A&H

Arse New

If we look at it technically there is no direct free kick offence listed as pull, or pulling, in the LOTG.

Pulling gets two mentions, once for SPA and once for DOGSO, both times as actions that result in a sanction that can't be downgraded for those offences.

So when we see a player 'pulling' this is actually a holding offence, and as we know from the definition of holding, a holding offence only occurs where
contact with an opponent’s body
or equipment impedes the opponent’s movement.

I think the fix for this would be to list pulling as an offence, separate to holding, as football clearly expects pulling of a players equipment to be punished, but often the way the laws are written means that although the opponent is holding (insert pulling) the players equipment there movement is not impeded and thus no offence is being committed.
If The pulling has any affect, then it impedes the movement of the opponent and is holding. Why would we want a pulling offense that applies when there is no impact on the opponent?

i don’t think the problem with “pulling” is that it isn’t a separate offense, not that the “misses” don’t involve impeding the movement of the opponent. I think the issue is that referees sometimes want too much impeding of the opponents motion before they call it.

The Referee Store
WRT VAR, everyone moaning about bar too low or too high. Ultimately this is a problem with VAR that can't realistically be fixed
Personally, I'd much much prefer a high bar and hopefully once everyone gets used to that approach, VAR will be miles better than it has been because the onus will be back on the Ref to do his job more effectively and forensics can be left to offside only
the bar will never be perfect--no more than any referees bar on where a foul occurs is perfect. But I do think it can get more consistent. As best I can tell, the PL is one of the least consistent leagues is terms of where the line is for VAR intervention.

think the issue is that referees sometimes want too much impeding of the opponents motion before they call it.

Yes, this. There's absolutely no question that the shirt pulls we are discussing impeded the opponent. Apparently they're not impeding them enough.

the bar will never be perfect--no more than any referees bar on where a foul occurs is perfect. But I do think it can get more consistent. As best I can tell, the PL is one of the least consistent leagues is terms of where the line is for VAR intervention.
Yes, because Mike Riley changed his mind every other week. Very much doubt that Webb will be like that, and I think (or rather hope) the only referrals will be for incidents where every referee looks at in says yes, a very obvious error was made there.

Again, I struggle to see your point. First, you twisted my words twice. Now, you seem to agree with me that shirt pulling in the penalty area is a penalty but you're making a big thing out of the fact that the referee "missed it", as if it was a mitigation. Yes, he missed a foul in a penalty area, and therefore I called it poor officiating as it had an impact on the result of the game.

Besides, the shirt pulling is happening right in front of goal at a corner kick so I think there is close to zero excuse for the referee to miss it. I think this was poor officiating.
We've had complaints (again) about fan posting, so I'll make this polite but to the point. You only seem to wake up when a decision goes against Arsenal, or is perceived to go against them, and I reiterate what I've said many times before, and is stated in the pinned post, if you want to moan about a refereeing decision as a fan there are countless fan's forums for you to use, this is not the correct forum.

I haven't twisted any words, you say it should have been a penalty for holding, I said that perhaps the referee didn't see it. There are no twisted words there at all. It might have happened close to him but you have absolutely no idea what particular part of the penalty area he was looking at when it happened. If you have never missed holding at a corner then I look forward to seeing you in the Premier League as you clearly must be a world class referee.

In addition, we've seen this season that a lot more holding is allowed to go unchecked. At one point they had hold of each other, so perhaps the referee did see it but decided it wasn't enough for a penalty. What is abundantly clear is it was nowhere near enough of a mistake, if it indeed was a mistake, for VAR to get involved.

We've had complaints (again) about fan posting, so I'll make this polite but to the point. You only seem to wake up when a decision goes against Arsenal, or is perceived to go against them
I was quite baffled by this so I looked up my comment history. I did make two comments when decisions went against Arsenal but I also defended:
1. Arsenal having a goal disallowed for an offside against Brighton last season (massive controversy as there was no clear camera angle showing whether he was offside or not).
2. Arsenal having a penalty cancelled after a var review in the west ham game.
3. I called Arsenal "lucky" when Wolves had a goal disallowed for a wrong offside decision.

I also made comments on refereeing decisions in some other PL games not involving Arsenal and on World Cup games.
In the light of the above can you please withdraw your comment?
Thank you.

Back