A&H

Cards in tunnel and goal celebration over advertising boards

jm338

Hi all, Im wanting guidance on:

1. How to administer any cards in the tunnel at half time - should these be given at the time of offence in the tunnel or back out before the start of the second half (so everyone can see the sanction)?

2. When to caution players for goal celebrations over the advertising - eg jumping over the boards to celebrate with fans. I know what the law says but I’ve seen plenty of games on TV last season where either nine or only 1 player was cautioned or his, even if a group of players celebrated together.

The Referee Store
You've seen a game where nine players were cautioned for a single goal celebration? What game was that, then? :D
I never said the number 😇 but for the sake of this scenario, let’s say a group of 3 players. Interested to hear people’s thoughts

Last edited:
Hi all, Im wanting guidance on:

1. How to administer any cards in the tunnel at half time - should these be given at the time of offence in the tunnel or back out before the start of the second half (so everyone can see the sanction)?

2. When to caution players for goal celebrations over the advertising - eg jumping over the boards to celebrate with fans. I know what the law says but I’ve seen plenty of games on TV last season where either nine or only 1 player was cautioned or his, even if a group of players celebrated together.
1. These are issued at the time of the offence so, I dont know what level you are that you have tunnels but certainly in the changing room areas/tunnels if you have them.
May be confusing to spectators but so would marching them out and cautioning them. Its always worth ensuring someone in authority from the team, like the manager, is fully aware of the action taken in case they earn a 2nd yellow and then there will be almighty confusion as to why they are sent off. Fore warned is fore armed as they say.

2. If you look at the law jumping the advertising hoardings is not necessarily a goal celebration offence unless you consider it a perimeter fence.
Players are allowed to leave the FOP to celebrate a goal and are allowed to celebrate with spectators providing they don't celebrate excessively or cause safety or security issue and don't "climb a perimeter fence".
What you see on Tele 8s players approaching a perimeter fence, but they don't ever actually go past it or up onto it, they generally celebrate with the fans at the front. I can't think of many true examples of what you are suggesting where players go beyond the perimeter.
Goal celebrations are incredibly rare offence at our levels, I can think of twice in 11/12 years where I have cautioned a player for goal celebration (and thinking back on it one of those 2 should have been red).

Agree 100% with James - there are 3 categories of people that need to know about a caution. The player in question, your AR's and someone from team management. All the other categories that see a card (teammates, fans, opponents) are good practice to try and let them know about it, but not essential.

Also I'd add, never enter their changing room in order to issue a caution. I'd be furious with any player who entered our changing room without me inviting them in, so I think it's only fair to respect that boundary for them as well. If they make it into the changing room, ask for them to be sent out to issue the caution. If they refuse, tell the manager a caution has been issued there and then to avoid them "subbing" the player to try and dodge the card. If they do come out for the second half, complete the caution by confirming it with the player and showing the card, if they don't then make sure it's noted and get on with the game.

1. These are issued at the time of the offence so, I dont know what level you are that you have tunnels but certainly in the changing room areas/tunnels if you have them.
May be confusing to spectators but so would marching them out and cautioning them. Its always worth ensuring someone in authority from the team, like the manager, is fully aware of the action taken in case they earn a 2nd yellow and then there will be almighty confusion as to why they are sent off. Fore warned is fore armed as they say.
When I say the advance class up here, I failed a question regarding showing a card at half time. I chose the option of the recipient being made aware they had been cautioned but the correct answer was to do with them being shown the card on the field or sideline before the start of the second half. Never quite managed to find this in the laws I must add though

When I say the advance class up here, I failed a question regarding showing a card at half time. I chose the option of the recipient being made aware they had been cautioned but the correct answer was to do with them being shown the card on the field or sideline before the start of the second half. Never quite managed to find this in the laws I must add though
Yeah, that doesn't sound right to me. The card specifically "communicates" the caution - it does not actually apply it. If a referee forgets their cards, they still have the power to caution or dismiss players.

So therefore anything around when a referee should show cards is at most advice on best practice rather than a LOTG requirement.

Back