A&H

Cardiff v Manchester city

bloovee

RefChat Addict
Feel free to.allow for blue tinged glasses but Mr Mason should never be allowed near a city game again. Failed to protect players (4 cautionable offences ignored, one SFP/DOGSO missed - players injured as a result) and didn't overrule the worst offside decision of the season.

The Referee Store
I can see why he stuck with the offside, he is very close to the keepers line of vision

There were several robust challenges in the first half which went without cards until the one on sane which could have broken his ankle

I watched most of it Live and at match speed I was happy with yellow from the original angle shown for BUAPA. Conversely, it was a different tackle from the other side which was clearly a red. it wasn't the worst decision for offside however it was clearly wrong with the benefit of freeze frame!!

Last edited:
How doesn't the assistant on that side see Bennett's studs go into the City's player's legs? Curious.

Genuinely feel like if you had some substitutes or something standing behind or next to the assistant they'll spot that.

I watched most of it Live and at match speed I was happy with yellow from the original angle shown for BUAPA. Conversely, it was a different tackle from the other side which was clearly a red. it wasn't the worst decision for offside however it was clearly wrong with the benefit of freeze frame!!
so marginally in offside position but no way interfering under the definition.

At least Mason stopped the game today to remove a big beach ball. Probably his best decision of the day.

I saw the SFP tackle on reddit. Was pretty nasty, I'm guessing he didn't see it properly, there's no other reason he could think that was only a cautionable offence.

so marginally in offside position but no way interfering under the definition.
Note even sure why I'm responding to this, since your spectacles are beyond blue, but:

If the player was in offside position (and I've seen 4 replays, and I'm still not 100% certain if he was offside or not), then he was DEFINITELY in the line of sight, which IS in the definition.

That would be (emphasis mine):
interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or

the worst offside decision of the season
Even allowing for blue-tinted glasses, that decision is miles away from the worst offside decision of the season. It's not even 100% clear that it was wrong. On balance, I think it probably was wrong, but only marginally in terms of offside position and while I'm personally not convinced that it really was a case of preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing their line of vision, it's still very much open for debate. So marginal and/or debatable, sure - but nowhere near the worst decision of the season, as far as I'm concerned. It's also not one that was so obviously wrong that the referee should have been overruling the AR.

B Silva goal.jpg

The ball is already on its way into goal before Sane runs anywhere near the keeper's eyeline.

Put it this way, it's probably the worst offside decision against City since this one (same assistant...)

A bad decision.jpg

Anyway, it's the protection of players from thuggery that's the main issue.

The problem was Sane had basically run the entire length of the pitch before the tackle. With the greatest of respect in the world (though I’m not sure he deserves much), Lee Mason is not going to keep up with that pace, let alone be in a good position to obtain the necessary angle to see that position. It’s in these cases that VAR would have been very useful indeed. Though I agree, not sure how the assistant hasn’t seen anything, no offside for him to concentrate on with Sane the only player up there.

Think Sane was marginally onside for the goal but were he offside, think he’s definitely interfering

i dont think that pic helps your case @bloovee

the one you should be showing is the keeper and defenders reacting to the shot immediately, getting nowhere near it and not appealing for offside!

Note even sure why I'm responding to this, since your spectacles are beyond blue, but:

If the player was in offside position (and I've seen 4 replays, and I'm still not 100% certain if he was offside or not), then he was DEFINITELY in the line of sight, which IS in the definition.

That would be (emphasis mine):

but he didn't prevent the GK from playing the ball - he was nowhere near it and that was because of the power of the shot, not because the player was in the way.

Anyway - there was a far more comical performance in that match - Guy Mowbray and the BBC production team.

Missing Cardiff's best chance of the 1st half because they were showing City's 1st goal for the 8th, 9th and 10th time was bad enough, not showing a replay for 5 minutes compounded the mistake.

However, thinking the City 'offside goal' had been given was worse. Not only did Mowbray say it was a goal, so did director who ordered graphic to show 2-0. Mowbray then seemed puzzled that the kick off hadn't been taken in the centre circle, before a LITTLE! belatedly realising that the gaol had been disallowed. To dig himself a deeper hole he then tried to claim that Lee Mason had pointed to the centre circle, before a replay showed that to be total nonsense.

I'm not really surprised as this is the man who recently was mulling over the fact if a player was offside or not after following up a penalty kick!

Appalling!

The problem was Sane had basically run the entire length of the pitch before the tackle. With the greatest of respect in the world (though I’m not sure he deserves much), Lee Mason is not going to keep up with that pace, let alone be in a good position to obtain the necessary angle to see that position. It’s in these cases that VAR would have been very useful indeed. Though I agree, not sure how the assistant hasn’t seen anything, no offside for him to concentrate on with Sane the only player up there.

I have to be honest and say that I was okay with the yellow card for the Bennett/Sane incident until I saw the replay. With the benefit of replays this is one of the worst fouls I have ever seen to it is disappointing that a top level refereeing team didn't see it as such.

Guardiola too generous in that clip about protecting all players - it's been open season on his players.

But it is a general problem - there's a reason there are no English referees going to the World Cup.

You DO get some tasty 'challenges' outside of Man City's games!

Amazingly Bristol City appealed this one:eek::eek::confused: - less amazingly appeal was rejected.

Back