A&H

Cards

The Referee Store
I made the mistake of leaving my red card in the outside flap of my card wallet during my game Saturday.

I went to caution a lad for a challenge and took the wallet out, he saw the red and started freaking out. Hold your horses, it's going to be a caution, the red is just in the wallet but not for you. Yet anyway.

Didn't hear a peep out of him for the rest of the game.

Teach me not to move it to its usual pocket!

That reminds me... I once took my book out to take down a lads name (because he annoyed me early on, but nothing to cause a caution).

But he also panicked when I took out the book - I told him im taking down his name, but its not a caution this time - and he was golden the rest of the game!

Might employ this technique for the rest of my games.

That reminds me... I once took my book out to take down a lads name (because he annoyed me early on, but nothing to cause a caution).

But he also panicked when I took out the book - I told him im taking down his name, but its not a caution this time - and he was golden the rest of the game!

Might employ this technique for the rest of my games.

Don't do this if you want to progress!!

Assessors and more experienced players will assume that you have "bottled" the caution and act accordingly.

Assessors and more experienced players will assume that you have "bottled" the caution and act accordingly.

Oh really?! I didnt even know that was a 'thing'. How would you bottle it? I.e. they chat their way out of it sort of thing.

Message received. I had a great affect, could I feign going for my pocket or would that also be seen as bottling it?

I find "Next time you're going in the book" just doesnt seem to be a good enough threat... If I try and make it public, then when the yellow does ensue - people can see it wasnt an empty threat?

That's probably worse , if you go for your pocket , you have to follow it through , players will see it , then you will have to let 22 players a second chance

The amount of times players say to me "you were gonna blow for that ref " they pick up on your every move ;)

That's probably worse , if you go for your pocket , you have to follow it through , players will see it , then you will have to let 22 players a second chance

The amount of times players say to me "you were gonna blow for that ref " they pick up on your every move ;)
I have the similar problem beezer... See what looks like a foul about to unfold, start moving my whistle to my mouth in anticipation, then the 'foul' turns into a good tackle/nothing collision. Cue cries of 'you were gonna blow then ref'... I reply with 'nahh I was just thinking about it' or 'just checking ive not dropped my whistle'... Usually shuts them up but I still dont like it... What do assessors think of this??

I have the similar problem beezer... See what looks like a foul about to unfold, start moving my whistle to my mouth in anticipation, then the 'foul' turns into a good tackle/nothing collision. Cue cries of 'you were gonna blow then ref'... I reply with 'nahh I was just thinking about it' or 'just checking ive not dropped my whistle'... Usually shuts them up but I still dont like it... What do assessors think of this??
I try not to do this as much as possible. But when I do, I just put my whistle in the middle of my hand a scratch my nose or chin or something, no one knows!!!

Haha, this made me chuckle because its exactly what I do. Constant cries of "If you're going to blow - blow!" or "Yes ref, we'll have that foul" even though I havent even blown for it.

But that turn-it-into-a-nose-scratch-with-the-back-of-my-hand routine is brilliant.

I often shout (if truly caught out) with "just getting ready for the next foul"

I wear a black sweatband on the same arm as my whistle. When I realise I've incorrectly put the whistle towards my mouth i quickly follow up with a wipe of the brow/face instead.
Although it must look obvious what i'm up to.... no one has said anything yet.

Back