A&H

Arsenal vs Tottenham

The Referee Store
I must admit, not fan of the latitude being given to subs, who seem to be stationery while "warming up", which consists of standing still, while watching the game.

Some idiot will be getting a knock at the door for his attempted kick at Ramsdale after full time and I suspect the clubs will be asked for their observations as a minimum.

I must admit, not fan of the latitude being given to subs, who seem to be stationery while "warming up", which consists of standing still, while watching the game.
Glad it's not just me that was irked by this. At one point the subs seemed to cause issues with a ball in / out of play call and then one decided to run on to the pitch to gather the ball for a team mate.

I thought Partey's handball was a caution.

The Spurs sub running onto the pitch to get the ball to a team mate quicker was a really obvious caution,

Other than that Pawson and his team were spot on I thought.
Spot on.

Isn’t deliberate handball a straight caution? Red card if in the box?
I may be wrong in this.

Yeah you are. A reread of Law 12 seems to be in order.
Yes same as foul. Only if it’s denying a promising attack.
I haven’t rewatched the handball, but I don’t recall it being a promising attack. I guess that’s quite subjective too.

While rereading the laws due to various questions on the forum, I was reminded of many things which I guess why it’s important to keep rereading the laws.

The one I really liked reading about was denying a clear goal scoring opportunity. Outside the box, it’s a red card. Inside the box it’s a yellow and a penalty, but only if it’s an attempt for the ball. A pull back or handball is still a red card and a penalty.

That’s me refreshed. ;)

OK, I'm in my observer debrief mode, talk me through why you thought it should have been a caution. Not saying you are wrong, just interested in the thought process.

I can't remember. I was watching as a (very nervous) Arsenal fan rather than as a referee and I was convinced he was getting a caution. I must have thought he was deliberately cutting out a pass (ie. SPA) but I don't remember the incident well enough to describe my thought process at the time.

I genuinely had a heart in mouth moment right before halftime when it looks like he might have given a penalty. (I'm not sure if the ball was still in play, but it did look like a foul to me.)

I attempted to address this in possibly the biggest game I ever refereed and later regretted it. It escalated to something much bigger I had to manage for something seeming so small to start with. Would have done it much different had I had my time again.

Yes same as foul. Only if it’s denying a promising attack.
I haven’t rewatched the handball, but I don’t recall it being a promising attack. I guess that’s quite subjective too.

While rereading the laws due to various questions on the forum, I was reminded of many things which I guess why it’s important to keep rereading the laws.

The one I really liked reading about was denying a clear goal scoring opportunity. Outside the box, it’s a red card. Inside the box it’s a yellow and a penalty, but only if it’s an attempt for the ball. A pull back or handball is still a red card and a penalty.

That’s me refreshed. ;)
I had this with the same law in another thread and I only qualified after it was changed! oops...

I can't remember. I was watching as a (very nervous) Arsenal fan rather than as a referee and I was convinced he was getting a caution. I must have thought he was deliberately cutting out a pass (ie. SPA) but I don't remember the incident well enough to describe my thought process at the time.

I genuinely had a heart in mouth moment right before halftime when it looks like he might have given a penalty. (I'm not sure if the ball was still in play, but it did look like a foul to me.)

Partey definitely handled it, but it would have been a push to describe it as SPA.

True, but please bear in mind that it's only when it's denial of a goal, or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, that it's a red card for a handling offence. Your earlier post indicated that you thought any deliberate handball in the penalty area was a red card.

True, but please bear in mind that it's only when it's denial of a goal, or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, that it's a red card for a handling offence. Your earlier post indicated that you thought any deliberate handball in the penalty area was a red card.
I corrected myself for bad wording.
Although from experience, most deliberate hand balls in the box are to deny a clear goal scoring opportunity. ;)

I’m sure it used to be that deliberate handball was a straight yellow.

Back