A&H

Blackpool vs Solihull

The Referee Store
Second clip, originally thought no pen, foot isn't high, head isn't low, intention was to clear the ball.

On replay, I'd be playing on.

I see what you're saying but intention isn't something we should be taking into account, it's no longer a consideration in the LOTG for us

I see what you're saying but intention isn't something we should be taking into account, it's no longer a consideration in the LOTG for us

Fair enough, but isn't intention covered regarding say a tackle from the back or side, if going for the ball in the penalty area as a player is attacking?

This is the sort of thing I'm getting at /thinking of, obviously law 12.

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

Fair enough, but isn't intention covered regarding say a tackle from the back or side, if going for the ball in the penalty area as a player is attacking?

This is the sort of thing I'm getting at /thinking of, obviously law 12.

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

Yes, but this isn’t a DOGSO incident. Note intention is used to establish the extent of DOGSO, not whether something is a foul or not

Yes, but this isn’t a DOGSO incident. Note intention is used to establish the extent of DOGSO, not whether something is a foul or not

I'll have to try and change my way of thinking /seeing things then...

I'll have to try and change my way of thinking /seeing things then...

Not necessarily saying you’re wrong and I think we all - whether consciously or subconsciously - consider a player’s intention. The point, however, is that this is no longer in the LOTG - just something to consider

Not necessarily saying you’re wrong and I think we all - whether consciously or subconsciously - consider a player’s intention. The point, however, is that this is no longer in the LOTG - just something to consider

I'll consider it, thank you, I just know I'll still be looking at a players intentions, as you say, it can be a subconscious thing, it can't be helped.

Back