A&H

Open Age Caution procedure and write on cards

Jtpetherick1

I’ve moved recently from Wales (essentially a free-for-all when it comes to caution procedures) to England.

Previously, I whipped a quick card out and showed it. I then either called the player over and asked the details or I scribbled down the number on the card if I was at a level to be sure of the team sheet.

I believe that’s not what is done in England where it is isolate, explain etc. Does this mean I can’t scribble on my cards anymore?

I know there are assessors here so I’m keen to figure out if I need to change my whole style to pass assessments!

The Referee Store
I’ve moved recently from Wales (essentially a free-for-all when it comes to caution procedures) to England.

Previously, I whipped a quick card out and showed it. I then either called the player over and asked the details or I scribbled down the number on the card if I was at a level to be sure of the team sheet.

I believe that’s not what is done in England where it is isolate, explain etc. Does this mean I can’t scribble on my cards anymore?

I know there are assessors here so I’m keen to figure out if I need to change my whole style to pass assessments!
Feel free to scribble whatever you like on whatever you like, but like you already alluded to, if you only write down the number and it doesn't tally with the team sheet then you're putting the wrong name into the system which will need to be sorted by the League and club.
Not really your problem having said that but here in England, if you're being observed, most observers will expect to see the isolate, take name, explain decision and finally show card protocol being demonstrated. ;) :)

Feel free to scribble whatever you like on whatever you like, but like you already alluded to, if you only write down the number and it doesn't tally with the team sheet then you're putting the wrong name into the system which will need to be sorted by the League and club.
Not really your problem having said that but here in England, if you're being observed, most observers will expect to see the isolate, take name, explain decision and finally show card protocol being demonstrated. ;) :)
Yes, and your RDO and county disciplinary team aren't going to be best impressed if you keep submitting the wrong name due to relying on team sheets, which are notoriously unreliable at grass roots levels.

Reactions: Kes
I hate when a caution takes up 1-2 minutes of play when you're scribbling down the details from an uncooperative player, but sometimes it's the only way. If I have team sheets, I'll normally know if the team is responsible enough to fill them in properly (which is often not the case), and will just take down a number if that's the case.
I find myself running quite a hybrid system of how I actually take down names and numbers, but I haven't encountered any issues over the season.

I would say I stick to the Isolate - > Explain (When they're not biting my head off) - > Show process, it just looks neater in my opinion

I hate when a caution takes up 1-2 minutes of play when you're scribbling down the details from an uncooperative player, but sometimes it's the only way. If I have team sheets, I'll normally know if the team is responsible enough to fill them in properly (which is often not the case), and will just take down a number if that's the case.
I find myself running quite a hybrid system of how I actually take down names and numbers, but I haven't encountered any issues over the season.

I would say I stick to the Isolate - > Explain (When they're not biting my head off) - > Show process, it just looks neater in my opinion
Just be careful if you go for promotion, be seen to be asking their name rather than just writing down their number.

I also wouldn't ever assume that a team is responsible to fill a team sheet in properly. At higher levels, where a club secretary does it, it will be correct. At grass roots it will likely be an already hassled manager or captain doing it, and mistakes will happen. I've been there as a manager, you are trying to deal with late players and find out where they are, quite often late referees, warming up the team, telling them the tactics, checking ID cards with the opposition, dealing with players that are then p!ssed off because they aren't starting, and so on, all at the same time as trying to fill a team sheet in. I'm very good at football admin, but I got it wrong a few times.

Just be careful if you go for promotion, be seen to be asking their name rather than just writing down their number.
Yeah it's a good point. I was quite by the book with the caution procedure, but by the time I'd had all ym 4 Match Day Coach reports, I kind of slackened off into a cautioning system that felt a bit more comfortable - need to tidy it up before my 5-4. As you've said, even the best organised teams can make mistakes.

Personally I ask for the name but I only write down the number. At the end of the match I check the teamsheet, if it doesn't chime with my recollection of the name I'll ask. Takes a couple of minutes at the end of the game, saves a couple of minutes in it.

Yes, and your RDO and county disciplinary team aren't going to be best impressed if you keep submitting the wrong name due to relying on team sheets, which are notoriously unreliable at grass roots levels.
Thanks all. So are write on cards still okay provided I follow the above? I don’t need to keep the card secret until the end?

Thanks all. So are write on cards still okay provided I follow the above? I don’t need to keep the card secret until the end?
Write on cards are okay.

Producing a red card will be more ‘difficult’ than a yellow as you wouldn’t really use it the same was as a yellow card. It depends how reliable your team sheets are over here and level. You could get away with isolating the player and just telling them what they’ve done and then showing the red and noting their number afterwards. But if it’s not reliable, you may need a notebook and take their name and number first then show the rd

I tend to write all the names down in my notepad from the team sheet before the game so saves you scribbling away on the pitch. Simple tick next to the name or whatever and away you go

I tend to write all the names down in my notepad from the team sheet before the game so saves you scribbling away on the pitch. Simple tick next to the name or whatever and away you go
Tip for you, if you don't already.
Make sure you record the time. When you do FA games, where discipline is recorded in MOAS (good chance you'll get an FA Cup or a Vase game now you are a 4) it asks for the time of the offence which is a mandatory field

Tip for you, if you don't already.
Make sure you record the time. When you do FA games, where discipline is recorded in MOAS (good chance you'll get an FA Cup or a Vase game now you are a 4) it asks for the time of the offence which is a mandatory field

Refsix does this automatically (and also the position on the pitch) in case that helps anyone.

This is such an interesting one for me, because anyone who known me knew I did 7 years at L4 until I was 30 6 years ago, and for my whole referee life Iv never used a book always masking tape / or write on the card with pencil / sharpie and always done quick cautions / only slightly slowed them down when observed as a 4, and never was criticised. As soon as you reach Panel up (football conference) refs are allowed to flash quick cards, the biggest bug bare of clubs is a referee calling over a player for a little word, and half the times the benches say “lino if his not going to caution get on with the game”

I’m an advocate for quick cards ! But like most said above got to slow them down if being observed.

Email just came through from an RDO, albeit not to me, but forwarded to a friend in a different county, from Dan Meeson.

Following was stated:

View attachment 6748
Dan Meeson is a Step 2 manager but the email was sent to those operating down to Step 6.
To me, a notebook looks amateurish, shabby and out of date. The game can easily be slowed down without where needed.

It's pleasing this has been addressed, particularly for those who operate at Step 3 and above.

Dan Meeson is a Step 2 manager but the email was sent to those operating down to Step 6.
To me, a notebook looks amateurish, shabby and out of date. The game can easily be slowed down without where needed.

It's pleasing this has been addressed, particularly for those who operate at Step 3 and above.
Presuming this isn't relevant, then, for any of us operating at grassroots / below Step 6? They still want us to go through the full process?

Dan is the FA’s Head of Refereeing – Technical and Development, so rather more than a Step 2 manager. His remit is leading the technical side of referee development!

I don’t think it explicitly applies to grassroots, especially with the statement about the importance of good admin still, but I thought the recognition of the existing system being outdated was interesting - and shifting tides now maybe?

Back