A&H

Cards in youth games

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 4W Referee
I’ve been doing a lot of U15 and U16 girls matches recently and have found myself not giving out a single card in 4 games.

I can think of two times I should have but didn’t:

1. Ball going past a player who was on their own instinctively stuck her hand up to stop it before immediately realising her mistake.

2. Arguably some dissent from a goalkeeper who didn’t utter a single word after I gave her a final warning.

But that still feels low, just the pace of the play and the quality means you don’t get many reckless challenges or cynical fouls. It’s almost all clumsy.

Am I missing a trick with adjusting my expectations?

The Referee Store
I'd argue that by the sounds of point #2, you're managing the few problems in games well. I'd say trust your expectations, sounds like the games are just going your way

I’ve been doing a lot of U15 and U16 girls matches recently and have found myself not giving out a single card in 4 games.

1. Ball going past a player who was on their own instinctively stuck her hand up to stop it before immediately realising her mistake.

2. Arguably some dissent from a goalkeeper who didn’t utter a single word after I gave her a final warning.

But that still feels low, just the pace of the play and the quality means you don’t get many reckless challenges or cynical fouls. It’s almost all clumsy.

1. Doesn't read like a caution.

2. Again, doesn't feel like a caution, stepped approach worked.

No need to look for cautions etc. They wil find you eventually.
Take the quiet games when you can, a tough game is just around the corner.

1. Doesn't read like a caution.

2. Again, doesn't feel like a caution, stepped approach worked.

No need to look for cautions etc. They wil find you eventually.
Take the quiet games when you can, a tough game is just around the corner.
1. Deliberate handball isn’t it? I’d caution an adult but maybe I need to brush up!

You’ve made me scared now! 😂😭

1. Deliberate handball isn’t it? I’d caution an adult but maybe I need to brush up!

You’ve made me scared now! 😂😭
Deliberate handball is not a  mandatory caution.
Cautions for handball:
SPA
Attempt to score goal by hand
Failed attempt to DOGSO
Unsporting behaviour
Persistent infringement with the final straw being a HB.

Just because it's deliberate doesn't make it a caution.

Deliberate handball is not a  mandatory caution.
Cautions for handball:
SPA
Attempt to score goal by hand
Failed attempt to DOGSO
Unsporting behaviour
Persistent infringement with the final straw being a HB.

Just because it's deliberate doesn't make it a caution.
Thank the lord I haven’t done one of those before! Reminds me to revise the LOTG this weekend, it’s been a while…

It came today! One yellow for persistent infringement, away manager was baffled by cards “at this level”. Told him they’re big girls playing 11 a side football.
Quite right. I ref a lot of girls 15-18 and yes, lots of games with no cards.

The hard thing when there is so little contact is not to get trapped whistling every contact - no one wants water polo refereeing! Communicate your non- decisions clearly;)

Then also to still use cards and not feel guilty. When you do eventually get a nasty trip or DOGSO, recognize it, act.

Quite right. I ref a lot of girls 15-18 and yes, lots of games with no cards.

The hard thing when there is so little contact is not to get trapped whistling every contact - no one wants water polo refereeing! Communicate your non- decisions clearly;)

Then also to still use cards and not feel guilty. When you do eventually get a nasty trip or DOGSO, recognize it, act.
Yeah I am much more vocal with youth football calling when the ball is still in play or when to play on.

Adjusted reffing according to the flow and nature of the game. I've done lots of girls/women's matches and only ever used 2 yellows on a set of twins. They were way more aggressive than the usual female players.

Back