A&H

Basketball - Replaying final 0.3 seconds

The Referee Store
I don't know a lot about Basketball, but 'a bit pointless' seems to be the understatement of the century.

Especially as the disputed points still stand, I can't comprehend why 0.3 seconds should be replayed.

i may be wrong, but doesn't the clock start when the receiver touches the ball, rather than the initial thrower (from a restart like this). if so, you'd have just enough time to catch and release the ball and potentially score in that time.

i may be wrong, but doesn't the clock start when the receiver touches the ball, rather than the initial thrower (from a restart like this). if so, you'd have just enough time to catch and release the ball and potentially score in that time.
Not sure about the rule set, but in the US basketball rule sets define how many tenths must be left to catch and shoot. Below that, only a tap is permitted. Even with .1 on the clock, the ball can be thrown to someone who can try to tap it into the basket. (I can’t remember if the requirement is .3 or .4 to catch and shoot, or if it varies by rule set.)

Beyond pointless in my opinion. Portlaoise have now released a statement saying they won't do it anyway.

I suspect the governing body were doing it to prove a point. It was discussed on the radio today and an expert on Irish basketball said Portlaoise frequently appeal on technicalities when they lose, so they thought they'd send them over 100km to play 0.3 seconds.

I suspect the governing body were doing it to prove a point. It was discussed on the radio today and an expert on Irish basketball said Portlaoise frequently appeal on technicalities when they lose, so they thought they'd send them over 100km to play 0.3 seconds.
That is very true. The Irish (myself included as a 2nd gen heritage point) always moan when we lose 🤣.

Back