A&H

Chelsea v Man Utd

Luke Shaw said in his press club defence after that the referee said he didn’t give it as it would be too much of a talking point in the media ...

The Referee Store
Luke Shaw said in his press club defence after that the referee said he didn’t give it as it would be too much of a talking point in the media ...

Yes, and he said that Harry Maguire had told him that the referee said that. I've been involved in a situation where players have reported that I said something that I most definitely didn't, so I take these post match interviews with a view that there may well be a serious case of Chinese whispers.

Personally think it's an entirely natural playing position but what does the ball say about handling the ball above shoulder height? VAR entirely right to intervene.

We managed a season and a half of VAR with the referees almost never not taking the advice of VAR, and now 2 weeks in a row, a referee has gone to the monitor, given it a cursory look and then stuck to their initial decision. Coincidence or timing or has something changed?
Yes, totally agree, what's the point of VAR if all they are going to do is refer of back to the referee.

I just don't think there is any need for VAR to get involved there, and if they hadn't no one would have even been discussing this. At the time there wasn't a single appeal from United players, the appeals were from Chelsea players who though Greenwood had handled it.

For me this is the level of forensic involvement that isn't good for VAR and I am pleased that Attwell had the courage to stand by his decision.

Imo the need to get involved is there because it's an absolute nailed on pen! The VAR can't ask 100 people and then only refer it to the ref if 100 think he's wrong.

Clear and obvious makes no sense and has no boundaries or definitions so it's pointless using referring to it

Imo the need to get involved is there because it's an absolute nailed on pen! The VAR can't ask 100 people and then only refer it to the ref if 100 think he's wrong.

Clear and obvious makes no sense and has no boundaries or definitions so it's pointless using referring to it
I wasn't watching the game properly (on in the background). When I noticed the incident was being reviewed, I couldn't tell which PA it was in, nor could I tell which player was defensive, against which the HB might have been given. 100% polystyrene nails IMO haha
Like Rusty said, without VAR forensics, it probably wouldn't have merited a talking point at all. Maybe even gone unnoticed by most

Yes, and he said that Harry Maguire had told him that the referee said that. I've been involved in a situation where players have reported that I said something that I most definitely didn't, so I take these post match interviews with a view that there may well be a serious case of Chinese whispers.

Mark Clattenburg can definately relate to that one!

For me I think it's a penelty but there definately does seem to be a trend of referees reluctant to call handball situations right away. In fairness to Attwell he probably did not see it fully in real time but its something that people are picking up on.

Also the PGMOL really don't help themselves in terms of appointments, why on earth would they put Chris Kavanagh on given he's from Manchester, that just giving fuel to the social media lot for bias sadly.

BTW, my not having seen the incident properly, is no barrier to me having a 'view on it'!

But the protocols say it has to be a clear and obvious error for VAR to get involved (unless a factual decision), and I don't think this was even close to that. For me both players have realised they are going to collide and have both raised their arms.

We all know that players appeal for anything and everything. If not a single Man Utd player appealed for handball here can the referee have really made a clear and obvious error? I just don't see how.

But the protocols say it has to be a clear and obvious error for VAR to get involved (unless a factual decision), and I don't think this was even close to that. For me both players have realised they are going to collide and have both raised their arms.

We all know that players appeal for anything and everything. If not a single Man Utd player appealed for handball here can the referee have really made a clear and obvious error? I just don't see how.

That's fine...But I on the exact opposite side of the argument that it's a stonewall pen. If the VAR sees it that way too then in his own mind he's right to get the ref to review it

It seems to me a lot of people say VAR shouldn’t get involved as its not c&o, forgetting we have no idea what any of the verbal communications have said.

its very possible Atwell has said to me it hit the utd player in the shoulder.
VAR ref says the have a look at the screen, as its hit in a players hand not a shoulder.
Atwell sees the screen and decides its not a penalty.

no issue with this at all

Reactions: es1
Pre-VAR maybe you can make the case for him missing it and argue all day long whether it was or wasn't a penalty.

But, we're in VAR times now, and they looked at it, saw it was a handling of the ball and I think, it has to be given. Fans understandably, cannot fathom why punting the ball into the hand at close range is a penalty, but this isn't. I get that it would be a lame decision really, it's one of those where if we spot it on the parks we'd apply common sense and say get on with it, but with VAR you can't do that anymore.

Personally, I think this was the wrong decision, and it hasn't done anything to improve Attwell's standing in my eyes, I'm not his biggest fan anyway though! :p Just give the penalty, have PGMOL blame IFAB for it and go home. >_>

Agree with the above completely really. No issue whatsoever if the on field referee misses this, or even gives it as a defensive FK, it's an incredibly tough decision to make live. But as soon as the VAR starts to take a detailed look, it HAS to be a penalty, failing to end up at that conclusion is a significant failure.

Regardless of whether it was a HB or not, the rules have changed mid-season
The PGMOL started out down the Champions League route but took a lot of stick and have since changed what represents HB
Both of which have been questionable
I've seen the incident again this morning from the reverse angle and can see why a PK was expected. Sorry to @es1 for pushing his buttons!

Regardless of whether it was a HB or not, the rules have changed mid-season
The PGMOL started out down the Champions League route but took a lot of stick and have since changed what represents HB
Both of which have been questionable
I've seen the incident again this morning from the reverse angle and can see why a PK was expected. Sorry to @es1 for pushing his buttons!

i'll forgive you :)

Referee hat on:- Should this have been a penalty? Yes, absolutely. Once the Stuart Attwell had been advised to review on the screen, thought it was nigh on certain to be given. :eek:
Chelsea fan hat on:- Pleasantly surprised and relieved it wasn't given especially with what has gone before so far this season. Whilst I don't agree with the common belief banded around that "these thing balance themselves up over a season", on this occasion it does make up for Maguire's headlock on Azpilicueta being ignored/missed at Old Trafford earlier in the season :)

Reactions: es1
Harry McGuire has said Shaw has misheard him

Fair enough - we don't always get those tidbits on this side of the Atlantic. But I would say that a statement like that from Shaw, if false and not supported in fact whatsoever, deserves a pretty significant punishment. Insinuating that a referee isn't making a decision because of perceived media pressure is a terrible look. We're in an age where commentators and pundits are spewing completely wrong information about the Laws of the Game and throwing referees under the bus. A false statement like that from a player certainly does not help things. Maybe it's not quite as bad as calling a referee a cheat, but it does call a referee's integrity into question.

Back