A&H

assistant ref dissent v ref dissent

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
At an EFL game tonight and the assistant referee is given a 30 second rant about a non-given foul and the ref did nothing. Same thing happened with a different player and no action. On the second one the game went on with the player shadowing the assistant while shouting and gesturing.

Referee is given dissent and the card is out instantly twice in two minutes.

Seems morally wrong and is totally inconsistent.

The Referee Store
Except we don’t know what words were used. There are certainly words that will get the yellow out faster (and that perhaps at the levels most of us do would result in a red. . . )

Without seeing it, it’s hard to imagine how tracking the AR to complain - while ball is in play - is not at least dissent by action…

At an EFL game tonight and the assistant referee is given a 30 second rant about a non-given foul and the ref did nothing. Same thing happened with a different player and no action. On the second one the game went on with the player shadowing the assistant while shouting and gesturing.

Referee is given dissent and the card is out instantly twice in two minutes.

Seems morally wrong and is totally inconsistent.
Said it before, concentrate on your own game and forget what you see at senior levels. You seem to get a real bee in your bonnet about it, but refereeing in the professional game is totally different to refereeing at grass roots.

I am merely observing that what happened was inconsistent and the ref failed to intervene.

When I used to has appointed assistants I would never let them be abused or harassed.

Just because it's efl doesn't mean it's OK.

I am merely observing that what happened was inconsistent and the ref failed to intervene.

When I used to has appointed assistants I would never let them be abused or harassed.

Agree but if the AR was really unhappy with what was said then he can tell the referee by the little mic he wears.
You seem to be pinning this on the ref when in fact it might not been the refs issue. Ref unlikely to hear what is said over crowd noise (was always skeptical about this but having now lines in front of 000's I can understand it) so it needs the AR to have some input.
There's always going to be a difference in tolerance, harder to get right a balance with no Comms but with Comms, it's easy for AR to say not happy with the dissent.

I’d guess that most professional ARs don’t want to call the R over to give a card u less they absolutely have to. And most professional Rs aren’t going to intervene unless asked-the AR is also a professional and doesn’t need protection the same way that applies in the games most of us do.

When I have more junior (or especially youth) ARs, I‘m going to intervene very quickly and the card is going to come out far faster than dissent to me. When my ARs are peers or more experience than I am, I tell them it’s up to them—manage what they can, and if a card is needed just tell me and it’s being given, no questions asked.

As an aside, I was doing a youyh game with another experienced ref who missed significant coach dissent behind him. I called him over, said the coach needed a card, he gave it, and did’t even ask what for until after the game. A parent filed a complaint with the league that the R carded without talking to me about what it was for. 🙄 The parent was informed that was standard pracgi e with experienced refs.

You are comparing apples with pears. If the AR is annoyed about the comments all he has to do is say so into the comms and the player will be cautioned. Completely different to grass roots where you would be reliant on the AR raising his flag and calling you over, assuming you hadn't heard it yourself.

Plus you are assuming he or the referee even heard the comments. I've been on the line in front of big crowds and you really cannot hear anything. And not just big crowds, I've done a lot of lines at Wealdstone going back to when they were in the Isthmian League, as AR1 they are right behind you and you literally cannot hear a thing. That's probably only a couple of hundred people behind you, so imagine what an EFL game is like.

Agree but if the AR was really unhappy with what was said then he can tell the referee by the little mic he wears.
You seem to be pinning this on the ref when in fact it might not been the refs issue. Ref unlikely to hear what is said over crowd noise (was always skeptical about this but having now lines in front of 000's I can understand it) so it needs the AR to have some input.
There's always going to be a difference in tolerance, harder to get right a balance with no Comms but with Comms, it's easy for AR to say not happy with the dissent.
On the first incident the asst ref may have failed to notify the ref i agree.

But the second one he spent shouting and following the asst ref while the game went on (he wanted a foul that was not given). this was obvious and as the ref was within @20 yards at the time he must have seen this go on.

As to you rusty i think these elite referees getting paid handsomely need to react to dissent by actions and \ or words consistently. i know how to deal with dissent so this nonsense about "worry about your game" is irrelevant but sadly par for the course.

Credit to the ref for dishing out two yellows in 2 minutes for dissent but i also feel asst refs are asking for action less and less and i wonder if this is connected to fear of reduced marks or maybe asst refs are being told to only flag for offinabus but let dissent go.

I cannot remember seeing an asst asking for a disent yellow at my club for over 5 years. thats over 130 games and i go to all home games.

Wishing all on here a happy 2024!

Back