A&H

At what age group should you introduce cards

Xavier

Hi.
I'm a new referee. I was refereeing a u11 game of football becoaae of transport issues one team had TO start with a player less. Once the extra player arrived he entered the field without me knowing. I know normally this would be a yellow card but would I still give a 11 year old the card. Same with fouls would you give a 11 year old a yellow card for a reckless foul or would you just have a word.
Thanks

The Referee Store
I'm absolutely no expert on this from a refereeing pov, but I have worked with young people for over 25 years.

I would hope that the answer is genuinely 'no'. What a way to break a young players morale as they rush, stressed, into a football pitch to be greeted with a caution.

My view, as an educator rather than as an 'official', is that this is best handled as a learning experience. Either a conversation at the next break in play or at half time when his adrenaline has subsided.

Hi.
I'm a new referee. I was refereeing a u11 game of football becoaae of transport issues one team had TO start with a player less. Once the extra player arrived he entered the field without me knowing. I know normally this would be a yellow card but would I still give a 11 year old the card. Same with fouls would you give a 11 year old a yellow card for a reckless foul or would you just have a word.
Thanks

This heinous crime poses no threat to your match control, nor endangers the opponents, and, providing he never ran on to boot the goal bound effort off the line or ran on to score at the other end, this situation is entirely managable.
Either ignore it completely
Or say to coach in passing or ht, ' next time give the ref a shout when the player is ready to enter the pitch"

of course I was not there but I doubt you had a snarling sideline mob baying for blood because a ten year old stepped onto a football pitch

Cards for youth players is a question that comes up regularly and that generally causes a lot of debate (which I won't kick off again), but in your two scenarios above:
- Player entering the FOP without permission - no way I'd be cautioning for it at that age. As @Anubis says above, it poses no threat to your match control and is very easily dealt with by a quick word to the coach at HT asking him/her to let you know next time.
- Reckless challenge - 99.9% of challenges at U11 will fall into the careless bracket. If it's a genuinely reckless challenge I'd be inclined to caution as I would normally, but in reality that's very unlikely to be the case.

If they are old enough to do the things 'normally' you give a card for, they are old enough to receive a card.
Age shouldn't be a question on if you should give a card to the chap/gal. It should be question on if it was a card able offence. Hope this make sense. Just like many other things to consider age is one more to add to the context.

Take the OP example and change it open age. Would you give a card? Many would say yes. Now I would add, the player's team have been playing with 8 happily against 11 since the start. Game being played in good spirit and no cards so far. Player came in without permission in the 80th minute while behind 8-0. Card? I think not.

Same OP and U11, but player comes in from the goal line unnoticed and scored what would be the winning goal with his first touch in a cup final. Would that change anyone's mind?

It's more about context here rather than age.

I do a lot of youth football, largely because I find it far nicer environment to be part of in the early stages of my refereeing career... and I'm approaching 30!

As mentioned multiple times above, the player coming on poses no risk to the match control. A quick word with the coach and job done.

With the reckless challenges... again, the vast majority will be careless. If someone looks like their pushing the boundaries or similar, a word with the player and coach will often be enough.

On the flip side... I did show a red in an u9s match recently. Striker beat the defend, tapped in the goal. Defender hopped up and punched/slapped the striker in the face. Was it a temper tantrum from an 8 year old... yes. Was it definitely still violent conduct... yes.

Agree with the above, educate where you can. Don’t be carding an 11 year old because “the LOTG says so” when it’s a rule that the 11 year old probably isn’t even aware of. The fact it’s usually rolling subs may have been the reason he just came on, or the coach just said “quick go play as a defender”. I usually take a similar approach with foul throws at that age, explain why it was a foul throw, and let them try again. Don’t turn it over and not explain why. End of the day they’re 11, and it’s not the World Cup. It’s got to be more about enabling a controlled and fair game where they can develop as players.

On the other hand however, i was certainly suprised how early on some children learn the phrase “**** OFF REF” and of course, that deserves proportionate punishment. I think at the younger ages it’s important to sanction where it’s deliberate and they know what they’ve done is wrong, and be more willing to educate where there’s an unknowing / accidental mistake. Most fouls at that age aren’t deliberate, it’s just a lack of co-ordination and skill. On the whole totally agree, usually a nicer environment and a lot less ground to cover!! :)

From my experience in this I wouldn’t issue a card well saying that to about under 13/14. In fact I would also have a word with the player at first instance then maybe ask coach to replace the player if required. But for abusive language ( like I got from my son once ) ask coach to replace him. It’s youth football all about learning not Penalising the team

But for abusive language
I think At U13/U14 it might vary (for me) with what's said, who hears etc etc.

