situations without a card, but from my experience running S5/6 lines, it’s rare these sort of things are penalised by any more than a public rebuke or quiet word, even when some might expect more.

Not complaining about it as such, more questioning the way it is

The Referee Store
As a personal interest, what’s the solution?

Someone commits dissent by word, quietly to the ref/AR in the corner opposite the benches, 95% of refs aren’t pulling a card out Step 6+ I’d argue? Is this right? I get its meeting expectations, but is it technically allowing this behaviour to snowball?

I will add, there are undoubtedly ways to manage these situations without a card, but from my experience running S5/6 lines, it’s rare these sort of things are penalised by any more than a public rebuke or quiet word, even when some might expect more.

Not complaining about it as such, more questioning the way it is
If it absolutely crosses the line then of course it should be a red card even if no one else has heard it. But this would be extremely rare, how many times would a player whisper an insult to a referee, or show dissent by whispering for that matter?

For dissent, the best way to protect club marks is to set the player up for a fall. The first time he steps out of line publicly speak to him, with or without the captain depending on how bad it was, that way when the caution inevitably comes there can't really be any complaints.

Back