A&H

Bookings

Ref Axel

Hi

My name is Axel and I'm an active referee in the Belgian's first division A. Lately I experienced some problems with my cards, as I am used to just using my notebook to write down the number of the players and etc. I noticed that this takes way too much time and oughts to show lack of unprofessionalism.

I see refs using 'post-its' on their cards. I am not 100% sure they are post-its, but I figured they are.
My question is: what is the best and most efficient method to list bookings? And where do you keep your cards? I always keep my yellow card in my right pocket (shorts) and then my red card in my back pocket (shorts). I am also using Erima's card set, if you're interested. Not sure if these are good quality? I'd like to hear opinions.

Thank you in advance.
Kind regards

Axel

The Referee Store
Hi Axel,
where to put your cards is personal preference. I strongly recommend you carry 2 sets out - cards can always fall out of your pocket, or some player may steal one out of your hand.

I've always had cards fall out of my back pockets, so I use my chest pockets and shorts pockets. Yellow is in the right of both (I'm right handed so use my right hand more. I use yellow more than red. Therefore....), red in the left.
I like write-on card templates, but I prefer to carry a small notepad just in case I want to write something down in more details.

Hi

My name is Axel and I'm an active referee in the Belgian's first division A. Lately I experienced some problems with my cards, as I am used to just using my notebook to write down the number of the players and etc. I noticed that this takes way too much time and oughts to show lack of unprofessionalism.

I see refs using 'post-its' on their cards. I am not 100% sure they are post-its, but I figured they are.
My question is: what is the best and most efficient method to list bookings? And where do you keep your cards? I always keep my yellow card in my right pocket (shorts) and then my red card in my back pocket (shorts). I am also using Erima's card set, if you're interested. Not sure if these are good quality? I'd like to hear opinions.

Thank you in advance.
Kind regards

Axel

First thing, don't worry about it being slower than you see on the TV with the quick run up, flash the yellow and get on with the game. In general you have more time than you think.

Most efficient way depends on the league, you may get team sheets, but often especially at lower levels the numbers the players wear don't match the numbers on the team sheet, so you need to get the name.

I typically only have the subs names written down on my notepad, then take the name, including spelling and first name and if it takes a moment or two, so be it.

As for cards. Yellow in left front shorts pocket, red in back right shorts pocket, then spare yellow and red on top right shorts pocket. Notebook in front right shorts pocket. Ultimately it's what feels comfortable and natural to you.

Slowing down the game can sometimes be a good thing. Most cases when you use cards are tense situations in the game and slowing the game down helps with game management.

You can buy card skins from most ref supply stores online. But I don't use them. I like recording them in my notebook.

I don't know the brand of my cards but they have a fifa fair play logo on them and they are on the smaller size of cards I have seen around. I don't like the bigger cards as a personal preference.

My yellow is in front right shorts pocket. Red is in the top right shirt pocket. Spare set in the top left shirt pocket with the wallet. Occasionally (when I need thinking time or need to take the card out quickly) I use the spare set for a double yellow since the red and yellow are right next to each other with the notepad.

The answer to your question is the best and most effective way, is the way that works for you.

I am back to using notebook in back pocket now , with yellow card top left pocket, red card top right, and spare cards kept in notebook

My thinking is very basic.....red, right.

its whatever works for you.

If I can get away with just taking numbers, I use the refsworld card skins, although I've only just worked out that a sharpie is the perfect pen for that. Yellow in top left (I find it more comfortable to access chest pockets with my "opposite" hand), red in back pocket. Spare pair in top right pocket. Annoyingly, I got used to this system with my old shorts, which had a back-left pocket that I could access with my left hand, but the new Nike shorts only have a back right pocket, which makes it awkward to access if I've already gone for the yellow with my right hand.

Where I have to take player names, a notebook in my right shorts pocket works. I sometimes keep a spare pair in my top right pocket, but often forget to bother!

Thanks a lot for your input fellows. I really appreciate. I wasn't aware about carrying a second set of cards. I mostly pull out the yellow first (front right shorts pocket) and then the red after (back right shorts pocket). I will surely carry a second set now to make it easier.

Thanks once again.

Ultimately what works for you and remember you have more time than you think,. same as every other decision on the pitch

For those in England, remember that up to and now including level 3, you are expected to follow the caution procedure that involves taking their name and writing it down, or at least ticking it off against a list of names that you have already written down. I was sat with an L3 observer at a game recently and he has a big thing with this. Write on a card in a game he is observing and you are going to get marked down.

I put a piece of thick masking tape on each side of the card. Home on one side and away on the other. Plenty of room to write name, number offence and time.

For those in England, remember that up to and now including level 3, you are expected to follow the caution procedure that involves taking their name and writing it down, or at least ticking it off against a list of names that you have already written down. I was sat with an L3 observer at a game recently and he has a big thing with this. Write on a card in a game he is observing and you are going to get marked down.
Seems harsh. You could well be writing down the name on the card, after all.

Personally, I use a match card to record, and separate yellow, though in the past I've used yellow cards with recordable sections.

I carry 2 sets. yellow in top left pocket red in back pocket my card holder and match card in top left.

Silly as it sounds, I have found that spending 5 minutes copying the teamsheet into my notepad pre-match has really improved my game. No more asking about odd spellings, players getting frustrated when they have to spell it twice because you misheard them the first time, no more fumbling with the pen in the cold, no more trying to decipher what the bloody hell the rushed chicken scratch actually says. No possible on all leagues obviously, but where I get team sheets it all goes into the book before KO.

On cards, I have red back right, yellow front right, red in front left (for 2nd yellow card offences) and then notepad in top right pocket, sharpie, pen and pencil in top left. The notepad also has a set of cards in which act as my spares.

Taking your time with bookings also reduces the tensions of its becoming a heated game. It can help tbring things back down to a comfortable and more importantly, manageable level. Certainly nothing wrong with taking your time.

Having your Red and Yellow cards is a personal preference some referees prefer their cards in the top left pocket etc.
Personally i have my Red card in back pocket of shorts and then my yellow in right pocket of shorts makes it easier to give booking quicker if needed. I found keeping a spare red and yellow in the top left pocket made it easier to dismiss a player for a second caution-able offence! Then my match record wallet in my right top pocket of my jersey with two pens. But in all honesty it doesn't matter about where your cards go just as long as they are easily accessible to you given the time you need to use them.

Unfortunately in one of the leagues I regularly ref in, referees no longer get a copy of the team sheets. Always have followed the standard protocol regarding carding procedure and with or without team sheet double check the name I was given during the game with the manager afterwards. Players often don't like it when you ask them to spell their name or repeat it, but doesn't bother me. As others have said, often serves to calm things down especially if there's a few borderline challenges flying in. I have book sized sheets, one side has all the match info and on the blank reverse, which I divide it into 2, 1 half for goals and other for cards. Can write as much or little as I want then during the game.

During one of my son's games last year, after one of the most blatant handballs you will ever see, referee was on the edge of the centre circle just waved yellow towards offending player who was facing towards referee and a couple of yards outside his own penalty area (opposite half of pitch from referee). Referee must have had xray vision to have seen the number on his back from that distance and with the number facing away from him. Looked lazy, unprofessional and did nothing to help his match control either!

Also, if they say Mickey Mouse or something else blatantly silly, threaten to start and write that name down, warn the player that that’s what’s going in on the report and once the FA see that M Mouse name they realise that he won’t be registered and then may charge you team with fielding an illegible player and any points earned today may be forfeited... that generally sharpens their memory! Happy days

Back