A&H

Arsenal v Leicester

The Referee Store
That was the best use of VAR I have seen this season... and the screen was used! Think it was a red but see why yellow was given originally. Finally a good use of VAR!

Only criticism is how it took VAR so long to recommend a review, it was pretty obvious. Chris Kavanagh looked for about 5 seconds and decided it was a red, VAR perhaps needed a bit longer but not two minutes.

Red card.
Onside.

Suprised to see so many people on social media saying that both were wrong.

That's as red a red card as I've seen in a while. Only issue for me is I think that should have been dealt with much quicker!

Offside was obviously much more complex, but happy with the decision. Again, think this would have benefitted from communication along the lines of "We can't tell about any contact, so onfield decision stands"

Alot of people including Arteta saying Vardy should have been sent off? Not for me that one

Great use of VAR for red card only ting it took very long to come up with decision,
Offisde call was bit more difficult but satisfied with the call.. I think the players knew it was red as soon as the ref went to the screen

Alot of people including Arteta saying Vardy should have been sent off? Not for me that one
Difficult one. Vardy clearly slipped so would be harsh to call that SFP but then the conversations start about whether it’s intentional and VC. We’ll never know the answer to that unfortunately

not a red for me, catches him accidentally while he's off balance and falling. no offence, just unlucky

not a red for me, catches him accidentally while he's off balance and falling. no offence, just unlucky

Correct me if I'm wrong but does it not matter if he meant it or not?

Off the top of my head wasn't Ander Herrera sent off for two footing someone despite him very clearly slipping.

Off the top of my head wasn't Ander Herrera sent off for two footing someone despite him very clearly slipping.
I think we have to draw a distinction between "a deliberate action that doesn't quite go as planned and has unintended consequences" and "a completely unintended action".

Herrera was attempting a tackle and because of the fact he was off balance/over stretching, ended up making a nasty contact.
Vardy here is literally just falling over and happens to get very unlucky and catch the opponent.

I'm far from his biggest fan and will happily accept that on his day he can be a nasty piece of work, but there's nothing in this - stop play for the head injury and restart with a DB, or call it a careless foul and give the FK. No need for any more.

I think we have to draw a distinction between "a deliberate action that doesn't quite go as planned and has unintended consequences" and "a completely unintended action".

Herrera was attempting a tackle and because of the fact he was off balance/over stretching, ended up making a nasty contact.
Vardy here is literally just falling over and happens to get very unlucky and catch the opponent.

I'm far from his biggest fan and will happily accept that on his day he can be a nasty piece of work, but there's nothing in this - stop play for the head injury and restart with a DB, or call it a careless foul and give the FK. No need for any more.

Surely a natural movement is he falls on his face / belly with legs flat instead of doing a roundhouse kick?

Last edited:
Surely a natural movement is he falls on his face / belly with legs flag instead of doing a roundhouse kick?
We're into the realm of complete subjectivity here. I cannot see anything I'd remotely describe as a "roundhouse kick" there - if you think you can, then you're obviously right to send him off.

Last edited:
We're into the real of complete subjectivity here. I cannot see anything I'd remotely describe as a "roundhouse kick" there - if you think you can, then you're obviously right to send him off.

Fair enough. Agree to disagree.

Can see where you’re coming from, but it would be harsh to punish a boot to the face when the face is at shin level and the other player has slipped and is falling away from them, not even looking at them. I agree that SFP can be an accident, but had he not slipped it simply wouldn’t have happened. It’s different from a player losing their footing when already going in for a tackle

i see where you are coming from and i was careful not to say anything about intent!

i think if you start sending of for this then you set a dangerous precedent where the outcome dictates the punishment. the need for punishment should be based on what vardy had control over and the challenge for the ball was completely fair and safe. you cant be held accountable for your actions when you're off balance and falling over

Back