A&H

Open Age Caution or not

Egg man

Level 5 Referee
Adult men football.

Felt I managed my game well today so over all I'm pleased, players all seem to be happy with with my refereeing at final whistle on both sides.

Now I would like advice currently L7 and be advised I could put myself forward for double promotion so keen to ensure I give myself the best possible chance.

75 min long down right wing Defender gets to the ball first facing is owe byline attacker hot on his heels, Defender turns does a trick pass the attacker during this process the attacker foul the defender late challange ( ensure he foul the player) kick on the shins late , Defender not happy, but as I'm close to play I'm able to stop the two player having words, and I have a strong word with the attacker. But no caution last 15min of game went well.

My question is would an observer expect me to caution the player it was late and very silly challenge but in the end no harm was done. And the game was always under control.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Adult men football.

Felt I managed my game well today so over all I'm pleased, players all seem to be happy with with my refereeing at final whistle on both sides.

Now I would like advice currently L7 and be advised I could put myself forward for double promotion so keen to ensure I give myself the best possible chance.

75 min long down right wing Defender gets to the ball first facing is owe byline attacker hot on his heels, Defender turns does a trick pass the attacker during this process the attacker foul the defender late challange ( ensure he foul the player) kick on the shins late , Defender not happy, but as I'm close to play I'm able to stop the two player having words, and I have a strong word with the attacker. But no caution last 15min of game went well.

My question is would an observer expect me to caution the player it was late and very silly challenge but in the end no harm was done. And the game was always under control.
It sounds reckless, in which case "yes" to your question. But irrespective of that, without an observer, reckless is a caution.

To me it sounds a bit cynical and unnecessary, so I’d probably be inclined to caution. I think based on what you’ve written, you got the feeling that it was a YC - I’d trust your instinct.

I am currently (trying) doing the 7-5. It is tough as it’s a hefty number of games and observations, BUT the feedback from assessors is so useful - they pick up the little things that seem so obvious once they tell you etc.

What CFA are you affiliated with?

very difficult for us to advise without seeing the tackle, so simply put it’s a case of ‘did you think it was reckless?’. If you didn’t and you were being assessed, observers would usually be happy with that if you’re able to explain why you think that.

To me it sounds a bit cynical and unnecessary, so I’d probably be inclined to caution. I think based on what you’ve written, you got the feeling that it was a YC - I’d trust your instinct.

I am currently (trying) doing the 7-5. It is tough as it’s a hefty number of games and observations, BUT the feedback from assessors is so useful - they pick up the little things that seem so obvious once they tell you etc.

What CFA are you affiliated with?
Hants Fa. I'm a bit worried about the amount of games,but keen to progress.

In general, I think most refs, especially knew ones, are more likely to give too few cards than too many. From what you describe, and write about it, I suspect that caution would have been more appropriate than no caution. But without being there, no way to give a definitive answer.

I think I Knew it was a caution. As I said I was on top of the game, It was a silly challenge by a young player. I didn't get the feeling the game was about to turn.

But none the less it should have been a caution.

Adult men football.

As said above, you have to be there to judge.

Reckless or USB is not black and white. Some are relatively clear so are expected one way or other. But there are those which are in a grey area. For those I'd look at the context of the game, your explanation of why you did or not caution and how that decision impacted your control for the rest of the game. For example if you don't caution this and there is a revenge tackle five minutes later, it means whatever you did to manage it didn't work. So expect to lose marks for not cautioning it.

Hope this helps.

Only you were there. Based purely on my take from the words used and the mental image in my head, am not going yellow here, as ref, and, I can live with no yellow as observer.
Had say, defender saught retribution five mins later with a stonewall reckless yc then fair or unfair, I might amend my notes

thats the fine line we tread and the harsh reality. Everyone develops their threshold, on experience, reputation, ability etc. One train of thought is if there is doubt, simply card and get on with it.
One is, if it can be managed, manage it
A very very very elite colleague went through his career with every orange, being a red.

sometimes there is no actual answer

The phrase "ensuring he foul the player" reads to me like a textbook stopping a promising attack (SPA) foul, which I think most people expect to be a caution. Throw in he description of a late kick on the shins and it does sound borderline reckless as well so I definitely think you could have sold the caution.

People thinking they're managing the game well is in my experience the number one source of late-game mass cons. Sometimes it is genuinely true when both teams are playing in the right spirit and the game genuinely does want a light touch. But more often than not, it's actually a referee subconsciously signalling to players that the bar on fouls is high - and all it takes is one player using that as a reason to push that bar and you find yourself with a much bigger issue. As Anubis says, a retaliatory tackle 5 minutes later would change your entire perspective on this game - you got lucky it didn't happen this time, but sometimes where you have an easy opportunity for a card just as the game is coming to an end, it's smart refereeing to take it and remind players that you're there and you're still in control.

I'd also be really wary of setting yourself up to have different approaches based on if you're being observed or not. Not only is it just generally bad practice, you're setting yourself up for mistakes and second-guessing yourself during the game. Why go out of your way to create an "observed referee" mindset and a "non-observed referee" mindset and risk being in the wrong one at the wrong moment, or hesitating over a decision while you try and decide what an observer would want you to do, when you could just create a "referee" mindset and approach every game consistently?

Back