A&H

Burnley Barnes

The Referee Store
The studio clip said Barnes clearly said ”cheat”.

All we can do here is make sure it’s clear to all refs, players and coaches not subject to the prem merry go round.

Cheat = red card
Scream f^^^ off at the ref = ref card
Aggressive threatening behaviour at an AR = red card

I once remember a player manager sounding off at me, he was fuming about something he'd got completely wrong in law, I counted around 12 swear words all aimed at me, I calmly waited till he'd finished flashed him the red and then counted about another 6 as he walked off. He got a very long ban back in the day, At the end of the season I had him again, his first word as he shook my hand was a smiling swear word, we both laughed and got on with it, he was a good lad the second game!!! Its not really personal, I know it looks it, it is passion, yes, he should have walked, you can understand it in some way but that certainly doesn't justify it!!!

Am forgiving Barnes.

But not the referee. Borderline cheating, Yes, to leave a player on the park who behaves like that is cheating the entire profession. Near fraud

Agree but at the very least it's a vague and relatively unsuccessful attempt to reduce abuse towards officials. Mr Waltons comments actively endorse it (obviously not his intention).
I'd rather no campaign than a pretend one.
The problem with the pretend campaign is that then they justify not actually doing anything because they point to the pretend campaign, shrug their shoulders and say 'what more do you want'?

At least with no campaign there's a better chance of a new, effective campaign
Update, Mark Clattenburg says Taylor used common sense in not taking action as he knew he had messed up the original incident and did not want to make it worse

Well thats ok then, free range for players to abuse you when making the wrong call

Am starting to believe had he decapitated the AR, Barnes would still have escaped a sanction
That's a disgraceful comment.
Even if the ref made the wrong decision to start, the player is responsible for his own actions.

Not surprising that an ex-PL ref is saying 'what's wrong? Abuse is perfectly fine'.

Barnes won't have much respec
I'd rather no campaign than a pretend one.
The problem with the pretend campaign is that then they justify not actually doing anything because they point to the pretend campaign, shrug their shoulders and say 'what more do you want'?

At least with no campaign there's a better chance of a new, effective campaign

That's a disgraceful comment.
Even if the ref made the wrong decision to start, the player is responsible for his own actions.

Not surprising that an ex-PL ref is saying 'what's wrong? Abuse is perfectly fine'.

To be fair I think that the respect campaign has made progress at junior level, but as you go up teenage groups it's effectiveness dwindles away

I would also direct Walton, Clattenburg and any other ex top ranking referee, but more so Clattenburg given his elite status, to page 141 of the book that they were meant to adhere too

It is a fundamental principle of football that the match officials decisions must always be respected..(even when they are wrong)

If thats Barnes showing respect, lets hope not to see him on his time of the month day

Back