A&H

Champions League Final

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
On Ramos, surely a bit of poor prep by the ref team, everybody in world knows Ramos game and by all means, he is outstanding at it and he is that player who you would want at your team. You know by all means, fair and unfair, he will target the other teams best player, who on this occasion was his direct opponent.
Its a master class in tactics from Real and Ramos, Sallah must have known what to expect, but for me, so should the officials.
The game was deprived one of its main players due to the actions of an opponent, not for one moment am I suggesting Ramos was worthy of dismissal but, its the very 1 on 1 i would expect the officials to be aware of in advance and I would be making it priority to stamp out those small flames, before they result in a fire
Fantastic defensive play for the good of his team by Ramos, I just felt at the highest level on the biggest stage, a bit more awareness and proactivty was required by the referee

100% goal for me, Division 4 Dog & Duck goalkeeping for this and particulally the other one! Why do GKs try and Parry shots these days, surely they know the current guidelines on picking the ball back up? :devil: Sadly, this one was in the back of his net!!
So you'd permit a defender to jump in front of a keeper as he's releasing the ball?

That's a no goal for me - why is it legal? He's blocked the keeper's release. He's stuck his leg out as the keeper is releasing it - that's the definition of preventing the keeper from releasing the ball!

Unless attackers are now allowed to run across the front of the keeper and jump as they're releasing it? The release of the ball goes beyond the moment the ball leaves the hand - the keeper had no opportunity to return the ball to the field.

A player, 1-2 yards away, sticks his leg out to block the path of the ball. That isn't blocking it?

Where are you getting that quote from?

If it’s not illegal to stand 2-3yrds away then why is it illegal to stick a boot out when the keeper has ridiculously thrown the ball in your direction?

The blame lays with one man only and that’s the keeper.

I understand the terminology of the law but you have to draw the line somewhere and I believe last night was more than fair.

Liverpool fan posting alert! My first reaction was goal. Karrius made a huge goalie woopsie and got punished. Every time I see it it is being thrown out to a player and intercepted by Benzema. Fair goal good decision poor goal keeping. And then the third goal ........ I will be surprised if he ever pulls on a Liverpool shirt again. 2 huge mistakes and a wonder goal. Well done Madrid from a sad Liverpool fan

Bloody shame he’ll probably never face England either.

If the Belgium lad played in goal last night you don’t lose.

Did Benzema challenge Karius while he was still in control of the ball? No. Karius had thrown the ball to distribute it so he was no longer in control of it once it was released from his hands. However, the GK is still in control of the ball while "throwing it in the air" when they are going to punt it. That's why you see it called when an attacker prevents the GK from punting the ball.
The part of the law about not being allowed to challenge a keeper when they have control of the ball is not really the most applicable section. The part that most closely applies here, is surely the one that says it is an offence if a player:
prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from the hands or kicks or attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the process of releasing it

The question for me is, what do the phrases "prevents [...] from releasing" and "in the process of releasing" mean, exactly? I think we all agree that a forward sticking a leg in when the keeper has thrown the ball up to kick it is an offence but what about situations like this when the goalie is throwing it out? For me, that is a whole lot less clear. I can see arguments both ways.

Player is at least THREE yards from the keepers release and flat footed (no challenge), how has he possibly prevented his release??? Keeper then released it and he charged the throw down. GOAL.... next!!

Player is at least THREE yards from the keepers release and flat footed (no challenge), how has he possibly prevented his release??? Keeper then released it and he charged the throw down. GOAL.... next!!
He hasn't prevented the release, but has he kicked or attempted to kick the ball while the keeper was in the process of releasing it? Depending on how exactly you define "in the process of releasing it," you could conceivably argue yes - or no.

He hasn't prevented the release, but has he kicked or attempted to kick the ball while the keeper was in the process of releasing it? Depending on how exactly you define "in the process of releasing it," you could conceivably argue yes - or no.
The picture though doesn't back up your argument Peter, he hasn't prevented anything, the release has occurred when he challenges!!

Wonder what VAR would have made of it?

For me, initial reaction was no goal, as it looked he had attempted to prevent the release, but subsequently I’m not so sure.
Can see the arguments both ways, ultimately Karius should have been more aware.

On last nights goal I’d say the ball had been released and was on its journey fully packed with passport in hand, the process was long over.

