A&H

Citee V Ars

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee
Called a pen in real time on Aguero and it was on replay!! Lucky boy!!!

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Thought Aguero should have had a pen early on for being dragged back. I'm fine with the Aguero goal as the laws stand, it doesn't feel right but it's definitely accidental so goal. Gundogan 'dive' wasn't a dive, they've just collided, play on.

Think Atkinson is probably reaching the end of what has been a fantastic tenure soon - seemed behind play all the time and struggling to keep up, gave a few odd free kicks the wrong way to both teams. Nothing terrible but certainly nowhere near his high quality

Its a goal, similar to the Wolves one on the opening day, still doesn't quite sit right with me that you can score a goal with hand or arm but according to current LOTG thats a perfectly good goal

Agree but not according the 'Premier League' who said with VAR it would have been disallowed. This from Ms Logan on MOTD2 so have to be careful berating the 'Premier League' as I haven't seen an actual quote.

Interesting that Jonathan Pearce, that well know misquoter of the LOTG DID say 'next season that won't be a goal, but is this' - I'm guessing he was referring to possible law change and NOT VAR - but with Mr P its hard to tell!

He got a basic offside call wrong, claiming Otemndo offside as well as the 'scorer' The ball sailed about 10 feet over Otemedi's head so no way was he 'offside'.

Pearce in the bin for me that time a shot hit side netting and took him an hour to realise it was not a goal

As funny as that was.

Last edited:
He's one of the better ones but they all spout tripe at times!!!

Blimey - he's not for me.

1) He spouts stats non stop - most of which are not relevant
2) Everytime about this time of year he treats every goal as 'vital' - last week true to -'How crucial could THAT goal be in the title race' - its early Feb you buffoon
3) He's not alone as we all know - but mate you get paid to commentate at least read and TRY to understand the laws and don't guess/ spout nonsense if you can't be bothered to do that
4) He 'voices' some extra commentary after the game - just to make himself look prophetic

Apart from that - yeah - one of the better ones!:rolleyes::p;)

I suppose they all are about cliche's and trying to be over informative... Who can have the best stat about possession or historical boloney.

Sky do my **** in with over analytical clap trap looking for something to blurt about endlessly from multiple angles!! Always looking for the next person to blame or put a failing manager in the sack race!!

Mr Gallagher quoted (not sure where): DERMOT SAYS: In March, if a ball goes in the net of an attacker's arm it will be disallowed. It's on the list for a law amendment.

Is it? (Presumably reverting to the old rule that a goal can't be scored off hand or arm, even if accidental)

Mr Gallagher quoted (not sure where): DERMOT SAYS: In March, if a ball goes in the net of an attacker's arm it will be disallowed. It's on the list for a law amendment.

Is it? (Presumably reverting to the old rule that a goal can't be scored off hand or arm, even if accidental)

Yes - its going to be something along the lines of if an advantage is gained by ball hitting hand/arm then its going to be penalised, even if accidental.

Won't just apply to goals, if I remember what was posted earlier in the year correctly.

Yes - its going to be something along the lines of if an advantage is gained by ball hitting hand/arm then its going to be penalised, even if accidental.

Won't just apply to goals, if I remember what was posted earlier in the year correctly.
So a lot of attackers aiming the ball at defenders' elbows in the PA then.

Lets just rip up the law book now,,,, has to be deliberate!
IFAB have every right to change the law. And I'd much rather that they made this change they're talking about that the current situation where the interpretation of HB depends what country or level you are playing at.

I agree but as it stands that wasn’t deliberate hand ball, period.

Change the law then that’s fine also but it’s one rule for all or leave it alone!

So a lot of attackers aiming the ball at defenders' elbows in the PA then.

As I recall things it only referred to goals scored, so blasting the ball at a defender's elbows would be somewhat futile.

As it stands Aguero didn't even come close to intentionally handling the ball so the goal has to stand, no matter how harsh that might be.

As it stands Aguero didn't even come close to intentionally handling the ball so the goal has to stand, no matter how harsh that might be.
It's funny, I know I'm in a minority on this but I don't see it as harsh in any way if a goal is scored by the ball hitting the hand in a way which is clearly not handball under the current laws. To me. it's just 'one of those things' in the same way as, for example, the ball deflecting into the goal off the referee. By contrast, the idea that something would be classed as handball if it led to a goal but not be similarly viewed anywhere else on the pitch just seems highly illogical :). We all happily accept that players can gain an advantage through an accidental handball .. so why not in this case?

Back