A&H

Card skins

Stand to be corrected (going off memory), but the only card we're allowed to 'flash' at grass roots is red; and that's to prevent immanent mayhem following VC or SFP

Correct, below is taken from the handbook for observers at L4 and above ...

Issuing of disciplinary action to be in line with approved procedure: name, reason for caution / dismissal then card, unless the early issuing of a red card is able to prevent a situation escalating.

The Referee Store
Ive pulled out a few cards over the years to try and diffuse a situation.. I'm self taught but its just a good thing to do at times!

I don't take names because in London a lot of them are very long and hard to hear. Even asking the player to spell their name can take forever. Plenty of players in my leagues don't speak English or are very heavily accented.

I take the numbers. After the match I check their names on the teamsheet, if necessary from other players.

Last week I had three cautions and every single one was wrong on the teamsheet.

I had one team that was like that, they all had nicknames too, I always got the names after or just got them from the League website. A lot weren't English and spoke in a multitude of first languages!!! No chuffing chance!!!

For me, a team sheet that has names and shirt numbers on it is more reliable than the name given to you by a player who is about to be sent off (or cautioned). What is to stop them giving the name of a team mate who is injured for the next few games?

And one for your note book.

With modern records and protocols, I would think recording the number in the heat of the moment is adequate--why ask for a name?

Sort of agree. It's mandatory that team sheets match up with the numbers in my county (in Wales), so if anyone ends up appealing they're essentially admitting to not putting the correct names and numbers down on the team sheet anyway.

That said, we still have the English procedure for isolation, name, discipline though. There's been one or two incidents this season where an error has come up because a referee failed to take a name, one which caused a bit of drama early on in the season.

This is one that could vary locally, so from the chilly north.....its complicated !!

When observing, I need to see that the referee knows and can demonstrate the required procedure at the level he is at, so, yes, stop game if needed, isolate/meet half way whatever is apt, name/number, reason and show card.
However if the referee has say, 7/8/9 cautions, as long as I can establish he can carry out the caution procedure, then that's all I need to see, so, without being set in stone, if 5 of them were done as per procedure and the rest flashed, I can live it.
Very similar to the subs procedure, we dont need the ref to go over 28 times in a game to do it, but, show me that you know the procedure.
If the game requires a slow card, say, then, give me it, slow it down and do it as taught. This is filed under good managment as much as carrying out procedure.
And flip side, flash me a quick red and everything is defused, I will give credit.
Neat, tidy, minimum fuss, clear to all what is going on, to who, and controlled

If post match I need to clarify who has been cautioned, then already either am gen just checking, or, the caution was not isolated for example and card was simply thrown into a crowd of players. Which is not a good sign.

I have prev requested a total change to the guidelines (here), as, soon as these guys progress, the "good?" practise they have learnt and spent a few seasons showing off, gets binned.
i agree randomly flashing a card at a crowd of players will always get a strong we dont do that from me and a mention on the assesment/advice section in y report

Back