A&H

Advantage red card

half-way line is usually pretty appropriate....not that it has to be there

i'd like to think that i'd get a big thumbs up from an assessor for that, level 4 or level 7

opinions, hey ;)

The Referee Store
Massively opinions, of course! Mine is that match control would be out the window if doing what you suggested. Guess it's why we love refereeing!

these are the kind of threads that have the potential to make us all better referees - if only because they can show us , teach us or remind us that there is often more than one possible solution to any individual problem

half-way line is usually pretty appropriate....not that it has to be there

i'd like to think that i'd get a big thumbs up from an assessor for that, level 4 or level 7

opinions, hey ;)

Just so I understand, would you just blow up for no infringement and issue the yellow and red? If so how would you restart the match?

I agree with what's been said. However, I was thinking more of some of the technical offences that require a second yellow for this scenario. For instance, a player on a caution shouts at an opponent in an obvious to everyone attempt to distract which fails and a promising attack moves on up the field. Or how about something even more bizarre. A player is making an unauthorised mark on the pitch while his opponents run off with the ball down field

Do you still stop the game to issues the second caution?

I agree with what's been said. However, I was thinking more of some of the technical offences that require a second yellow for this scenario. For instance, a player on a caution shouts at an opponent in an obvious to everyone attempt to distract which fails and a promising attack moves on up the field. Or how about something even more bizarre. A player is making an unauthorised mark on the pitch while his opponents run off with the ball down field

Do you still stop the game to issues the second caution?

every time, according to some, tho' to be fair they were probably thinking of it more in terms of reckless challenges on the player with the ball.

it never pays to be adamant about anything where refereeing is concerned....note my use of 'on paper ' and 'appropriate' and padfoot's use of 'generally'. People could learn a lot from me and Padders ;)

Last edited:
I have to disagree with you here @haywain, IMO you can't play advantage and when the attacking team mess up the advantage then stop play, send the player off and restart with a dropped ball. I see how you could interpret it as this from the LOTG but no way would you get away with it in a match, I would expect an assessor to mark you down for it too? But that's just my opinion :)

Going back to the original question, unless it's a tap-in, stop the game, issue the caution, dismiss the player. No deduction from advantage for this action but as Lincs has said you could endanger Match Control

I have to agree I would be very skeptical on not stopping the game, I can't think of a team that would get upset if you sent a player off and awarded them a free kick!

Back