A&H

Check those competition rules!

A&H International
Everyone needs to know them! Sure the officials first and foremost (and they've royally screwed up here) but clubs do as well, at every level.

Amazing how many times I get asked if it's rolling/extra time/sin bins etc.

What consequences, if any, will the refereeing team face after this?
Firing squad, I suppose . . . .

Seriously, whether there is a formal suspension or not it is likely to affect appointments--that's a pretty big miss. And way too high a level for none of the four officials to actually know the rule and prevent it. (But also both teams should have known and realized the ref was telling them the wrong thing--how do you prepare for a game without knowing the rules on substitutions?)

What consequences, if any, will the refereeing team face after this?
Suspension. At least 2 weeks, possibly greater. Others like @RustyRef will know better than I but I’ve heard of similar periods for match officials who have fallen foul of this on the recent past.

Firing squad, I suppose . . . .

Seriously, whether there is a formal suspension or not it is likely to affect appointments--that's a pretty big miss. And way too high a level for none of the four officials to actually know the rule and prevent it. (But also both teams should have known and realized the ref was telling them the wrong thing--how do you prepare for a game without knowing the rules on substitutions?)
I was 4th Official for a FA Youth Cup tie this week and believe me, we read and reread the competition rules more than once!
And yes, we did go to extra time!

Last edited:
Still waiting to hear what is going to happen in the deciding African qualifier when the winning team used four sub moments in the 2nd half.

I was 4th Official for a FA Youth Cup tie this week and believe me, we read and reread the competition rules more than once!
And yes, we did go to extra time!
Yeah, I did a women's FA Cup middle last Sunday and was more paranoid then normalabout getting the comp rules right!

Surprised they have allowed the red card to stand. I would have thought they would wipe the slate clean for the game.

Are any yellows still counted? I'm out of touch with the ins and outs but in the FA Cup do you have a totting up protocol and have a ban for the next round after too many yellows?

Surprised they have allowed the red card to stand. I would have thought they would wipe the slate clean for the game.

Are any yellows still counted? I'm out of touch with the ins and outs but in the FA Cup do you have a totting up protocol and have a ban for the next round after too many yellows?

all discipline is retained from any abandoned games so same should apply here

all discipline is retained from any abandoned games so same should apply here

The discipline one is kinda two faced as yes sanctions issued apply, but, should say a player be missing the gane thro suspension, the game does not count as a game sat out via suspension,

Reactions: es1
Yeah, I did a women's FA Cup middle last Sunday and was more paranoid then normalabout getting the comp rules right!
Had several discussions about this the last few weeks with fellow officials.

General point/question we've made is why not standardise competition rules?

Isthmian U18s No sin bins, U23s DO have sins bins a clear example - many, many others.

Had several discussions about this the last few weeks with fellow officials.

General point/question we've made is why not standardise competition rules?

Isthmian U18s No sin bins, U23s DO have sins bins a clear example - many, many others.

nah, why make things easy for ourselves...?

or, if you are going to have specific rules, clearly publish them (ideally alongside other leagues / cups), not buried on page 28 of the rules

nah, why make things easy for ourselves...?

or, if you are going to have specific rules, clearly publish them (ideally alongside other leagues / cups), not buried on page 28 of the rules
Some comps do make some effort.

Doing a Women's Intermediate Cup game on Sunday - read the rules, all fine & clear - I hope!

However, they also publish a "Guidelines document" which contains all the important stuff - subs, pens (not et), sin bins etc but is much shorter because it omits all the player, teams eligibility and other non relevant (to the referee) stuff!

Some comps do make some effort.

Doing a Women's Intermediate Cup game on Sunday - read the rules, all fine & clear - I hope!

However, they also publish a "Guidelines document" which contains all the important stuff - subs, pens (not et), sin bins etc but is much shorter because it omits all the player, teams eligibility and other non relevant (to the referee) stuff!

that's all you need!

but how hard would it be for the FA to realease one containing a breakdown for the main FA comps

same for all step 2-7 and beyond leagues and their cups

would take someone a few days to pull it together and it would save a huge amout of trouble

that's all you need!

but how hard would it be for the FA to realease one containing a breakdown for the main FA comps

would take someone a few days to pull it together and it would save a huge amout of trouble
Yes agree. Did a women's FA Cup first round toe last weekend. Made a point of being clear on the comp rules - ET if level at 90, 3 subs from 7, then you get a 4th if it's gone to ET, no sin bins.

One of the secretaries tried to tell me about concussion subs, I'd checked before the game about these and the rules stated that they only apply from the 3rd Round Proper onwards, he was adamant that they were in play, so I had to wave the competition rules under his nose to confirm it.

that's all you need!

Could be done as a matrix.

Sinbins yes no
Number of subs etc etc.

Reactions: es1
Back