A&H

7-6 first observation

The Referee Store
Youth games do count in the minimum of 20 games before applying for promotion - I queried my RDO on this earlier in March.

Because of my work, I can't do regular Saturdays so I do far more Youth (U16) games which are on a Sunday than OA games on a Saturday. I had done well in excess of 20 games before the promotion season began, but not 20 OA games. My RDO would have been happy for me to proceed onto the promotion programme on that basis.

(In the end, I didn't enter the promotion programme as I can't be sure I can do 14 (70% of 20) OA games that qualify for promotion in one promotion season (I've done 8 OA games in the last 4 weeks, but as friendlies, they wouldn't count). Looks like I'll stay a lowly seven.)
Are you sure about that? I was fairly confident that friendly OA matches still counted, at least for 7-6.

I'd absolutely encourage any referee to at least try for promotion, as I think I've learnt more from some of the good assessors I've had than from many matches worth of doing the same thing with no feedback.

Are you sure about that? I was fairly confident that friendly OA matches still counted, at least for 7-6.

I'd absolutely encourage any referee to at least try for promotion, as I think I've learnt more from some of the good assessors I've had than from many matches worth of doing the same thing with no feedback.
I agree, the promotion process taught me more in one season than I learnt in the first four just doing youth football!

When I contacted my RDO they gave me a list of the leagues/games that would count towards promotion and it was quite specfic as to what I could and couldn't count. As a rule of thumb, they had to (at least) include submitting club marks, which no-one does for friendlies.

As you say, I'd like to go through the promotion process (at least to L6) for my own development, gaining feedback from assesors. I've just checked the stats I've kept since 1st Jan this year - I've done in excess of 40 games (middles) including 15 OA, a number of (high standard) U18 & U16 games plus a few lines. We have a new RDO, perhaps I'll have a chat with them in January when the new promotion season comes into view.

Think there may be a bit of crossed lines here as there are two things ...

- to be able to apply for promotion you need to have officiated at least 20 games in one registration period. There is no stipulation of age groups in this regulation so you have to assume that all games count, including youth.

- Once on the promotion scheme you must referee at least 20 games between 1st March and 28th February, and at least 70% of these must be in open age football. So youth games are allowed to count towards the 20, but a minimum of 14 must be in open age football.

Hi guys,
I will be looking at attempting promotion next season possibly and have noted that my county FA require a written exam to be undertaken aswell as the 20 games. Is this common practice and would the exam be similar to the LOTG exam taken when training?

Hi guys,
I will be looking at attempting promotion next season possibly and have noted that my county FA require a written exam to be undertaken aswell as the 20 games. Is this common practice and would the exam be similar to the LOTG exam taken when training?

Yep - normally done at a training day, where you get some good practical advice and coaching. Was very similar to the LOTG exam.

Yeah, don't panic about the use of the word "written". It'll be multi-choice, same as your initial LOTG exam, just a tiny bit harder to reflect the experience you should now have.

Yeah, don't panic about the use of the word "written". It'll be multi-choice, same as your initial LOTG exam, just a tiny bit harder to reflect the experience you should now have.

It would be more fun if all 7-6 candidates had to write a 1000 word essay on "what sanctions you should take if a player swears on the FOP" :)

It would be more fun if all 7-6 candidates had to write a 1000 word essay on "what sanctions you should take if a player swears on the FOP" :)

Ah, but I suspect the instant reaction from the 7-6 candidates would be: “F*** Off”.

Just reading back through this thread and it reminded me that I was assessed on my very first TWO open age games, one weekend after the next.

It was a bit daunting at the time, but why wouldn't you want as much expert guidance as possible as soon as possible? I got some great advice from people I really respect and who have continued to give me pointers as I've progressed.

Back