A&H

Chelsea v Brighton

The Referee Store
Shocking decision, that's a red all day long, thankfully contact was not full on otherwise that could be a leg breaker.

I'm sure someone on the Internet could replace the pitch for a sand pit and get Rudiger winning gold in the long jump.

Speechless.

It would have been a full on clean snap if that caught his leg, no way would a bone take that much force.

So full speed 2 footed flying lunges are no longer a red?
Did you hear mark cluttenburg (pretty sure that’s the wrong spelling) talking about it- saying its not a red because there was no direct contact and he has slid in front of him rather than into him? Interesting.

Did you hear mark cluttenburg (pretty sure that’s the wrong spelling) talking about it- saying its not a red because there was no direct contact and he has slid in front of him rather than into him? Interesting.
Yeah, was an interesting take on it. Although whenever have you heard a referee pundit/guest disagree with the onfield decision?

That is MC trying to find the best excuse possible.

Yes he did slide... After flying through the air for 5 meters before landing on the floor.

The inconstancies are annoying, I know every tackle is different and taken on its own merits, but once again the criteria for a red have been met. If you let that go on a Sunday every player starts doing the same and someone risk being seriously hurt. Not sure why Clattenburg says its okay because the offending player goes in front of the attacker and therefore its not a dangerous tackle

Yeah, was an interesting take on it. Although whenever have you heard a referee pundit/guest disagree with the onfield decision?

That is MC trying to find the best excuse possible.

Yes he did slide... After flying through the air for 5 meters before hitting the floor and sliding
I agree. I would have probably gone red. I get where he’s coming from- but it’s something I feel a player would say to me (if you get what I mean)

It's very fortunate the contact was just before the Brighton player so it was much less severe than it could of been if it was a split second later. That still should not excuse it mind, its a clear red for me and one where you do think did MD went for the safe yellow option as we seem too see alot with PL refs

Rudiger seems to have red mist moment in almost every game, it's at best a crazy "challenge". Not sure what Chelsea's complaints were, he didn't get anywhere near the ball. Both Rudiger and Lamptey were lucky it wasn't more serious.

Previously there was guidance in these challenges that ran this:

No contact with opponent or ball - yellow
Contact with ball but not opponent - yellow
Contact with opponent and ball - red
Contact with opponent but not ball - red

The point was that a 2-footed challenge on its one is not automatically red. You need to consider the other factors in serious foul play here and the challenge as made, was poor for certain. But it wasn’t quite over the line for SFP. It is reckless, without question and therefore a caution is correct.

Any kind of substantive or significant contact on Lamptey would see him sent off.

If there is a two footed lunging tackle that could not be a red I guess this is it. Brighton didn't even seem that bothered by it so Dean probably did what was expected by the players.

Haven't seen any replays, but not convinced it was a foul by Mason Mount just outside the Brighton penalty area shortly before Brighton's 90th minute equaliser. No complaints about the result though, Brighton deserved a point at least and Chelsea were poor for most of the game.

Haven't seen any replays, but not convinced it was a foul by Mason Mount just outside the Brighton penalty area shortly before Brighton's 90th minute equaliser. No complaints about the result though, Brighton deserved a point at least and Chelsea were poor for most of the game.
Agreed! Being a Brighton fan myself, I think we did quite well actually. Only problem is Yves Bissouma racking up too many yellows!

He got away with it because he lunged in front of Lamptey rather than at him. Any significant kind of contact and he would have been off.

One of the "what does the game expect" things, and I honestly don't think anyone outside of referees expects a red there simply because he hasn't made contact. Had that lunge made contact with Lamptey everyone would be expecting to see red.

He got away with it because he lunged in front of Lamptey rather than at him. Any significant kind of contact and he would have been off.

One of the "what does the game expect" things, and I honestly don't think anyone outside of referees expects a red there simply because he hasn't made contact. Had that lunge made contact with Lamptey everyone would be expecting to see red.
Agreed.

Commentary team said it was his 5th yellow in 8 games and tonight was his first game back following a ban :confused: Looks a hell of a player though!
Yes, that’s right! He’s just come back from a ban. He is a brilliant player although he had a sexual assault case against him recently so whenever he has a good game, that’s all everyone talks about

All this sorta nonsense should be in the book then. No point arbitrarily telling some Refs this and not others. I haven't seen the tackle, but these secret interpretations (even if this one is historic) do my nut in

I actually think alot of fans think it should of been a red card and if Brighton was at home, I would say the likelyhood of the red card coming out increases due to the influence of the crowd.

For me it's a dangerous tackle, 2 feet off the ground, high intensity and with 2 feet off the ground how can you be in control and just the fact there was not much contact should not mean it's only a yellow.

Back