A&H

Being assessed during promotion

Robin

Level 7 Referee
I went to my in service workshop for promotion today and thoroughly enjoyed it, also a bonus to pass the laws of the game exam (I hate exams).

You pick up so much from practices we do and also from other referees so its really good anyway.

I am going to be assessed very soon and not really sure what to expect as this is my first time being promoted and being assessed.

Do I become stricter or do I just referee like I normally do and just apply the laws of the game?

Not really sure how to approach it really...

Any tips and advice would be great.

The Referee Store
Don't throw away simple marks. Pitch and equipment inspections. And all technical mandatory offences get the yellow card they warrant.

Aside from that just Relax, plenty of enthusiasm and do your normal thing. It's just another game. Big smile and enjoy it.

Simple points:
- Pre match instructions to CAR (if they can give more than in/out)
- players equipment checked
- pro-active communicate with players
- do substitutions properly - go to halfway line check them on
- when applying advantage use correct signals - in fact poor signals is an easy spot for the assessors
- positioning - move around the FOP and change positions at corners.

When giving instructions to CAR's, brief both together.

More important than the signal with the advantage is the voice, "Play on, advantage". As one said to me last year, not everyone will see the signal, but they will hear the voice. Make sure you have a word with either fouler or fouled at any chance you get. Looks good, and makes sure they're aware as well.

For a 7-6 promotion I wouldn't encourage you to do much different to your normal game. You then know where your strengths & weaknesses lie, giving you the chance the improve upon them before the next assessor.

Oh, and referee with a smile! Look like you're enjoying the game.

Be calm, relaxed, and dont forget the little things.

There should be an assessment criteria available from your RDO/RO, so maybe see if you can have a look at that for some more specific guidance.

One thing assessors really like from my experience is communication, so make sure you talk A LOT, use hand signals correctly and firmly, and look confident.

Good luck!

first assessment last saturday

during kit check i let both teams know that i was being assessed and that they shouldn't therefore be surprised if i refereed quite strictly (in terms of the lotg)

after the game, the assessor's first comment was, 'you won't get a much easier game than that to referee'

did i just get lucky or did my heads up have the required effect?

assessor said that when doing stud check, make sure that you look at the studs, i.e. exaggerate the looking.

Bizarrely you could do with the game being a challenge so you get to demonstrate your skills! Also makes it a damn sight more interesting to referee.

Good job though. Let us know how the report goes when you get it back

i did manage to send the goalkeeper off for a dogso. even that was too easy for words as he wrapped his arms around a striker 6 yards out in a one on one situation after the striker had gone past him.

i also booked the away team captain for dissent in the last couple of minutes. 'you put the your whistle to your mouth, ref' once from ten yards away was irritating enough, even if it was true. a second time, with increased volume, was more than plenty. when i told him i was cautioning him for dissent, he said 'what part of that was dissent'. i pointed out that it's my choice whether i blow the whistle or not. i also pointed out that he was doing it again even as i was booking him. two minutes later, after the final whistle he was still big enough to shake hands.

'amusing' moment involving the same player in the first half. he was challenging for a ball which went out for a throw in. I gave the throw to his team. he was moving towards me shaking his head, in a nice way, and said that it wasn't. throw in hadn't been taken so i switched the direction. cue player having a little moan, 'so you're punishing me for being honest'. well it made me smile

assessor did give me some constructive criticism post game and said to expect his report later this week

interestingly he said that assessors had been 'discouraged' from talking with refs at half time as feedback from teams was that referees refereed 'differently' in the second half. will only chat at half-time if referee approaches them for feedback

personally i'd also much prefer to know my mark for my assessment - just to give me an idea of where i'm at, though i can understand why they might be reluctant to risk disappointing some referees with low marks. i think that the decision to know oor not to know the mark should lie with the person being assessed

the whistle twitch! I did that twice on saturday and both times someone said "you were going to blow then ref!"

Did you hear a whilsting sound?

"no"

You play to the sound of the whistle, not me moving the whistle, get on with it!

I hate the whistle twich, but sometimes you anticipate a foul which doesn't happen and by that time it is too late, the journey towards your mouth has begun!

Back