However, at U14 (year 9 in UK schools) players know what's okay and what is not... especially when it comes to abusive language. Granted there may be some grey arrears but clear cut abusive language should be treated as such at U14 in my opinion.

The other players will expect it, coaches should expect it and parents will expect it.

From my experience in this I wouldn’t issue a card well saying that to about under 13/14. In fact I would also have a word with the player at first instance then maybe ask coach to replace the player if required. But for abusive language ( like I got from my son once ) ask coach to replace him. It’s youth football all about learning not Penalising the team

your learning method entails teaching a player he can be abusive to you and simply be subbed
Leaving him thinking thats the correct sanction for being abusive to the referee

By not issuing the red, you are doing every other referee a disservice, but mostly, yourself. Turning up, in pouring rain/freezing cold, maybe 4th game of weekend, to enable the kids to have a match official, to be verbally abused by a 13yo?

thats not teaching, thats weak, and causing grief for next weeks referee who does carry out their duties correctly.

traching equals, this is your offence, and, this is the required action for said offemce.
to fabricate your own form of justice is teaching them a fake reality

how can we crave respect when we portray none for our ones self

Surely its all about teaching the younger player what will, and what won't be accepted on the FoP

Two scenarios from today...
1) My game U14s... started getting a bit more physical early second half. Red player loses the ball near his defensive corner flag, gives the blue player a bit of a "shoulder/shove". Easy FK. Call player over, 'there was no foul from blue on you'... 'I know'. 'You've then shoved him off the ball'... 'I know *smirks*.' 'Anymore and there's a card in my pocket'... 'sorry ref'. Didn't hear from him again.

2) U14s or U15s in a game I sat watching whilst eating lunch... Blue left back questioned every throw, decision and probably what the ref had for breakfast. Each time it got more over dramatic, "dissenty" and "sweary". Ref continued to ignore it/not challenge. Oddly enough when the ref awarded a stonewall penalty said left back was shouting and screaming, ended up being dragged away by his captain and eventually subbed. That'll be a fun one for next week's ref!

We have a role as an educator... sometimes that education is in what happens when you're a naughty boy/girl.

Well done on your point 1. The only thing I would change is what you told him which would kind of back you into a corner. You may not want to give him a card on the next one which would be expected by all who had heard what you told him. I would change it to "one more and I won't be so kind" or something more generic.

Well done on your point 1. The only thing I would change is what you told him which would kind of back you into a corner. You may not want to give him a card on the next one which would be expected by all who had heard what you told him. I would change it to "one more and I won't be so kind" or something more generic.
I think I actually said: "anymore and there's a card in my pocket if I need it".

I guess the last bit changes the message a fair bit! (Proof read your posts kids). Point taken!

I have an extra pair of cards in my right shirt pocket. It's where I write quick notes to myself compared to the cards in pockets or my left shirt pocket.

If I want to warn, I pull out my right side book. The yellow card is right there, in the slot, but I'm just making note of the warning. I agree with the, 'There's a card if we have a next time.'

I just like it as the yellow edge is visible...

Not a fan of the “next time and I’ll do this” mind games. Don’t back yourself into a corner

Not a fan of the “next time and I’ll do this” mind games. Don’t back yourself into a corner
Agreed. For my game report, sometimes I have to note and confirm I warned prior to calling an infringement.

Example: the keeper is holding the ball beyond the 6 seconds. Why is a warning required but I've seen it as an issue in the highest levels of play?

I remember the women's game's keeper called for delay of game of the 6 second rule and it was the ref that got slammed. Questions of any prior warning were raised like that's in the law.

I remember the women's game's keeper called for delay of game of the 6 second rule and it was the ref that got slammed. Questions of any prior warning were raised like that's in the law.
in that case (which is the only professional 6 seconds call ever that I know of) warnings had been given to the GK

but I do it think you can compare 6 seconds to anything else in the game. It has a unique role in being ignored. (I guess the closest parallel I can think of is how GK infringements on PKs used to be routinely ignored--but even those would get called when they were extreme enough.)

Back