A&H

Best Ground and Biggest Crowd You've Refereed?

Justylove

RefChat Addict
Just wondering what the best ground you've refereed at is and what the biggest crowd you've ever had at one if your games.

For me the best ground was St Mary's Stadium home of Premier League Southampton and it was in front of just over 1200 people.

The Referee Store
Biggest crowd was in Cascais for Real Madrid U15s. It was semi-final equivalent and probably nudging a thousand.

Best ground... hmm... well I've been in a band at the Olympic Stadium here and that was nuts (about 25000 kids)... but I think you mean refereeing... so it has to be HJK's stadium here - was Finnair then Telia and now named The Bolt Arena. 10000 capacity but probably 150 is the most for a game I've worked on there. And I think most of them were on a corporate day out using the sauna!

The two best grounds for me have been Stebonheath Park and the Bridge Meadow.

The Stebo in Llanelli is always in good nick when I've been assigned there, I never went there until last season, it just has a certain charm about it that makes me like it.

Bridge Meadow is down in Haverfordwest, and I actually got to play on it as well as referee on it. It is one of those stadiums where you can really build up an atmosphere even with the number of people attending. Cup final nights are great there because the locals turn up for them and it's brilliant.

Crowd numbers I couldn't say with any reliability, but it's something I might be able to look into more from next season as with COMET all clubs can put down their numbers after the game.

I once did a Liberian Independence celebration game 100+ Liberians and Moi. Some no shin pads, some no boots, mixed shirts, questionable law knowledge, played 100 minutes on purpose as they were enjoying it. Barbecue, free food, flowery dresses, babies in shawls, proper African theme all low key friendly, great laugh. Loved it! 👍

As an assistant I would say Widnes stadium best stadium, Liverpool ladies game, and a contrib line there.

Largest crowd 400+ for a Cornish local Derby.

This season I enjoyed a day trip to referee Guernsey FC and the crowd was just under 1,000. On the line, Dulwich Hamlet had over 3,000 in on the weekend when it was an international break for bigger clubs.

Best stadium ... Under Armour corporate match at the old White Hart Lane. Best surface I'd ever been on and they were ripping it up the next day to relay for the next season :confused:

As an assistant Priestfield Stadium Infront of maybe 1-200 for a women's academy cup final.

As a referee The Gallagher Stadium in Maidstone for a women's game, but probably no more than 50 in the crowd at a push.

Even though it was only my second season (last season), I was lucky enough to get a line at King’s Lynn’s U18s (National League North stadium). It wasn’t a special appointment as they’re in the same midweek U18 league I officiate every week, but I never usually get games on that side of the county.

Biggest crowd was only 115 but it was both teams’ biggest derby of the season and last game of the season, so there was actually a bit of an atmosphere for the first time in my career

did an FA womens cup game a few weeks ago at the john smiths stadium (huddersfield town), 1200 in, really good experience.

biggest crowd was 1500 for an FA vase game between south shields and morpeth that ended up getting abandoned for floodlight failure

Only in my 3rd season as a ref but I've been fortunate enough to referee a match at the New York Stadium (Rotherham FC) with 350 watching. I've been 4th official for a final at Bramhall Lane too with 200/300 there.

As a player I played at Edgeley Park in a County Cup final. That's when Stockport were what we now call a Championship team. Even got the winner ;) I've also olayed at double figure conference/national league stadiums and at Preston North End.

I did a charity game a few years ago, player lost his wife and child in childbirth! They were raising money for cuddle cots for parents in this situation and very ill babies. I did it for free of course, 150+ family and friends. Two adult teams, competitive and they asked me to film bits if I could as a momento of the day and for a fundraising page. Well, the lad scored a right goal and it was brilliant to see 22 players pile on top of him to celebrate and I filmed it at close quarters. I’ve never cried on a pitch but there were mass tears on the side and it brought a lump to your throat! Remember that moment forever RIP

I did a charity game a few years ago, player lost his wife and child in childbirth! They were raising money for cuddle cots for parents in this situation and very ill babies. I did it for free of course, 150+ family and friends. Two adult teams, competitive and they asked me to film bits if I could as a momento of the day and for a fundraising page. Well, the lad scored a right goal and it was brilliant to see 22 players pile on top of him to celebrate and I filmed it at close quarters. I’ve never cried on a pitch but there were mass tears on the side and it brought a lump to your throat! Remember that moment forever RIP
Is there someway we can watch it?

I think the biggest crowd I had was a Sunday League cup final, probably 2-400 present but there were a number of finals all going one after the other so lots of people coming and going.

Back