Simple solution no player can stand in a 5yrd radius of keeper when he has ball in hand, if you make an attempt to block or any such like within 5yrds when ball has been released it’s a caution.

But for me Benzema goal was a ok.

It was obvious why this Law was brought in, sneaky strikers nicking the ball in the throws of release left a big chance of injury etc etc... On the two cases stated so far there is no way that I'd be chalking either off... I had it a few times in my career and first time its a warning, second time I'm carding, strikers at the lower end still live in the dark ages and anything goes!! Its often a shock to them that its even an offence!!

No, but that's why the distance is important as I believe it is the intention to challenge or block the ball whilst the keeper has it under control. I put it at two yards max, and when Karius is still touching the ball, Benzema is moving his leg to block the ball. It's definitely fishy for me. It might be a **** up by the goalkeeper but that doesn't mean it's right by law. That's why we are all here in these threads, to look back at decisions and come to the right conclusion with the benefit of time and replays so we can learn and hopefully apply it to our own games.

It goes to show though, the Wilson/Bournemouth that @bester posted was disallowed and the Benzema goal was allowed so there's definitely a difference in how this law is applied sometimes.
By Lee Mason, yes

100% goal for me, Division 4 Dog & Duck goalkeeping for this and particulally the other one! Why do GKs try and Parry shots these days, surely they know the current guidelines on picking the ball back up? :devil: Sadly, this one was in the back of his net!!View attachment 1986

Its all about which frame you use isn't it? Try this one
1527408479723.png

Here is why I think it shouldn't be a goal. The keeper is given 6 seconds of control of the ball. To balance this he can't be challenged and must be allowed to freely release the ball. The most important aspect of the laws of the game is that they must be fair. Allowing this sort of challenge/blocking the release is unfair, why? every time the keeper has the ball, get a few attackers to surround him and close off his options, you are not really challenging him but waiting for a release to block him the same way in this clip. Surly that mean the keeper either has to throw the ball away over the top or throw it at a blocking opponent. Anything else he will take more than 6 seconds.

For me, the intent of the law is simple, leave the keeper alone and in turn he has only has 6 seconds to get rid of the ball.

The question for me is, what do the phrases "prevents [...] from releasing" and "in the process of releasing" mean, exactly? I think we all agree that a forward sticking a leg in when the keeper has thrown the ball up to kick it is an offence but what about situations like this when the goalie is throwing it out? For me, that is a whole lot less clear. I can see arguments both ways.

Surely going by the wording of the second part you quoted and the reference to kicking the ball, a player could head the ball and that isn’t technically an offence?

First time poster - please be gentle.

I’m confused by this.

If Karius is kicking the ball upfield and Benzema does the same thing I.e. step across and lift a foot to block the kick - is that not a foul?

Found a clip of Chris smalling getting booked for this in 2014 (albeit from slightly closer to the keeper)

https://www.balls.ie/football/gifs-chris-smalling-yellow-cards-vs-man-city-150886

So was the smalling decision wrong?

Or should they be judged differently because of the distance from the keeper (smalling half a yard vs Benzema two yards?) that would seem strange given it’s the same action i.e. sticking out a leg to block

Or because ones a throw and ones a kick?

But he clearly didn't!! The pic (post 39) clearly shows the release and the player isn't challenging him, how much evidence do you need!!! Clearly! :ninja:
An attacker jumping in front of a keeper as he's kicking isn't challenging - what's the difference between doing that and sticking the foot out to block a roll?

If it’s not illegal to stand 2-3yrds away then why is it illegal to stick a boot out when the keeper has ridiculously thrown the ball in your direction?

The blame lays with one man only and that’s the keeper.

I understand the terminology of the law but you have to draw the line somewhere and I believe last night was more than fair.
It's illegal because the laws prevent an opponent from blocking the release. He had to move and stretch to block the release - the ball wasn't thrown right at him.

On last nights goal I’d say the ball had been released and was on its journey fully packed with passport in hand, the process was long over.

Simple solution no player can stand in a 5yrd radius of keeper when he has ball in hand, if you make an attempt to block or any such like within 5yrds when ball has been released it’s a caution.

But for me Benzema goal was a ok.

The ball may have left his hand but the path of the ball was immediately blocked. That doesn't seem like a release, in the spirit of the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back