A&H

Champions League Final

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
Good offside call too to nullify Madrid’s goal. Some odd positioning at times from the ref, must say I haven’t seen much of him (sure he’s only done Europa up to now?) - shame it’s not Felix Brych from Germany, objectively Europe’s best referee. Not much controversy!

Foul yes, intended injury?? Not sure. He’s no angel but I’ll give him the benefit of my doubt!

Good decision to let the first Madrid goal stand and as for the second...what a goal

Benzema goal was interesting, perfectly legal of course but Graham Poll said if it was kicked from the keeper then it woudnt have stood, Benzema was 2-3yrds away not sure on what grounds you would disallow that if it was kicked and not thrown?

View attachment 1984
Worth the admission fee alone!!!

Did u have to post that, I tipped him to everyone during the week, I was even gonna mention it on here if there was a thread on the final.

He didn’t start & I thought he wouldn’t come on and still the show would he, nah sod it I’ll back all four full backs instead :facepalm:

Benzema goal was interesting, perfectly legal of course but Graham Poll said if it was kicked from the keeper then it woudnt have stood, Benzema was 2-3yrds away not sure on what grounds you would disallow that if it was kicked and not thrown?

This was related to Karius’ appeal for a free kick. If Benzema stuck a foot in as he dropped it to kick its a free kick for preventing him releasing the ball. This was a case of the keeper throwing it against the attacker. Simply clarifying a point of law for viewers

This was related to Karius’ appeal for a free kick. If Benzema stuck a foot in as he dropped it to kick its a free kick for preventing him releasing the ball. This was a case of the keeper throwing it against the attacker. Simply clarifying a point of law for viewers

Problem is players will think is this had been kicked it's a foul. Benzema was yards away from the keeper. So it wouldn't have been a foul even if he had kicked it

But it wasn’t relevant as Benzema was 2-3 yards away.

So basically Poll has told viewers had that of been a kick from keeper it would have been dissalowed.. that’s not the case it would have stood.

Had Benzema been half a yard away and stuck a boot out to prevent the kick then it would have been dissalowed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone clarify the law/rule if they've got it in hand or stored in the LOTG section of you're brains?

Only reason I ask is I know that it's illegal to kick the ball as the keeper is dropping it to kick it but in my tired state this evening I seem to remember quite a number of occasions where a player has stuck his leg out when the keeper kicks or throws it and the referee brings play back for a freekick to the GK? Is it a distance thing or is my mind failing me? Benzema did stick his leg out to intercept it and I can see why some of the Liverpool players genuinely thought it was illegal because it's something that not happens often.

Edit: Just a quick check of the law and it references interfering with the keepers ability to play the ball clearly into play. I am guessing if Benzema was a finger nail away from the GK and he intercepts/blocks that ball then it's illegal but as above, I can definitely see why the Liverpool players may have thought it was illegal because of the relatively short distance involved rather than a 10-20 yard interception.

Can anyone clarify the law/rule if they've got it in hand or stored in the LOTG section of you're brains?

Only reason I ask is I know that it's illegal to kick the ball as the keeper is dropping it to kick it but in my tired state this evening I seem to remember quite a number of occasions where a player has stuck his leg out when the keeper kicks or throws it and the referee brings play back for a freekick to the GK? Is it a distance thing or is my mind failing me? Benzema did stick his leg out to intercept it and I can see why some of the Liverpool players genuinely thought it was illegal because it's something that not happens often.

Edit: Just a quick check of the law and it references interfering with the keepers ability to play the ball clearly into play. I am guessing if Benzema was a finger nail away from the GK and he intercepts/blocks that ball then it's illegal but as above, I can definitely see why the Liverpool players may have thought it was illegal because of the relatively short distance involved rather than a 10-20 yard interception.

I make u right, very rare that you’ll get the Benzema goal in a game let alone a champs league final, another prime example of you never know what your gonna get in a game.

A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball when:
• the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms except if the ball rebounds accidentally from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save
• holding the ball in the outstretched open hand
• bouncing it on the ground or throwing it in the air

A goalkeeper cannot be challenged by an opponent when in control of the ball with the hands.

Did Benzema challenge Karius while he was still in control of the ball? No. Karius had thrown the ball to distribute it so he was no longer in control of it once it was released from his hands. However, the GK is still in control of the ball while "throwing it in the air" when they are going to punt it. That's why you see it called when an attacker prevents the GK from punting the ball.

Did Benzema challenge Karius while he was still in control of the ball? No. Karius had thrown the ball to distribute it so he was no longer in control of it once it was released from his hands. However, the GK is still in control of the ball while "throwing it in the air" when they are going to punt it. That's why you see it called when an attacker prevents the GK from punting the ball.

Yep. Maybe my memory is deceiving me, but I am sure I've seen attackers penalised after the GK has kicked it i.e he throws it in the air and kicks the ball, the ball travels 2ft and an attacker sticks his leg out and intercepts/blocks the ball and the attacker is penalised. I may be wrong (or maybe the officials who called the decision were wrong) but I am just sure I've seen that scenario play out a number of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back