A&H

Ball out of play?

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Been having a discussion on another forum about a ball being out of play.

I'm the only one that seems to think the ball is IN play, and a couple of referees on my facebook page suggest the ball is in play too. I've tried to tell them that the whole ball has to fully over the line for it to be out of play.

What is your opinion guys? The 'incident' is around 8 secs in..

dallas.jpg

The Referee Store
Not the best angle, but it's clearly possible that the ball didn't entirely crossed the line and as the lino is ideally positioned, we should trust his judgement

Any referee who doesn't know that the ball needs to wholly be out of play needs to stop refereeing until they actually read the book.

Having said that, I think a lot of referees take the 'easy' option when the ball is 90% or so out. Only taking a guess there at how absolutely ballistic players go when the ball is 95% out, I'm on the line and I say it's still in....

Anyway, ball looks in to me. People don't forget you can see 'grass' between the ball and the line and the ball can still be in.

Yup, agree with all the comments above. Perfect example of the situation where vast majority of spectators and players will think the ball is out but looks like it's overhanging the line to me. And would never second guess the perfectly placed Assistant in any case :)

I had this very situation which lead to a goal this weekend, I had NARs so I fully followed and backed my assistant.
Some players were not very happy, so I explained calmly why the AR was the only person we should trust on this, even when the ball "seems to be off" and they understood my point

Difficult to see at those angles, but AR perfectly positioned i as the referee would have gone with his call....

Back