A&H

Bad weekend

Ciley Myrus

RefChat Addict
Time of year?
Time of month for me?

Saturdays bounce game was ok but away team only laid off my back cos it was a friendly
Sunday am. U13, abandoned 26 mins when a parents ran on to threaten with "i will smash your f ing lights out you f_ing *****
Sunday pm, good end to end Ams until 80 mins, no pk call to home team, striker then picked up ball, booted it away, along with "you f ing idiot referee"
I took my time, decided I had to, binned, then his team lost 2 goals from 1 up to lose 2-1

Still, we move on!

The Referee Store
It sounds like you had a pretty trying time this weekend. Having to abandon an U13 game is ridiculous, but totally right. No way you can recover that.

U13s abandonment. I have a step son who plays rugby at a similar age group and although I don't get to many of his matches because of refereeing, the chances of there being an abandonment or parent trouble are negligible. The kids are just allowed to play. I don't do much kids football but when I do it seems alot better behaved than it was 20 years ago when I was playing junior football but perhaps I've just got lucky. I hope that particular parent is banned by the club from attending any further matches

My first 2-3 years were with 12s to 16s, I’d forgot how ****ty the parents could be. The games from recollection were pretty easy but a great grounding for 8 years at the coal face of the ar5e end of OA....

Pray tell what was the momentous decision that sparked this - a throw in?

Nearly, a total innocent run of the mill trip at the half way line. Not a single issue on the park, guy at side came away with "oh come on ref", I made the mistake of looking across, just out of sheer curiosity, nothing to see, and as I moved away from the ball I heard shout of "dad, no" from somewhere (not the guys involved in the foul) and seen him coming onto the park, I stood where I was, stared right at him and said "stop right there, there are kids here" and that was that

Time of year?
Time of month for me?

Saturdays bounce game was ok but away team only laid off my back cos it was a friendly
Sunday am. U13, abandoned 26 mins when a parents ran on to threaten with "i will smash your f ing lights out you f_ing *****
Sunday pm, good end to end Ams until 80 mins, no pk call to home team, striker then picked up ball, booted it away, along with "you f ing idiot referee"
I took my time, decided I had to, binned, then his team lost 2 goals from 1 up to lose 2-1

Still, we move on!

Harsh.

I have to say (and I've posted this before on a thread last season) I don't do many youth games. Maybe 5-10 a season, ranging from U14 to U18 but the attitude and behaviour of the players and parents/spectators - particularly at U14 level has been outstanding. No dissent, no moaning or berating the referee (except the odd sarcastic comment from a losing coach after the match perhaps) but it astounds me to be reading some of the horror stories that I do on here from you guys. :eek: :wtf:

Am I just lucky being in Somerset or are you lot just operating in youth leagues from Hell? :confused:

I have to say (and I've posted this before on a thread last season) I don't do many youth games. Maybe 5-10 a season, ranging from U14 to U18 but the attitude and behaviour of the players and parents/spectators - particularly at U14 level has been outstanding. No dissent, no moaning or berating the referee (except the odd sarcastic comment from a losing coach after the match perhaps) but it astounds me to be reading some of the horror stories that I do on here from you guys. :eek::wtf:

Am I just lucky being in Somerset or are you lot just operating in youth leagues from Hell? :confused:

I officiate in the region of 120-110 games per season. I think am doing ok to get 1 per season where it all goes radio rentals!!

Yeah well I was talking about youth games.

Besides, I think any U13 level match that ends the way yours did is a once in a blue moon event anyway.

I probably do about 35 - 40 youth games a season as an un-appointed club referee, and I have never had any real issues with discipline, either on or off the field. But I am 6'5" and built like a small house! I am also the most mobile person on the field, so am generally in a good position to give a decision. Even if it's not the right one it's usually credible because of my position. I know others have had problems on the same leagues and with the same teams I do.
I do two local clubs on alternate weeks. One of these had an U12 game a couple of weeks ago that kicked off big time on the week I wasn't doing their club. There were apparently parents from one team threatening the other set, and the CAR from that team swearing at the Referee.

I am available when they play each other again in the new year! We'll see if there is really a problem.

Back